Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack correction files (foobar playback and restoration) (Read 5666 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack correction files (foobar playback and restoration)

How to be sure that correction files are actually used for lossless playback and lossless restoration?
I was testing this feature and I cannot tell is it working in foobar2000 or not because there is no "confirmation"
that foobar is using wvc file for playback and lossless restoration (or I don't know where to look :D).
Is there a way to know for sure or is there a command line switch (or foobar feature) that could verifiy that wvc file is actually being used?

Re: WavPack correction files (foobar playback and restoration)

Reply #1
I was wondering the same sometime back.  I tested the furious sample at the lowest bitrate and it played without issues ,  I then renamed the .WVC and then the sample became problematic sounding. So from that I concluded that the WVC is used in latest foobar2000 versions.

Further to that, In the foobar properties section under 'encoding' you will get values 'lossless' for a lossless .wv and otherwise 'hybrid' for lossy.

On the commandline, you can try wvunpack -s * for info , or wvunpack -v * for decompress error testing- it will display 'lossless' if wvc is read OK.

Reply #2
Thanks a lot. ;-)

Reply #3
I just discovered that foobar "codec column" displays that hybrid + correction is being played so that will solve the wvc files. :)

Reply #6
Just reporting that my player already supported Hybrid+Correction as of my last post in that topic, but it only works with same-name, same-path. It's probably not really feasible to expect full system indexing to find the right correction files.

Reply #8
Just reporting that my player already supported Hybrid+Correction as of my last post in that topic, but it only works with same-name, same-path. It's probably not really feasible to expect full system indexing to find the right correction files.
Personally, I think that's fine. Maybe I'm just too disorganized, but I never bought into the idea of having the corrections files by themselves, especially without metadata or GUIDs tying them together.

Reply #9
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=113003.0

Can this 1KHz tone be considered as problem sample and hard to encode for wavpack lossy?

No. It was artificially created for this purpose with a hard-coded abuse of the noise-shaping feature (it cannot be created with the standard encoder). That's what creates the swooshing.