Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: specific requirements - looking for compact model recommendation (Read 7080 times) previous topic - next topic

specific requirements - looking for compact model recommendation

hi,

I have a specific requirements (all below a must) for audio compact equipment but am not able to find anything that meets the criteria.

please can you guys help mi finding suitable model?

- CD
- mp3/flac
- usb (fat + ntfs)
- bluetooth
- optical out
- dimension - max 33 cm
- min 50W

Was looking at things like Pioneer X-HM72 or Denon RCDN-9 but strangely they do not support ntfs...

any thoughts?

Reply #1
Why do you need NTFS support? Audio files don't tend to be larger than 4 GB.
Since you ask for optical out, I would suggest you build yourself media center.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2

most usbs/external drives are already ntsf formated

Reply #3

.... and can easily be reformatted to FAT32.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #4

Come again?

I'm pretty sure 99% of consumer media comes formatted with one of the FAT variants.
Creature of habit.

Reply #5
you guys serious?
I will not be using usbs/external drives dedicated to store only music but the one that I have in hand at the moment and at this moment most of the one I have are ntfs formated

and yes, they could be reformatted but also I could just convert the files to wav and burn cd so there would be no need for usb/mp3/flac support. or buy a $1 cable to plug my phone hence no need for bluetooth support. and so on... you get the point?

Reply #6
NTFS is a proprietary format. I'm guessing it may be prohibitvely expensive to provide NTFS support in an off-the-shelf micro system.

For example, the solution of NTFS-3G plus FUSE which is relatively common on non-Microsoft desktop systems is relatively CPU intense. So my guess is that whatever hardware is in such a micro system would have trouble handling NTFS.

Reply #7
Yes, we get the point.

The point is everyone is unaware of any off-the-shelf hardware solution having your rather particular and unbending set of requirements.  If you are unwilling to challenge any of those requirements you almost certainly have zero such solutions.
Creature of habit.

Reply #8

IME true of hard drives, but not generally true of USB flash drives or SD cards in common sizes (32 GB or less).  The discussion at hand appears to relate to SD cards.

Reply #9
NTFS is a proprietary format. I'm guessing it may be prohibitvely expensive to provide NTFS support in an off-the-shelf micro system.

For example, the solution of NTFS-3G plus FUSE which is relatively common on non-Microsoft desktop systems is relatively CPU intense. So my guess is that whatever hardware is in such a micro system would have trouble handling NTFS.

all the smart tvs Ive ever used had no problems handling ntfs so my guess is that the same is possible with audio systems
of course Im not 100% sure thats why Im asking - so far Im getting speculations...

I see it that way:

1. non compact audio systems support ntfs and someone can provide a valid proof for that
2. some of compact audio systems support ntfs and someone can recommend a specific brand/model

Reply #10
Supporting NTFS requires licensing patents from Microsoft. In audio it's extremely rare to encounter file sizes north of 4GB so the cost/benefit of licensing NTFS doesn't make sense. Your example of smart TVs will often need to play back HD video content, which quite often exceeds 4GB file sizes so maybe there they can justify the costs.

Reply #11

all the smart tvs Ive ever used had no problems handling ntfs so my guess is that the same is possible with audio systems

Some Android devices will do NTFS, but not most.  Anything old enough to be microsoft based will probably support it as well.  But for newer products thats going to be tough.  Maybe you can find an Android device that advertises NTFS (or test some in a store to see if the vendor licensed the NTFS format from Microsoft), but you'll probably have to look at a mini Windows PC of some kind if you must have NTFS. 

Reply #12
Your example of smart TVs will often need to play back HD video content, which quite often exceeds 4GB file sizes so maybe there they can justify the costs.

sadly, that makes sense :/

Ill try to work around the ntfs problem. So my specs looks like that now:

- CD
- mp3/flac
- usb
- bluetooth
- optical IN (out was a mistake)
- dimension - max 33 cm
- min 50W

Any recommendations for a quality set? I assume that the speakers will need to be bought separately

Reply #13
Your example of smart TVs will often need to play back HD video content, which quite often exceeds 4GB file sizes so maybe there they can justify the costs.

- CD
- mp3/flac
- usb
- bluetooth
- dimension - max 33 cm
- min 50W

Any recommendations for a quality set? I assume that the speakers will need to be bought separately

If such a device exists, I have no idea what it would be called.

Reply #14
Network streaming is filesystem agnostic, that would get around the NTFS problem for you.

Reply #16
Supporting NTFS requires licensing patents from Microsoft. In audio it's extremely rare to encounter file sizes north of 4GB so the cost/benefit of licensing NTFS doesn't make sense. Your example of smart TVs will often need to play back HD video content, which quite often exceeds 4GB file sizes so maybe there they can justify the costs.

Windows NT 3.1 which included NTFS was publicly introduced on July 27, 1993 which was > 22 years ago.  Most patents run out after 18 years.

Reply #17
Irrelevant. Mp3 was released in 1993 as well and we're still dealing with patents on that 22 years later. Plus NTFS has undergone several version iterations since then and you can bet MS has patents on every little detail they can.

Reply #18
Irrelevant. Mp3 was released in 1993 as well and we're still dealing with patents on that 22 years later. Plus NTFS has undergone several version iterations since then and you can bet MS has patents on every little detail they can.

Seemingly vague to the point of meaninglessness. What does "Dealing with patents" really mean? Does it mean that nothing can be done by anybody else with NTFS forever, or does it mean that if you want to do something with NTFS, you have to be careful?

Given that we have Lame, Ogg, and Speex which are  effective but that were specifically designed to skirt the MP3 patents that are still active, it must means the latter.

Apparently many more MP3 patents run out in 2017.

For example: Patent status

Interesting comment:

"There are no NTFS patents known."  Your comment seems to be preaching fear of the dark.

Reply #19

- CD
- mp3/flac
- usb
- bluetooth
- dimension - max 33 cm
- min 50W

What do you need the optical input for?
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #21
My suggestion would be a combo, something like the Sony BDP-S5500 and TEAC AI-301DA.
You should be able to plug your NTFS HD into the Sony (I use my older Sony for such). Control with you phone/GUI. Connect via coax to Teac, leaving the optical for your TV. Use your phone for bluetooth music?

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #22
thx but this looks more pricey, less handy and less powerfull than HM72/RCDN-9 option
I'm not sure if getting ntfs is worth it...

any other suggestions?