Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Re-encode mp3 128 to higher w/ winlame (Read 28015 times) previous topic - next topic

Re-encode mp3 128 to higher w/ winlame

some time my full albums has some 128 kbps songs

I use winlame to re-encode them to 192 and the song sound betters

is this true? or my ears are bad
My Favorite Lame Preset

--alt-preset fast insane

Reply #1
Sorry opeth - you're imagining it.

When the mp3 was encoded at 128kbps, a lot of the information was thrown away. Now it's gone forever.

Re-encoding to 192kbps doesn't bring any information back - in fact, it throws a little more away!

This thread is about something similar - the discussion may help:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=ST&f=15&t=6938

Cheers,
David.

Reply #2
The latest winLAME version should even show a warning when trying to transcode/reencode! Didn't you read it? It states that doing so might severly degrade sound quality and is not a recommended process at all and the functionality should only be used by users who know what they are doing.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #3
No, don't transcode, because you are getting poorer audio quality at higher file sizes, in your case. Bad combination.

Reply #4
Transcoding from 128 to 192 is more better...  I have listeneding tests and they show it betterer

Reply #5
Transcoding from 128 to 192 is more better...  I have listeneding tests and they show it betterer

Reply #6
Hmm.. seems that somebody has forgotten this from FAQ. Added in 2 places.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #7

If it was supposed to be a joke, it wasn't funny. If not, please read forum rules.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.