Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can foobar can remain partially off screen when switching from Clone > Extended? (Read 897 times) previous topic - next topic

Can foobar can remain partially off screen when switching from Clone > Extended?

Hi all

I don't know if this is possible, and if it isn't I don't know how easy it would be to make possible  :D  Or where I should request it...?

So I run two monitors and have over the years set things up just how I like them.  Here's a screenshot:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?action=dlattach;sa=tmpattach;attach=post_tmp_113613_8e103cbc4561f73eba50d147f18efee8;topic=0

I surf the net etc on the right screen.  Between Chrome and the Windows taskbar is the title bar of foobar showing me all of the info I want to know about the currently playing track (the rest of foobar is below it off screen).  When I want to access my collection or do anything in foobar, I can double click the title bar to give me a full screen of foobar.  Double clicking again returns it to base.  Lovely!  On the left screen I have the album artwork displayed.  I use Popup Panels for that. 

The trouble is that I've been using clone screens recently and when I switch to/from clone and extended desktop, two things happen: 

-  Foobar doesn't stay in the same place.  The part that was previously hidden off screen is now in sight, taking up just under half of the screen. 
-  The artwork doesn't stay on the Left screen (which is secondary in my set up) but  instead comes over to the right screen. 

And that totally messes things up!

Is there anything I can do to stop that behaviour?  Or any other workarounds that people can think off?  I love my set up but that really ruins it. 

Hope it all makes sense!!! 

Cheers

Re: Can foobar can remain partially off screen when switching from Clone > Extended?

Reply #1
Sounds like typical Windows screen add/remove behavior. Various windows get screwed up every time a resolution or desktop count changes, it's pretty much standard fare for Windows. It basically has to be worked around on a per-application basis, ie. Every program needs to note down the unique displays they're running on, then restore settings when the configuration looks like that again.

Re: Can foobar can remain partially off screen when switching from Clone > Extended?

Reply #2
Hi kode54

Thanks for the reply.  OK, so it is a Windows thing...  But I don't fully follow what you say in the second half of your reply.  Are you saying that an application can get passed the Windows behaviour by "saving" where the windows are on the screen as a configuration (or possibly two separate configurations; one for cloned and one for extended)?  Or have I totally misunderstood?  If I am right, is something like this available in foobar, or perhaps via an additional component?   

If none of that's a goer, can anyone think of another way around it?  I've been look at some freeware apps that manage dual/multi screens.  Things like Dual Monitor Tools and MurGeeMon.  Can't quite get to grips with them yet, and I think they do A LOT of stuff which I wouldn't need.  But what might help is if you can have window layout configurations with a hotkey shortcut assigned.  At least then when I switch between cloned and extended I can just hit the relevant hotkey to have all my windows magically jump back to where I want them.  Not sure if that's possible though... 

If anyone knows anything about any of this - please chime in! 

Cheers!

Reply #3
What I meant was, a single application could fix the issue for just itself, by keeping regular track of where its windows are, and tracking through system messages when the desktop layout changes, and resetting window positions after the desktop settles back into a familiar configuration that matches its previous layout.

Otherwise, when the virtual desktop (all screens) changes size, windows just maintain their relative position on the new configuration, even sometimes crossing onto other screens. And frequently, they'll be forced to be back onscreen instead of partially offscreen.

Reply #4
What I meant was, a single application could fix the issue for just itself, by keeping regular track of where its windows are, and tracking through system messages when the desktop layout changes, and resetting window positions after the desktop settles back into a familiar configuration that matches its previous layout.

Excellent!  Well, that's kind of what I thought you meant; I just wasn't able to explain it so well :)  The rest of the application I have are not a problem, so if foobar stops re-configuring, everything will fall into place nicely.

So that leaves the question...  Presuming that foobar doesn't do this now, how difficult a thing would it be to write into the application?  Is it something developers might take an interest in doing?  And if so, how best should I make the request?

Many thanks