Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [SPAM] FOO Player's sound quality is disgusting, relatively to Windows M... (Read 6670 times) previous topic - next topic

[SPAM] FOO Player's sound quality is disgusting, relatively to Windows M...

Yeah, I am using your player and keep updated every component of it (including the audio compression codecs)
and i must admit after 3 years of using it - yesterday, I've got to my friends place and he powered on some Rammstein song in his Windows Media Player (clear one, the built in Windows 7 Professional) and friends.. that make me laught and wish to move back to the OLD GOOD WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER (talking about the usual 320 kbps mp3s)

The sound quality has nothing to compare with Foo's audio output
Check & see yourselfs

The question is, WHY ? No any way for Foo player creatore just to use the SAME exactly codec, which has WMP inside?

Alisa
[link removed]

Re: FOO Player's sound quality is disgusting, relatively to Windows Media Player

Reply #1
Just to be clear, are you really comparing your friend's playback system using WMP with your playback system using FB2k or did you compare WMP & FB2k on your system ?

However, for such comparisons it is mandatory that both systems and players are setup equally and at the very least you should provide some more details about both setups and how they were configured.

Otherwise, you might want to re-read TOS #8 and re-post accordingly.

Cheers,
Maggi

Re: FOO Player's sound quality is disgusting, relatively to Windows Media Player

Reply #2
foobar2000 does not use the same decoder as WMP but they do produce the same correct output.

If you really hear a difference I suspect it's sound volume related. WMP for example doesn't support ReplayGain which is enabled by default in foobar2000. If your files contain this information they most likely play much quieter.

Another volume related difference could be clipping. WMP hard clips the files it plays which can cause distrortion but ensures loud volume. The default DirectSound output in foobar2000 gives unclipped signal to Windows mixer and Windows lowers the amplitude to prevent clipping. If you have loud files and keep player volumes at maximum this can cause a noticeable difference. But all of these differences can be eliminated by changing settings.

Reply #3
I just want to say, before this troll spam gets shit-canned, that the above linked dog-themed website, while probably giving me internet herpes, is the greatest illustration of schizophrenia I've seen since at least 1997.
Creature of habit.

Reply #4
After initially removing this thread, i was convinced to leave it here so there can be a discussion about this ridiculous claim.

That is to say, please don't report this thread anymore, we are aware of it.

Reply #5
Sorry for not noticing it before, but the OP registered just today and this is his only posting so far.
Hence, I reckon it's pure trolling ...

Reply #6
Oh it's absolute hogwash to claim that foobar's sound quality is bad, no doubt, but an audio pipeline doesn't just consist of a player. It's entirely possible that a person, acting in good faith, is unaware of an active component, a system EQ, a broken cable, etc., and truly hears a difference.