Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CUETools needs its own forum (Read 9597 times) previous topic - next topic

CUETools needs its own forum

May I make a suggestion that this thread would be a whole lot more useful if CUETools had its own forum here?

Reply #1
Hear, hear.

It's really getting beyond the pale. 2100+ posts in the CUETools thread, another couple hundred in the CTDB thread... and usually no more than a few posts per topic. Searching for previously asked questions is a nightmare.

What do we need to do to get a section for CUETools, the way we have for foobar2000?

Reply #2
As I've said in the cuetools thread, I'm definitely a fan of this idea- especially since Gregory uses that thread rather than a bug database. Having separate discussions for separate issues would make things much clearer.

On a side note, as discussed in this topic, posts in "Site Related Discussion" and several other subfora are, by virtue of not showing up on "Latest Posts" etc, effectively invisible to many HA users most of the time, which is why I'm just now noticing and agreeing with this post from April.

Reply #3
I assume this is not an implication that Hydrogenaudio owes Greg a forum, which his obvious talents mean he is perfectly capable of setting up on his own server if he wanted to, as he did with his wiki and as he could do with a bugtracker.

The alternative is that the question is aimed at tidying things up for Hydrogenaudio’s sake. So, if the sheer number of posts about this program, whether in that main thread or its various satellites, indicate that it should have its own subforum, shouldn’t EAC, dBpowerAMP, and XLD get sections too? Where should it end? I’m not against the idea as such, but it would seem to be rocking the boat and setting a lot of other questions in motion in its turn. As for the invocation of foobar2000, I’m not sure that’s relevant: it seems to have been a one-off special case in terms of getting its own subforum, and one that* I suspect might not ever be repeated.

*as a layman, not a representative of Hydrogenaudio

Reply #4

What other things could be done doesn't help us now. The others you mention, have their own forums. It is near impossible to find answers in a single post with thousands of entries. Setting up a subfourm would be a service to your members. That is the goal of hydrogenaudio, to help their members.

Unless your goal is to keep members online as long as possible to boost your ratings.
Glass half full!

Reply #5
There's a full-on wiki for CUETools: http://www.cuetools.net/wiki/Main_Page

If you want organized, community-driven information, a wiki's way better than a forum.

Compare with the old Columns UI thread. Some threads here just end up getting looooong. That said, they're nothing in comparison to, say, XDA-Developer ROM threads...

Reply #6
Unless your goal is to keep members online as long as possible to boost your ratings.
Please keep your unenlightened assumptions about my and our motivations to yourself.

Reply #7
Well how about someone just lock these epic "every question ever asked and the ensuing discussion" threads so that people will post their questions in new threads, like they're supposed to?

Reply #9
I certainly wasn't saying HA "owes" anybody any such thing. All I'm saying is that there's evidently a problem and this is one way to solve it.

When I brought up the subforum idea before (1, 2) I was thinking it could go in Hosted Forums alongside foobar2000, which is the only other app I'm aware of that tries to use HA as its "official" support forum. I don't know about the circumstances that led to foobar2000 receiving a hosted forum, so I was encouraging Gregory to get in touch with admins to discuss it. Since he didn't respond to the idea at all, and since db1989 has said that situation is unlikely to be repeated anyhow, it might make more sense instead to create a subforum of CD Hardware/Software.

As far as "who gets a subforum? Or a subsubforum? Where does it stop?" Well, it might not hurt to split off EAC or a couple other programs which get a lot of forum traffic there as well, but I really don't know. It's worth remarking that pinning two CueTools threads has already given it an exceptional status among CD/DVD programs.

Having the thread pinned may be part of the problem here, actually- maybe things would have worked better if what was pinned was a locked thread with just one post which is regularly edited to tell what the latest release is and where to find it, just like the first post in the megathread. Then different issues might naturally have ended up in different threads. Along the lines of what mjb2006 said, locking and unpinning the megathread and instead pinning such a locked latest release thread would certainly encourage people to post new threads.

Then again, without a separate subforum, separate threads for issues disappear fairly quickly among all the CD hardware/software posts and don't get the benefit of "search this forum only" which makes them easier to find. The normal solution for having discoverability and continuity of bug discussions is a bugtracker. I can kinda understand why Gregory would be adverse enough to SF's awful bugtracker that he'd rather stick with the status quo ("See, I can find all the bug reports! They're all right here in this 2500 post thread!") but yes, you'd think he could set up Roundup or some other simpler-than-bugzilla system on his server. But he hasn't seemed interested in that, and his total Cuetools-related time seems to have been quite limited as of late. In the absence of comments, proposals, or actions from him it would seem solutions would have to come from some other quarter.

Side note: bilbo, that kind of humor is hard to discern on the Internet, because no matter how absurd a statement is and no matter how much we'd like to hope it's meant in jest or irony, there are people on the Internet saying even more absurd things and meaning them to be taken at face value. Without facial or vocal cues and without knowing each other personally, it's hard to tell how it's meant, even for people with a healthy sense of humor. Try adding (j/k) or some other indicator if you really want to kid around.