Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME won't encode these files (Read 4045 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME won't encode these files

Just ripped a stack of discs with EAC, only to find that RazorLame/LAME will not recognize any of these WAV files for encoding. They cannot be dragged into the RazorLame window. They cannot be Opened, either. I renamed the containing folder to "fff" to no avail (RazorLame has problems with longer path and file names). I copied individual file names into Notepad, and copied them back, to remove any possible hidden characters—to no avail. I cannot rename these files to something else and encode.

What is going on here—every file from a given disc? I've been usiing RazorLame for over two decades, and have never seen this happen before.

One file from another disc was doing the same, but I could encode it after renaming the file. I then renamed it back to the original title.

But not these. RazorLame will not recognize any of these:

01 - Isaac Hayes - Two Cool Guys - Beavis and Butt‐Head Do America
02 - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Love Rollercoaster - Beavis and Butt‐Head Do America
03 - LL Cool J - Ain’t Nobody - Beavis and Butt‐Head Do America
04 - White Zombie - Ratfinks, Suicide Tanks and Cannibal Girls - Beavis and Butt‐Head Do America
05 - Rancid with Stubborn All-Stars - I Wanna Riot - Beavis and Butt‐Head Do America
06 - Ozzy Osbourne - Walk on Water - Beavis and Butt‐Head Do America
07 - No Doubt - Snakes - Beavis and Butt‐Head Do America08 - Madd Head - Pimp’n Ain’t EZ - Beavis and Butt‐Head Do America
09 - Butthole Surfers - The Lord Is a Monkey (Rock Version) - Beavis and Butt‐Head Do America
10 - Southern Culture on the Skids - White Trash - Beavis and Butt‐Head Do America
11 - AC^DC - Gone Shootin’ - Beavis and Butt‐Head Do America
12 - Engelbert Humperdinck - Lesbian Seagull - Beavis and Butt‐Head Do America

EDIT: This may be a case of some asshole entering Unicode-formatted text into MusicBrainz for this title. I had copied my file names into Notepad; was about to rename everything with Bulk Raname Utility, then paste original file names from the Notepad document. When I tried to save the list of song titles, I was hit with a warning about inclusion of Unicode characters being lost upon conversion to ANSI. I just started using MusicBrainz yesterday, which would explain why this has never happened to me before.

EDIT 2:
There was no way to strip Unicode formatting from the path and file names for those WAVs. I had to delete them all, Clear Current CD Information in EAC, manually re-edit every field in EAC, and re-rip. Only then would RazorLame encode the files.

If this is what MusicBrainz has to offer, I'm in trouble.

Re: LAME won't encode these files

Reply #1
Probably the "-" sign. Or path + file name too long. RazorLame is to blame for being lame :D

Reply #2
MBz always uses a weird apostrophe:

Pimp’n
00000000  50 69 6d 70 e2 80 99 6e 20    Pimpâ..n

At least that's what I got from copying your text and pasting it into notepad, then looking at the binary.  I fix it at EAC's track listing.
BANNED

Reply #3
Just to be clear, RazorLame could recognize none of those files, even the short ones. It does not choke on a hyphen—I use hyphens in every file name, all the time. And it wasn't just "Pimp’n Ain’t EZ." Also, I renamed every track to a two-digit number, and they still could not be processed.

Every single field in EAC contained Unicode, as pulled from the MusicBrainz database. I had to clear CD information and re-enter everything from scratch before it worked (obviously, with the same length in path\file names!). Any MusicBrainz metadata in containing Unicode will do the same thing I encountered today.

Reply #4
Still, time to switch to something Unicode aware...

Reply #5
RazorLame hasn't been updated in 6+ years, it's probably safe to say you should find something else.

Reply #6
RazorLame hasn't been updated in 6+ years, it's probably safe to say you should find something else.

I've been using it as long as I have, because its encoding never introduces the chirps and noises other application have. What do you suggest I use?

Reply #7
rename all manually

Reply #8
Use a newer version of LAME itself, with something capable of using recent versions of LAME.

RazorLAME is just a frontend. One that is apparently incapable of dealing with Unicode filenames.

Reply #9
... the newest version of them all should be attached.
BANNED

Reply #10
I remember having change the version of LAME used by RazorLame once before, but that was many years ago, and details escape me.

If I install newer versions of LAME, would I not still have the same issue with Unicode with RazorLame?

Assuming something else can do the same without introducing chirps and other errors, what exactly might I use?

Thank you.

Reply #11
What chirps and noises??
You rip with EAC why not setting it up to encode with LAME at once?

Reply #12
I wanted to recommend Lamedropxpd from rarewares.org, which is lame and real simple gui in one.
But i just tested an mp3 with an exotic filename and Lamedropxpd crashed :p.

So instead i will recommend it foobar2000. It is a player and it has a nice converter built-in.

Reply #13
I recently found this post after having a problem with some filenames and mp3 encoding with lame. I am using lame via a batchfile, but the solution I found was to add the line 'CHCP 65001' to the batchfile which changes the character set to read non-ASCII characters.
I was then able to encode the mp3 file without a problem.