Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Previous" button stops with random playback order (Read 10379 times) previous topic - next topic

"Previous" button stops with random playback order

..."random" - what actually is all this thread is about ;-) Even defining a hotkey for "previous" did not work.
The problem occures with Ver 0.9.5.6 on a Windows Vista 32bit system.

Reply #1
Ever heard of the search function?

This is intentional, unlike with other playback orders random is not reversible. You can't calculate the last song from the current one. The only real logical effect of the command is to stop playback.
fb2k on OSX: flac q8 > rockboxed Sansa e280v1: Vorbis q5.0

Reply #4
I think it's stupid really. Why can't we go back? The player knows what song was the last one played and if it don't, then just add it to the player.
How hard can it be?
It's a real annoying situation when you can't go back and see what song was just playing. The only solution to this problem is adding some kind of "last played" list, which I do not want to do.

So please, add the functionality that at least the last played song is available.

Reply #5
^If you absolutely require this functionality, why not use Shuffle (tracks)?
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #6
Random doesn't keep a history of played tracks. There is no plan to change that. Random is an old-style playback order brought back from the dead for users who whined about it being gone.

If you dislike its behaviour, try "Shuffle (tracks)". Then you will get the functionality you desire.

Reply #7
Shuffle (tracks) doesn't play the same track twice. That's not the behaviour I want. I want random... With previous track functionality.

Reply #8
Then you'll have to use a "last played" type playlist. I recommend foo_navigator for such purposes.

As a non-developing end user, there's plenty of solutions available to you, it's up to you to not be too picky.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #9
If you keep playback statistics and desire random playback, you could always make an autoplaylsit to keep track of the order in which tracks were played. A query like this ought to do:

Code: [Select]
%last_played% PRESENT SORT DESCENDING BY %last_played%

If you want it for you current session or something, try something like this:

Code: [Select]
%last_played% DURING LAST 3 HOURS SORT DESCENDING BY %last_played%

Reply #10
Thanks for the replies all, but I like to keep my foobar lean and mean. No extra plugins that is. I guess I have to live with shuffle.

Reply #11
Random doesn't keep a history of played tracks.

foobar absolutely DOES have a record of what was previous played ... View -> Console. It lists every file it opens for playback.

I understand that it's probably not maintaining an internal list of these files, and it'd probably be "bloaty" to write code to parse the console buffer for the purpose of adding "Previous" functionality to the random playback mode, but I just felt compelled to be annoying and point out that the information is technically available.

Reply #12
I understand that it's probably not maintaining an internal list of these files, and it'd probably be "bloaty" to write code to parse the console buffer for the purpose of adding "Previous" functionality to the random playback mode, but I just felt compelled to be annoying and point out that the information is technically available.
That would not provide you with enough information to implement the "Previous" function properly since it lacks data about the playlist and the position within the playlist. The idea is also a crime against software design.

Reply #13
Why would someone implement play_callback and react to on_playback_new_track when you could do hacky things with a subsystem never meant to provide that information.
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #14
Is it wrong that I'm hoping someone implements this someday just for the sheer number of people it would annoy?  I know, I know, I'm a bad person.

Rather more seriously, it does feel a little weird that the previous button *stops* playback in Random mode rather than, say, jumping to a random track. I'm sure there were good reasons to do this, but conceptually, it feels to me like hitting the next and previous buttons should always lead to *some* track being played.

Re: "Previous" button stops with random playback order

Reply #15
Guys, I'm a programmer myself and I understand the logic for not having the back functionality in random playing but I really miss this functionality. I'm listening on random because I have like 10.000 files and 90% of them I never heard before. I made my shortcuts to jump to next track if I don't like it, jump in time (forward/backward) and so on. I have also created a small windows application (in C#) which will listen for a keyboard shortcut combination and it will read the foobar main window title (I have set it to [%path%] ) and it will copy the audio file to a custom folder. This is a cool idea for sorting my favorite songs and I haven't seen it implemented in foobar - I mean I saw the functionality but I don't want to have any additional popup when I do this because I'm working with music so having another window to choose stuff (press buttons) would be annoying. But what happens if I forget to press my combination before my song ends, how would I go back to my song?
Yes, shuffle is great but it does the shuffle once right? So unless I would pick the play everytime from my last track (which won't happen because I won't keep in mind my track number before I shut down my computer) I'm facing 2 situations. Either I shuffle again my playlist again at startup either I will start playing from some random location skipping some files or playing again some files. In first case it would be a bit annoying to shuffle my list every time and besides I'm not sure how good is the shuffle(random) mechanism implemented. In my personal opinion a random obtain every X minutes is better than Y randoms obtained in <1 second.
Besides even my car player has this function. If I set my player to random, when I press back it will play my track from the beginning but if I press back again it will go back to my previous played song. If there is no such song it will give me another random song.
From coding point of view this is not a huge thing to implement. You can keep in memory last 100 played tracks. that would be at most 100 KBytes of memory used which these days is nothing. I hope I gave you enough arguments.
Also I think winamp has this functionality.

Reply #16
As already stated you can use foo_navigator which provides with a "back" command that you can map to a button.

Reply #17
or foo_bookmarks... continue from the last played position in your shuffled playlist