Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Calculate album gain from track gain? (Read 1395 times) previous topic - next topic

Calculate album gain from track gain?

I'm thinking about re-encoding my music again, and have a random question about wavegain:  If I perform track-analysis on all my audio, and then later decide I want the album gain/scale value, can this be calculated solely from the track gain/scale value?  Or does the audio need to be reprocessed?

As for why, just humour me for now, ok

Reply #1
The audio needs to be reprocessed.

For me this is a pretty interesting topic. RG chooses total loudness from the 95th percentile. While this seems to work well for individual tracks across many genres, I'm not so sure it translates as well with full albums.  That said, I have no better solutions to offer.

Reply #2
Interesting.

Another thing that confused me slightly: I have an audio CD as a single wav file, and also split into tracks (as wav files).  I get different results doing a wavegain on the single track, to an album-wavegain on the individual tracks.  Is this expected?