Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Efficient Ripping /Archive on Mac OS X (Read 2738 times) previous topic - next topic

Efficient Ripping /Archive on Mac OS X

I have been a Mac OS X user for a few months now and have been refining my workflow by reading on here and other mac / audio websites. Here is where I'm at

I want a process to
1) Create an exact copy of cd
2) Create a lossless Archive of same CD
3) encode individual tracks for portable use (ogg or lame I don't mind).

I currently do it this way
1) Run a script I have written that uses CDRDAO to  rip CD into a bin & Toc File
The script then creates a Flac file from the bin. Then Uses CDRDAO to write the toc/Bin to a copy CD. (then delete bin)

2)Manually Create a Folder based on CD Artist/Name and move Flac and Toc into Folder for Archive. _ will burn these to DVD later)
3) Re Rip the Cd with CD Paranoia to create wavs of individual tracks and manually tag/encode with oggenc, Or import to Itunes with Itunes lame.

I am looking for a way to make this more efficient without sacrificing either the accuracy of the rips or quality of encoding. I would particularly like to avoid one of the ripping processes i.e. can I split the bin or Flac file easily to create my mp3s/oggs. Also I am unclear on the Mac how to include metadata / Cue sheet in My Flac using the above process.

Reply #1
You can split the large FLAC file into separate tracks according to the TOC file using shntool/xACT but you'll probably need to run the file through toc2cue first. This will produce files named split-track***.*** but you can rename them according to the CUE with cuerename (from earlier releases of cuetools...I think up to 0.6) or manually if you're having to do that anyway with oggenc.

You need to edit & save the CUE before using it with shnsplit so that the first line is the one beginning:

FILE "MTB.wav" WAVE....etc.

If you don't already have the various binaries installed then xACT will get you up and running more quickly.

Reply #2
Sorry, use cueconvert rather than toc2cue to prepare the CUE file.