Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Feature Request] Options for artwork Image (Read 590 times) previous topic - next topic

[Feature Request] Options for artwork Image

HI.

I have been working on new skins for the new version of the application these days.
In that process, I thought it would be nice to have more options for the display of artwork images.
Therefore, I would like to request the following two feature.

• Blur effect on artwork image
  • Ability to specify the type of artwork image to be displayed

The blur effect is a feature that I have desired many times throughout my skinning
because it is a commonly seen effect in the backgrounds of other player applications.
However, skinning in foobar2000 for mobile does not support it.
From my experience, the technique of overlaying PNG images can emulate image cropping, changing brightness , and gradation but cannot emulate the blur effect.
The blur effect also enables

Currently, we can display embedded artwork images in a track by using the [albumart] element.
However, the front cover is displayed by default, and to display other types of artwork such as Artist and Disc, users need to long-press and reselect the [albumart] element for each playback.
Ideally, if artwork type is specified, that type should be displayed first; if not specified or not embedded, the default front cover should be displayed.
If the blur effect can be applied, it will also help implementing dynamic/adaptive color changes in accordance with the album art.

These two unimplemented features will help to make the playback screen more spectacular and will also help in creating skins optimized for large-screen devices such as Android TVs and tablets.

Re: [Feature Request] Options for artwork Image

Reply #1
3. Rotation (any degrees, not just 90°, with an option to either chop off parts outside the box or fit the image corners into the box)
4. Grayscale

And the ability to put in static images, independent of of the played track.

Reply #2
3. Rotation
4. Grayscale

And the ability to put in static images, independent of of the played track.

The feature 4. and static image are already available, but the official new skin format page has not yet mentioned.
See this page.
It is unofficial and old documentation, but provides us  with very useful information on skinning.

The features you requested will be achieved by using [image] element.
If you put a black square image with some degree of transparency on an album artwork, the album artwork will be darkened.
Moreover, if you overlay a black “frame” image over an album artwork with a black background, the album artwork will be displayed with cropped or rounded corners depending what you overlayed.

That is a tip I used when creating my skin, NewMoon and Nightowl.

Reply #3
Only darkening or actually achieving a blackandwhite version of the artwork?
I ll play around with it, and see what can be done.

With rotation and grayscale you could make some awesome themes i think. (bonus points if you could also recolor the grayscaled image to some other monochrome contour)
X

edit: maybe i should also have blured it a bit to integrate your original request in the mockup...

Reply #4
Only darkening or actually achieving a blackandwhite version of the artwork?
I ll play around with it, and see what can be done.

With rotation and grayscale you could make some awesome themes i think. (bonus points if you could also recolor the grayscaled image to some other monochrome contour)
[attach type=image]29529[/attach]

edit: maybe i should also have blured it a bit to integrate your original request in the mockup...

Umm, I see. Sorry.
I think complete grayscaling may be difficult now because overlaying PNG image over an image (artwork) does not mean canceling its original color.

Reply #5

Currently, we can display embedded artwork images in a track by using the [albumart] element.
However, the front cover is displayed by default, and to display other types of artwork such as Artist and Disc, users need to long-press and reselect the [albumart] element for each playback.
Ideally, if artwork type is specified, that type should be displayed first; if not specified or not embedded, the default front cover should be displayed.
If the blur effect can be applied, it will also help implementing dynamic/adaptive color changes in accordance with the album art.

These two unimplemented features will help to make the playback screen more spectacular and will also help in creating skins optimized for large-screen devices such as Android TVs and tablets.

I tried displaying Artist.jpg in background and Cover.jpg in front of it with the current [albumart] element, just like Roon Remote is doing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

However, the result was not what I had in mind.

First, it is possible to include multiple [albumart] elements in a skin, but it is not possible to specify the type of images to display independently; they all appear to work together.
In other words, it is not possible to display a front cover art on one and an artist image on the other simultaneously.

Second, if two [albumart] elements are included, only one of them seems to respond to a long press.
This bahavior was unexpected to me.

Reply #6
just like Roon Remote is doing.

That sort of thing is probably possible with the various http controllers available for fb2k desktop. Editing the html that is served isn't really going to have any limitations. I know less than nothing about android apps but I'm sure it's an entirely different and more complex beast.

Reply #7
just like Roon Remote is doing.

That sort of thing is probably possible with the various http controllers available for fb2k desktop. Editing the html that is served isn't really going to have any limitations. I know less than nothing about android apps but I'm sure it's an entirely different and more complex beast.

In the case of automatically retrieving and displaying appropriate artist images from the web in accordance with the playback, it may indeed require complex processing that can only be achieved with the desktop version, as you suggested.
But what I am assuming here is a way to display a local Artist.jpg or an artist image embedded in a track.

It is relatively easy to collect artist images from LastFM Artist using the "Albumart Art Downloader" component of the desktop version of foobar2000, and you can embed the images into tracks using the context menu "Tagging > Attach pictures > Artist", right?
All that I need now is the ability to display these locally accessible specific images in the mobile version of foobar2000.
Desirably, the ability to apply standard visual effects such as blurring and brightness adjustment to the [albumart] and [image] elements would be helpful.
The following is an example intended for iPad mini 6.

Code: [Select]
//Background
[rectangle]

*if playing
//Artist Image as Background
[albumart]
artist,blur75
//blurXX means that the degree of the blur effect is 75% (0 < XX < 100). If there is no artist image availbale locally, display nothing.

//Album Artwork
[albumart]
front

*end

I am not at all familiar with Android app development, but I wonder if it is that difficult to implement these features...
Of course, even if it wasn't difficult, I myself might be asking too much for a free application.
Anyway, I am grateful to the developers of the foobar2000 suite of applications.