Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Pci/pci-e audio interface with an equalizer? (Read 7174 times) previous topic - next topic

Pci/pci-e audio interface with an equalizer?

I am beginning to look into updating my rig, and one of the things that has bugged me about the internal audio is the lack of any global equalization options. (Thanks for dumbing down the drivers realtek  ) Since I am not doing any kind of audio production I want to have everything tuned to my tastes in one central location.

Looking around though it seems as though software equalization is not as common as I would have expected.  Currently I am driving a set of KSC-75's and a Pioneer  SX-626 hooked to two Technics SB-L72's for gaming music listening. I would like to stay in the <$200 range. I had kind of wanted something like a ESI Audio Juli@ but I would also Like to avoid buying extra hardware.

If anyone has any opinion I would be happy to hear it.

In addition if I am better off with an external stereo EQ, would I be able to hook a multi-channel headphone amp like the Behringer HA400 to it and feed to the stereo and headphones or would this be a bad idea. (I plan on buying one eventually anyway, just want somebody to say this is a horrible idea if it is before I kill something)

Reply #1
In addition if I am better off with an external stereo EQ, would I be able to hook a multi-channel headphone amp like the Behringer HA400 to it and feed to the stereo and headphones or would this be a bad idea.
That's no problem.    You can safely hook-up multiple line-level inputs together (such as running one soundcard output into two amplifiers inputs) with Y-adapter.   

What you should never do is hook two outputs together, such as running your soundcard output and your CD output into one amp-input at the same time.   

Reply #2
In addition if I am better off with an external stereo EQ, would I be able to hook a multi-channel headphone amp like the Behringer HA400 to it and feed to the stereo and headphones or would this be a bad idea.
That's no problem.    You can safely hook-up multiple line-level inputs together (such as running one soundcard output into two amplifiers inputs) with Y-adapter.   

What you should never do is hook two outputs together, such as running your soundcard output and your CD output into one amp-input at the same time.

Sorry, I was a bit unclear there unless I am reading your post wrong. I meant feeding one of the outs from the headphone amp into the stereo input. Though I guess I could just have a y outside the EQ like you said.

Reply #3
Older Creative soundcards with the KX driver can do global EQ and a lot more.

The good thing is that those soundcards (SB Live, Audigy...) are very cheap. With some luck you can get one for free.
The bad thing is they're not that great in specs regarding sound quality. (Looking at RMAA tests for SB Live, at least. Might not be audible.)

Reply #4
E-Mu 0404 or 1212m

Reply #5
E-Mu 0404 or 1212m

Those look perfect. Aside from not having 7.1 which I don't really care about, is there any reason being a gamer to not go this direction vs a consumer oriented card?

While I would like to build up a pro-audio setup in the future for audio recording, for now how do I get into the world of line level I/O? Am I best off getting something like a XENYX 502 to take my mic up to line level output to the stereo and a headphone amp? (Right now I only have a cheap mic for gaming so that seems way overkill for now)

Or should I just use something like the XENYX on the output side to get a headphone out and speaker out and just use the integrated audio for now on the mic to avoid needing to buy even more equipment (though if you know of a nice cheap little thing to get a line in that would work also)

Reply #6

The 'Y' cord story is not always true. I have 2 Technics receivers on the output of the computer and was getting some very strange distortion. Turns out the Technics receivers of that vintage use JFET input select switch chips that conduct excess input signal to the power bus but when the receiver is off it shunts off signal greater than 1 silicon diode drop. SO, a solution is to use a distribution amplifier that gives a private buffered output to each destination. Just something to be aware of.

Reply #7
@ jamtliln - it's USB 2.0 not PCi/e but this device looks like it might suit your requirements and at a fair price (~£130).

Audio Interface.

They also do a cheaper version with only 2 ins and 2 outs.

Reply #8
I am beginning to look into updating my rig, and one of the things that has bugged me about the internal audio is the lack of any global equalization options. (Thanks for dumbing down the drivers realtek  ) Since I am not doing any kind of audio production I want to have everything tuned to my tastes in one central location.

My realtek drivers, newest ones, have EQ, I just had to click on the button to get it. Don't you have the same?
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #9
E-Mu 0404 or 1212m

Those look perfect. Aside from not having 7.1 which I don't really care about, is there any reason being a gamer to not go this direction vs a consumer oriented card?

While I would like to build up a pro-audio setup in the future for audio recording, for now how do I get into the world of line level I/O? Am I best off getting something like a XENYX 502 to take my mic up to line level output to the stereo and a headphone amp? (Right now I only have a cheap mic for gaming so that seems way overkill for now)

Or should I just use something like the XENYX on the output side to get a headphone out and speaker out and just use the integrated audio for now on the mic to avoid needing to buy even more equipment (though if you know of a nice cheap little thing to get a line in that would work also)

I have the 0404. I recorded a session of acoustic drums and bass guitar the other week. I used my Rockboxed iRiver H120 as a ADC for the optical inputs, as a result I had 4 analog inputs in total
For monitoring the stereo output was Y-splitted into two Fiio E5's.

Reply #10
In addition if I am better off with an external stereo EQ, would I be able to hook a multi-channel headphone amp like the Behringer HA400 to it and feed to the stereo and headphones or would this be a bad idea. (I plan on buying one eventually anyway, just want somebody to say this is a horrible idea if it is before I kill something)

Sorry to drag up the dead... but I was just looking into this as well and didn't see it answered in the responses.  Coupe of questions:  1. Have people found that SW equalization is adequate? 2. Do the Behringer products perform accurately?  I've seen good comments from various sources, and the prices certainly seem reasonable.

Oops... I'm bad at math... 3. Any favorite methods to use an equalizer?  Do folks like to just listen to music and tune to their preference or listen to pink noise and try to 'flatten it out'?

Reply #11
What are you planning to do exactly?

Reply #12
What are you planning to do exactly?

If it makes sense, trying to 'flatten' out the bass hump in my AT-m50's.  There's a little bloat in there that I would like to tame to get a more even response.