Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Slow replaygain scanning (Read 2523 times) previous topic - next topic

Slow replaygain scanning

Hi,

I'm replaygain scanning 4 albums (monkeys audio files) at once, I mean 4 rg threads at once, on a P4 3.00 GHz machine with hyperthreading turned on in BIOS. FB2k uses the whole processor time: Good. But if I sum the replaygain speed reported in the 4 windows up, I get around 45x. I think this is rather slow, I was expecting >100, because my pentium 3/800 can rg scan at around 30x.
Why is this?

TIA

Slow replaygain scanning

Reply #1
I had a problem like this a few days ago. I use a Athlon XP instead of your Intel processor. I installed HardDiskSentinel and controlled my harddisk. The result was that my hdd was damaged.

Don't know if fits with your problem but try to check you hdd.

Slow replaygain scanning

Reply #2
It could be that the decoding speed of Monkey's Audio files are low (when you say your Pentium 3 can scan at 40X, are you talking about similarly compressed Monkey's Audio files?)

I'd try using the benchmark tool to see the rate at which the file is being decoded, or try RGing MP3/Vorbis/AAC files to see if the slowness persists.

Slow replaygain scanning

Reply #3
It could be that the decoding speed of Monkey's Audio files are low (when you say your Pentium 3 can scan at 40X, are you talking about similarly compressed Monkey's Audio files?)

I'd try using the benchmark tool to see the rate at which the file is being decoded, or try RGing MP3/Vorbis/AAC files to see if the slowness persists.

Thanks, I think this is the point. Usually I have no ape files. Right now I'm replaygaining p5m encoded tak files at >80x.