Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: De-emphasis components (Read 98392 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: De-emphasis components

Reply #100
Is there a way to have stauts indication about PREemphasis being applied? (as in HDCD)
Thanks!

Mudlord's (2018-02-09) component shows strange behavior? Or is it just me?

Reply #101
Hi everybody, I am new here. I had a strange problem with Mudlord's De-emphasis postprocessor I recently downloaded from https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_deemph - or let's say it worked differently from what I expected: As soon as it was installed, every audio file I played that had the pre-emphasis tag was played with de-emphasis applied, even when the plugin was not listed in "Actice DSPs". I wanted more control, so I removed the component, and I was happy to find out that the foo_dsp_deemph.zip (version 0.0.3) available at the beginning of this thread works exactly the way I like: Does not do anything as long as it is not added to Actice DSPs, and starts de-emphasising files during playback as soon as I add it to Active DSPs.

Anyway, given that the components posted here are from 2013, I am wondering if there are any updates? Or aren't there any updates because the tools work just right? (That would make sense.)

Also, did anyone else encounter the problem I had with (the current version of) Mudlord's component?

Reply #102
 use
 http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_effect instead put your cd in. File, Open Audio Cd, it should find your drive, hit Rip, A dialog box comes up, you can use any of the databases for the track listing, now hit the button "Proceed to the converter set up dialog"
Now another box comes up, in the left box it has your saved presets, if any just delete them all, we'll start from scratch, on the right hand side you can choose output format, pick whatever suits you, now click on 'processing' another box appears, check the box in the upper left, now in the right hand box you will see a box filled with different filters and such, scroll till you find IIR Filter, highlight it and click the arrow so it goes into the Active DSP box, now highlight that and click on 'configure selected' there will be a dropbox, select 'CD-De-emphasis" click ok, now you can go 'Back' now you "Save' that preset, and it should show in the left hand box "Saved Presets", I just named mine 'pre' , now hit the 'convert' button, a file destination folder will pop up, so just direct it where you want the files (songs) to go. a 'converter' box will pop up adding the new EQ while it's ripping the disc :)
Now whenever you have another disc with pre, after you hit 'Rip' you now have a choice of using the preset

Reply #103
use
 http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_effect instead put your cd in. File, Open Audio Cd, it should find your drive, hit Rip, A dialog box comes up, you can use any of the databases for the track listing, now hit the button "Proceed to the converter set up dialog"
Now another box comes up, in the left box it has your saved presets, if any just delete them all, we'll start from scratch, on the right hand side you can choose output format, pick whatever suits you, now click on 'processing' another box appears, check the box in the upper left, now in the right hand box you will see a box filled with different filters and such, scroll till you find IIR Filter, highlight it and click the arrow so it goes into the Active DSP box, now highlight that and click on 'configure selected' there will be a dropbox, select 'CD-De-emphasis" click ok, now you can go 'Back' now you "Save' that preset, and it should show in the left hand box "Saved Presets", I just named mine 'pre' , now hit the 'convert' button, a file destination folder will pop up, so just direct it where you want the files (songs) to go. a 'converter' box will pop up adding the new EQ while it's ripping the disc :)
Now whenever you have another disc with pre, after you hit 'Rip' you now have a choice of using the preset

Wow, thank you very much for the detailed description, it is appreciated!

However, this is not exactly what I want. I have ripped multiple pre-emphasised discs with EAC, they are now put away in store; I have the FLAC files on my PC, and what I am looking for is a way of playing these files the way they are, with de-emphasis added on the fly. The tools discussed here are exactly what I need.

Anyway, I am just interested in why Mudlord's plugin simply de-emphasises every PE-tagged file I play even when the plugin is NOT listed in "Active DSPs"; and if there's any updates the the components shared in the first post of this thread.

P.s.: I just noticed that lvqcl's foo_dsp_deemph.zip seems to have a weird bug: I played two FLAC files from two different folders, both have the PRE-EMPHASIS tag properly set to "1"; and lvqcl's DSP plugin is listed in "Active DSPs". Now, one file gets de-emphasised - and one doesn't! I experimented a bit and found out this: When I copied he file that didn't get de-emphasised to a different location on my hard drive with much less subdirectories and shorter folder names, it suddenly did get de-emphasised properly. I added both, the original file at the original location and the one I had moved to a different location, to the playlist, and indeed: 100% identical files sound differently because one does not get de-emphasised apparently because its file path is too long! I am just happy I figured this out quickly. Will re-organise my folders now in order to avoid long paths with too many letters.

