Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar + Focusrite Saffire 6 = error (Read 3382 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar + Focusrite Saffire 6 = error

So my new Focusrite Saffire 6 USB audio interface arrived today and I've got it all working with all my software aside from foobar (works in ableton, traktor...). I'm currently having to use media player for my tunes.

Here's what I get when I try to play an .mp3:

Unrecoverable playback error: Audio data format not supported by this device (0x88780064)

On Windows 7 64bit SP1.

Reply #1
That message hints that something about the output stream is not compatible with your hardware. Typically, the problem is the sampling rate or bit-depth.

Supported Sample Rates
• 44.1kHz / 48kHz

What sampling rate is your MP3, and/or do you have a resampler active within foobar2000?

As for bit-depth, there is no direct mention thereof on that page, and MP3 does not have an inherent bit-depth, but perhaps foobar2000 is configured to output something other than what the interface supports (whatever that might be).

Reply #2
This is sort of on the lines that I'm thinking on too.

I have no active DSPs.

I get the same error with .wav and .flac and probably any format.

The audio device can be set to 16bit or 24bit, combined with either 44kHz or 48kHz. It doesn't matter what combination I use as I get the same result regardless. So I'm going to leave it on 24bit, 48kHz.

Reply #4
You're using DirectSound, right?

Reply #5
So I'm going to leave it on 24bit, 48kHz.
And are these parameters shared by the files that you are attempting to play?

Why should that matter? I mean, talk about user-friendliness.

For the record, I've got some 24bit 44.1kHz .wav files that I've tried to play with it set in that mode. As I said, it makes no difference. Why should there be any issues if I'm playing a file that has a smaller bit depth and a smaller sample rate than what the device is using?

You're using DirectSound, right?

I guess so?

Reply #6
What does Preferences -> Output -> Device in foobar2000 say? DS = DirectSound which uses whatever format is configured in the Window Control Panel - Sound - Configure the device - Advanced.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #7
It says "Line Out (Saffire 6 USB)".

Direct Sound isn't even an option.

Reply #8
So I'm going to leave it on 24bit, 48kHz.
And are these parameters shared by the files that you are attempting to play?
Why should that matter? I mean, talk about user-friendliness.
Is this a dig at foobar2000? It sends streams at their native resolution without automatically processing them, because it doesn’t mess with anything unless asked. It’s not user-unfriendly to require specific instruction to process something—quite the opposite.

For the record, I've got some 24bit 44.1kHz .wav files that I've tried to play with it set in that mode. As I said, it makes no difference. Why should there be any issues if I'm playing a file that has a smaller bit depth and a smaller sample rate than what the device is using?
It doesn’t matter if it’s bigger or smaller; if the hardware requires and/or is set to a specific rate, and your files do not match, problems are possible.

Reply #10
Okay. Progress.

In the DSP settings, I set the 'convert stereo to 4 channels'. Now it works, however outputting a stereo signal to line 3/4, on top of line 1/2, isn't what I want. Additionally, I set my audio device to only have 2 outputs, removed the DSP setting and I can play music in stereo fine. Ideally I'd like to just leave it in 4 channel mode all the time so I don't have to switch back and forth all the time.

So that's basically where the issue lies. It's trying to send a 2 channel signal to a device with 4 channel output.

As per user-friendliness; why can't foobar be a clever clogs and figure this all out for me?

Does it even appear in Windows' sound preferences?

Oh yes, it's all there and works with every other piece of software I've used with it.