Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Analog hole" Legislation Introduced (Read 3458 times) previous topic - next topic

"Analog hole" Legislation Introduced

"Calling the ability to convert analog video content to a digital format a "significant technical weakness in content protection," H.R. 4569 would require all consumer electronics video devices manufactured more than 12 months after the DTCSA is passed to be able to detect and obey a "rights signaling system" that would be used to limit how content is viewed and used."

Read all about it here.

Reply #1
This really bugs me... The way the music and movie industry is heading.

They want to take away all your rights, to stop pirates that would get past it anyway.
And if you believe theres not a chance to die...

Reply #2
This is the stupidest thing I have heard since yesterday, which makes it the second stupidest thing I have heard in my life.  The only way to close the analog hole is to stop making devices that have output.  How is this supposed to work?  If you bring a microphone into the room does your stereo self-destruct?

Reply #3
Not quite. Analog outputs would be watermarked.

Reply #4
Hey, welcome to SCMS!  Oh wait, that was for digital copy management, wasn't it?

Reply #5
Hey, welcome to SCMS!  Oh wait, that was for digital copy management, wasn't it?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351358"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

SCMS was a fair compromise between useability and protection IMO ... its intention was to allow a single digital consumer copy from CD to e.g. DAT but no 2nd- or 3rd-generation copies by watermarking the digital output from the 1st-generation-copy ... back in the days of DAT, I could very well live with that. Additionally, rather expensive studio equipment could be switched to ignore the watermark (like today's semi-pro or pro soundcards do).

When CD protections arose in 2001, they did use the SCMS watermark on CD's to prevent even first-generation-copies ... that was a sure PITA.
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper