Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help Converting 5.1 DTS audio CD to lossy 2CH format (Read 8463 times) previous topic - next topic

Help Converting 5.1 DTS audio CD to lossy 2CH format

After installing Foobar2000 DTS decoder plugin I was able to successfully rip the audio from DTS CD to my HDD and all files play fine using Foobar2000, but the 2CH-PCM audio file's bit rate is 4233 Kbps (16 bit)  and only get noise when trying to convert to mp3 using different converters.

Tried using DTS decoder again to convert directly to Mp3 instead and used another software to convert the decoded 4233 Kbps files to Red Book CD specs, but that didn't work either. 

Any one has any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply #1
Converter Setup -> Processing -> DSP -> Active DSPs -> Convert 5.1 to stereo

That's all, folks.

Reply #2
Try TAudioConverter, makes it very easy.

Reply #3
Converter Setup -> Processing -> DSP -> Active DSPs -> Convert 5.1 to stereo

That's all, folks.

I could only find file---> preference-> dsp management---> convert 5.1 to Stereo.. added that to 'active DSPs' and Ripped DTS cd again to my HDD, new files plays fine in WM and Foobar2000, try to convert this files with Foo2000 to MP3 and nothing but noise.

Looking at the file properties: sample rate: 44100 hz. 16bit, bitrate 4233, codec-PCM

O-La-v..... thanks for the tip on TaudioConverter much better that a different one I was using..but converting the files Foobar produced (from  DTS cd) to MP3 didn't work either, the log says "can't find files.." but I suspect the converter can't read the files, then I tried to use TaudioConverter reading directly off the DTS cd in my Drive, but I don't see any way to do that.

any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: I just realized the PCM files created  contain 6 Channels!    that's why the converters do not work, but can someone explain to me how to down-convert to 2CH using Foobar2000 DTS plugin?

Reply #4
Edit: I just realized the PCM files created  contain 6 Channels!    that's why the converters do not work, but can someone explain to me how to down-convert to 2CH using Foobar2000 DTS plugin?
You added the downmixer to the list of DSPs for playback. You need to add it, instead, to the list for the Converter. adamjk made this clear. To be fair, to access the options for the Converter is not the most intuitive thing in the world: find them after right-clicking on the original files and choosing “Convert” followed by your choice of format or “...”; in this case, you want the link entitled “Processing”.

Reply #5
You added the downmixer to the list of DSPs for playback. You need to add it, instead, to the list for the Converter. adamjk made this clear. To be fair, to access the options for the Converter is not the most intuitive thing in the world: find them after right-clicking on the original files and choosing “Convert” followed by your choice of format or “...”; in this case, you want the link entitled “Processing”.

Thanks for clearing that up, I've used Foobar for a while but never checked to deep under the hood until now, ..... I actually had been at the "...." converter setting before  , I guess too many programs and utilities running here at the same time is frying my brain..anyways , I just successfully converted the DTS CD down to 2CH-PCM, will convert to Mp3 later on, I'm pretty sure it will work.