Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CDEX LAME 3.98 string Confused (Read 4185 times) previous topic - next topic

CDEX LAME 3.98 string Confused

I want to rip a number of cd,s with cdex 1.51, I have the latest lame installed 3.98. In the past I used lame in cdex as an external encoder rather than using the internal option as I found it gave a more accurate result by using a predefined string. However I cant remember how to set up the string and having trawled the net am am still non the wiser. I am intending to rip the cd,s to vbr something to the old preset standard or preset medium. I have read somewhere that lame 3.98 can do floating points now, what on earth is that, thats confused me even further. 

Thank You

Reply #1
The following seems to work, creating LAME 3.98 VBR -V2 MP3s by way of the --preset fast standard

Replace the External Encoder path to point to where your lame.exe is actually located.

Also, whatever value you put in for the bitrate doesn't matter since that value isn't getting passed as part of the parameter string (it is value %3 which isn't used in my example).

Reply #2
Thanks Wonderslug, can you supply a list of any other strings that I could use aswell. I could then copy and paste to note document for future reference.

Many Thanks for your help.

Moderation:  No need to quote previous post in its entirety.  We can already see it without any trouble.

Reply #3
Well, so far, CDex uses the following strings to pass onto the external encoder:

%1 is the source filename

%2 is the destination filename

%3 is the bitrate desired

You really don't need to use %3 unless you want to encode using CBR or ABR and wish to specify the bitrate within CDex as in the External Encoder settings tab I showed above.  For VBR, leave it out.

For LAME 3.98, the following HA Wiki gives you a list of all the command line parameters it accepts:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME