Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: conditional grouping and Artwork display (Read 660 times) previous topic - next topic

conditional grouping and Artwork display

I'm facing a bit of a problem. I've recently started to expand my library with discography collections and invariably that means I often end up with a number of (semi-)duplicates of a track. Now, sometimes this is because they're actually different (live-)performances from that artist, but sometimes it is because the disc is just a collection of earlier published numbers spread over different albums.

Ideally I want to reduce the number of actual duplicates as much as possible so I'm using foo_uie_library_tree to show where in my collection exists the same song/artist combo and then sending those to a new playlist to see if they happen to share the same compilation so I can remove that compilation (or remove individual tracks and create hard links to the original to keep the compilation from showing missing numbers in a playlist).

Here's where things start forming my problem.  My playlist views (all ColumnsUI based) basically have Artwork showing and grouping enabled based on album/disc. However, when I send those found 'duplicates' from the above described workflow to a new playlist, that often means I have several separate tracks of multiple albums in the one playlist view, each showing the artwork and grouped based on their originating album... given the screenheight that means I sometimes only get 4 or 5 tracks to be able to show without the need to scroll down.

So what I would like is to be able to conditionally show artwork/grouping so that I could disable both on the newly created playlist containing said 'duplicates'... but I've not found a way to do that. Grouping is either on or off for all playlist views, same for showing Artwork.

So, in short, does anyone know of an album list like component with a corresponding playlist view that allows to turn off artwork and grouping just for that playlist view regardless of what ColumnsUI has enabled for the playlist views it controls?

Re: conditional grouping and Artwork display

Reply #1
Sigh.... :-[ I hate this. This happens ALL the time... get faced with a problem, can't find a solution... post a question... moments later you stumble over the solution by pure chance/accident/fate

Please delete/close/totally nuke this question.

Reply #2
You should post the solution for others to see in cases like these.

I'm assuming you found the fact that Columns UI groupings have some conditional toggles. Namely 'File/Preferences/Display/Columns UI/Playlist view/Grouping/<double click on a grouping>/Playlist dropdown menu', with options such as: Hide on specific playlists, always show, show only on specific playlists.

Meaning CUI groupings can automatically turn on or off based on the name of each playlist. Wildcards (*) can also be used when defining these rules.

Reply #3
They said they discovered the "playlist filters" after double clicking the grouping filter. I'm not sure if this is really self explanatory, since others have probably had the same problem.

Reply #4
You should post the solution for others to see in cases like these.

I'm assuming you found the fact that Columns UI groupings have some conditional toggles. Namely 'File/Preferences/Display/Columns UI/Playlist view/Grouping/<double click on a grouping>/Playlist dropdown menu', with options such as: Hide on specific playlists, always show, show only on specific playlists.

Meaning CUI groupings can automatically turn on or off based on the name of each playlist. Wildcards (*) can also be used when defining these rules.
Exactly this, and I also found the answer in an already existing post. that's why I asked to kill the thread, but for the life of me, I can't even find the thread back again in which I found the answer.

I can't even begin counting how often I've opened that preference page to turn off/on grouping prior to the toggle now existing in "View/Playlist view/Show Groups". That certainly is one well hidden gem of a feature even though it's very similar and analog to the option of showing/hiding Playlist view columns on specific playlists.