Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: lame setting - insane - presets (Read 5147 times) previous topic - next topic

lame setting - insane - presets

hi all !

I've read the thread that suggests the LAME settings for MAXIMUM quality when compressing. How do I set it using RazorLame though? I understand that Razorlame is just a front end and that I can go through the tabs manually and make changes. I also noticed that there are "presets" in the main folder. One of them is called "Archival" but I don't see one for the "Insane" setting that everyone is recommending. How do I just "type in" the presests that people recommend?

I also read a thread that said not to bother downloading LAME v3.93.1. If I'm already using it is there any reason I should switch back to the older version.

I am archiving mostly dance music and am doing tests today to see if I can hear the difference between mp3 encoded at 320 vs files encoded at 256. I am not going to use VBR, because of compatability issues with some mp3/dj software out there. As I understand I will not "lose" quality bringing these back to wavs later on. I know they will not be as perfect as the original wav but will at least be a perfect copy of the mp3 file.

If anyone is interested (or if it helps) this is the gear I am planning to use these files on.

http://finalscratch.com

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?traktor_us

thanks!
craig
http://www.getdrastik.com

Reply #1
I believe there's a field where you cab add cmd line options, if there is add:
--alt-preset insane

then check a box that says use only user options or something like that
sorry I couldn't help, I haven't been a MP3 user since last year.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #2
Yo musichaven,
I'm a novice in that kinda stuff and I'm trieing to wade through all this myself. I had the same question in mind and got to these links just a few minutes ago. Let's see what's up there. Hope to find the latest most sophisticated strings there. I've never ever typed a command string, so curious too se if I mess it all up. Besides that I have no idea what really stands behind the letters, I find it highly confusing that there seems to be some commands that start w. "%" and others just w. an "--".
Lemme know if you found the very latest source. Thanx and
Good luck

Dibrom's compiles
http://www.audio-illumination.org/forums/i...t=ST&f=15&t=478

Dimitri's compiles
http://mitiok.cjb.net/

SMPman's compiles
http://www.hot.ee/smpman/mp3/

Reply #3
Just download this: EasyLAME 1.3

It's an installation package consisting of RazorLAME and LAME 3.90.2, pre-configured with all the alt-presets. You can just load the insane preset (--alt-preset standard is the default).

Reply #4
I find it highly confusing that there seems to be some commands that start w. "%" and others just w. an "--".

Short switches start with "-", long ones with "--". Examples: "-mj", "--lowpass 19".

But all that doesn't matter if you use EasyLAME or concentrate on the alt-presets only. BTW, there's also a german version of EasyLAME: http://free.pages.at/volcano/lame/index_de.html

Reply #5
Guten Abend CiTay,
Volcano's Easy Lame is great for people like me. It was the first device that I ever used and I still have it. I used to grab files w. audiograbber and encode them w. E-Lame afterwards. That worked fine for 2 CDs. That's when I stumbled over EAC which keeps me busy learning it since then. I have a total experience of about 3 days.
This night I'm coming to a point where I need to know two important things.

1. I used the Easy Lame w. the preset "extreme". The Lame is still configured this pre set, which is fine for me. But now, since I quit the audio crapper in favour of EAC, I'd like to use the same " extreme" or possibly an other string w. the EAC.
As I want to extract AND encode at the same time, which setting is the top priority one?

Is it the one that I have chosen in the E-Lame interface,.."extreme", or is the string that I would possibly have to type into the EAC's additional command line options field?

If I had to type some weirdo command string, what would happen to the pre set in the E-Lame front end? Would I have to switch it off, or may I just leave it as is, but refer to it in the  EAC's commando line? To make it short,...where to type in? Lame or EAC front end?

2. Could anyone of the gods give me a pointer where I can find a pre set or commando string that, from this forum's consensus, represents the latest and the best command line for an archievist like me?

From a philosophical standpoint this last question is prob. not leading into a solution, but it's a try. What's the consensus here in the Olymp?
Thanx in advance

Reply #6
1. I used the Easy Lame w. the preset "extreme". The Lame is still configured this pre set, which is fine for me. But now, since I quit the audio crapper in favour of EAC, I'd like to use the same " extreme" or possibly an other string w. the EAC.

Compression options -> External Compression:
  • Use external program ...
    Parameter passing scheme: User defined Encoder
    Use file extension: .mp3
    Program, icluding path ...: drive:\where_is_lame\lame.exe
    Additional command line options: --alt-preset extreme %s %d
    As I want to extract AND encode at the same time, which setting is the top priority one?
    If you work on the computer at the same time and you have the feeling it gets too slow use "idle".
    Is it the one that I have chosen in the E-Lame interface,.."extreme", or is the string that I would possibly have to type into the EAC's additional command line options field?
    I guess you're talking about EasyLame and --alt-preset extreme. To get this quality just use the options as written above. (In EAC not in E-Lame).
    ... where I can find a pre set or commando string that, from this forum's consensus, represents the latest and the best command line for an archievist like me?
    Instead of --alt-preset extreme %s %d you can use --alt-preset standard %s %d. There's only a handful testsamples where extreme sounds noticeably better. The extra bits don't justify the small sound differences (if there are any with the music you encode). You could have a look at the recommended settings thread (sticky in mp3-General forum) to find something that fits your needs better.

Anyway, the way I understand "archivist" you might want to use another format (Lossless, e.g. FLAC or Monkey's Audio) or Musepack (consensus here in the Olymp: Qualitywise best lossy codec at 160kbps and more bitrates.) If you need to play back your encoded files on hardware players like mp3-CD car radio, mp3 will be the only choice ATM for you.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #7
Hi again,
tigre, looks like you're really helping me getting at it.
Well, I was smart enough to check the flags yesterday night. That wasn't so much of a problem, but the string architecture drove me nuts. I finally found the list with the pre sets in the sticky post, ooouch!! but what confused me last night and still keeps me wondering is that they're all listed w/o the " %s %d" at the end.

Last night I chose  
"--alt-preset cbr 320" in the Razor Lame check box.
In the EAC's additional command string options I wrote  "--alt-preset insane".
That was w/o the " %s %d" at the end. Hmm!

Oddly enough I set EAC's Parameter passing cheme to "Lame MP3 Encoder".

Here's how I'm thinking to set EAC today:
Parameter passing scheme: User defined Encoder
Program, icluding path ...: C:\WINNT\system32\lame.exe
Additional command line options: --alt-preset extreme %s %d

The Razor Lame check box still shows "--alt-preset cbr 320"

Now were's one more question. If my memory serves me right "--alt-preset extreme %s %d" would be a VBR while "--alt-preset cbr 320" is of the CBR variety. That would be a contradiction. Which device would control things in this case? What would be the proper command line for "--alt-preset cbr 320" that I would possibly have to write into the EAC command line box? Do I have to set the Razor Lame according to what I'm doing in the EAC options, or isn't that necessary?

Reply #8
RazorLame and EAC (and their settings/switches) are independent. If you want CBR 320kbps with EAC use --alt-preset insane %s %d (or --alt-preset CBR 320 %s %d , it's the same.)

-edit: typo
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #9
Thanx a bunch for your quick respond tigre. It sheds some light on my question.

Reply #10
To clarify some remaining issues:

- If you use EAC to make MP3s "on-the-fly", you don't need RazorLAME. EAC will create the MP3s for you, why would you want to use Razorlame afterwards?

- The "%s %d" means "Source file" and "Destination file". This is explained in an EAC readme file. It has nothing to do with LAME switches, it's only needed for EAC. LAME switches always start with "-" or with "--", never with "%". Razorlame doesn't need %s %d.

Reply #11
CiTay,
I do know that EAC does the job on the fly. But what makes me wonder is prob. a more technical question.
If I had set (configure) Lame over Razor Lame to a specific pre set feature, let's say "--alt-preset cbr 320" then Lame is configured and done,...at least from my understanding.

What happens if the EAC settings are completely different. For example Goofy writes a totally contradictionairy command string into the EAC comand options box?

Will the EAC use this information to take over the Lame w. it's latest pre set or will there be a conflict? What is actually happening in this case? Do the formerly set "pre set" have no influence to what EAC is now trying to do, or will the encoding quality depend on what the Lame pre set is? I'm still talking abou an on the fly process.

Actually not a question that would reflect a problem I'm having since tigre helped me out regarding the command string. But it's an interesting thing to know I think.

Reply #12
Will the EAC use this information to take over the Lame w. it's latest pre set or will there be a conflict?

Well, EAC and RazorLAME call lame.exe independently, and all they do is pass the parameters. Nothing is set permanently, they are only frontends.

Reply #13
Perfect, Thanx

Reply #14
Aaahm, not trieing to get on your nerves, but here's the thing that I'd like to get deeper into.
I've created three profiles in EAC (That checkbox on the right bottom). First is alt pre set standart , second is alt pre set extreme and the third alt pre set standart. Needless to mention that the user defined command line was changed accordingly.
I grabbed and encoded a couple of tunes w. the pre set standart last night, went to bed and checked things this morning. The MP3s sound super, but the log file was saying that besides of the user defined encoder 320 kbit/s it did use additional command line options: --alt-preset standard %s %d.
That brings up my initial question again. Why the hell does it list the Lame settings, when EAC is supposed to pass the Razor Lame front end via its own front end. Didn't you say that the Lame front end settings where not important anymore any more once EAC gets an own command line and therefore would take controll over the Lame despite what it was fed before? Did I get it wrong? What Kbit/s quality did EAC encode. standart or 320 ?? Check ouit what the log file was saying for each track.

Used drive  : LITE-ON LTR-52246S  Adapter: 1  ID: 0
Read mode  : Secure with C2, accurate stream, disable cache
Read offset correction : 6
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No

Used output format : C:\WINNT\system32\lame.exe  (User Defined Encoder)

Other options      :
    Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
    Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
    Installed external ASPI interface

Reply #15
morning. The MP3s sound super, but the log file was saying that besides of the user defined encoder 320 kbit/s it did use additional command line options: --alt-preset standard %s %d.

When "User defined encoder" is selected in EAC compression options,
then only the custom command line (--alt-preset ....) is passed to lame.exe

The bit-rate you see in the log file is the bit-rate that was set in the listbox on that compression options window, but it is not actually used. Ignore it.

Check this thread as well.

Reply #16
Aaha! That's actually the case. Didn't think of that,..but the main reason for my concern was that I had encoded ripps w. the razor lame previously. Means, first grabbing wav files then droppin' em into the blade window. That was before I started to use EAC and it was at "--alt-preset cbr 320". So the setting is still there in the razor front end, and that's what made me think. If I got it all right, the thread melts down to the point where it says.
When using the user defined optional command string, EAC will disable or simply ignore all other previous settings in the Razor front, whatever settings they still might show from previous non - EAC sessions. Plus, EAC ignores whatever is chosen in the listbox on that compression options window.
Hope to get done w. this now.
Thanx to everybody