Reply #104
I am just interested in why Mudlord's plugin ignores simply de-emphasises every PE-tagged file I play even when the plugin is NOT listed in "Active DSPs"
Because it is postprocessor, not just DSP. Did you read its description?
Performs RIAA CD/phono deemphasis eith as a decode postprocessor or selectable DSP.

Reply #105
I am just interested in why Mudlord's plugin simply de-emphasises every PE-tagged file I play even when the plugin is NOT listed in "Active DSPs"
Because it is postprocessor, not just DSP. Did you read its description?
Performs RIAA CD/phono deemphasis eith as a decode postprocessor or selectable DSP.

Thanks! Yes, I read that. But I am pretty new to this kind of stuff, I wasn't sure what it means. Does it mean that as soon as the Plugin is installed, it will start de-emphasising every file that is played and has the PRE-EMPHASIS tag set to "1" or "yes"?

EDIT: But given that the description says EITHER postprocessor or selectable DSP, there should be a way to use it as DSP rather as postprocessor, no? I just didn't find out how I can do that.

Reply #106
As postprocessor it works on files that have tag PRE_EMPHASIS or PRE-EMPHASIS with value "1", "on" or "yes" even if it is not in active DSP list. As DSP it works on ALL files if it is in active DSP list.

Reply #107
As postprocessor it works on files that have tag PRE_EMPHASIS or PRE-EMPHASIS with value "1", "on" or "yes" even if it is not in active DSP list. As DSP it works on ALL files if it is in active DSP list.

I see, thanks! So that's a big difference to lvqcl's foo_dsp_deemph.zip, right? Because on my PC, lvqcl's DSP plugin does only de-emphasise files that have the  PRE_EMPHASIS or PRE-EMPHASIS with value "1", "on" or "yes". Why is lvqcl's DSP plugin not available on Foobar's official components page anyway?

Reply #108
what it means is post processing rarely works unless marked loading as a dsp is mush simpler especially when the preset is used but be sure only use it on content you know needs it because it will per mentally alter the file
dont worry about anything just follow my  instructions

Reply #109
what it means is post processing rarely works unless marked loading as a dsp is mush simpler especially when the preset is used but be sure only use it on content you know needs it because it will per mentally alter the file
dont worry about anything just follow my  instructions

I do appreciate your comments. However, altering the file permanently really isn't what I want. I want the de-emphasis to be done on-the-fly. And given that, it seems that for now, I will have to accept one drawback or other: Either I use Mudlord's plugin as a postprocessor, in which case I will have to accept that the only way of stopping it from automatically de-emphasising all PE-tagged files is to uninstall it. (My problem with this is that sometimes I WANT to hear how a PE'ed recording sounds without de-emphasis treatment.) Or I use lvqcl's foo_dsp_deemph.zip, in which case I will have to accept that it doesn't work with long file paths. That's why I would be very interested in an update for lvqcl's DSP plugin.

Reply #110
it doesn't work with long file paths.

I very much doubt it. Are you sure that foobar2000 sees PRE-EMPHASIS tag in that file?

Also try this: right click on the file -> Tagging -> Reload info from files (if you don't have such menu item then hold Shift key during right click).

Reply #111

I very much doubt it. Are you sure that foobar2000 sees PRE-EMPHASIS tag in that file?

Also try this: right click on the file -> Tagging -> Reload info from files (if you don't have such menu item then hold Shift key during right click).

Thanks for your response! As explained above, I made an exact copy of the file to a different folder with a shorter path, and that one worked without a problem. Anyway, I can do another test, I will report my finding. Thanks for your great tool anyway, even with the path problem it is still very helpful.

Reply #112

Thanks again for your reply. I just repeated the test. And now your plugin just works, for both copies of the file. I have no idea why it didn't before, I did repeat the test several times when I did it first. Anyway, the important thing is that it works now. :-)

Is the version that you posted at the beginning of this thread the most recent one?

Thanks and kind regards

Reply #118
Oh. What about taking them to the official repository?

There's already foo_dsp_deemph (by mudlord) there.

Yes, but as discussed above, it works very differently from yours. I didn't even know that before it was explained by Rollin above. For my purposes, your plugin is much better. Why not add it to the repository and shortly explain the difference in the description? And maybe rename yours in order to avoid confusions? Just making suggestions of course.

Reply #119
Thank you, lvqcl, for this great component.
It works like a charm and I prefer the post-processing way.
Very handy for ReplayGain.

I have a question: would it be possible to indicate its status when the de-emph porcess is active?
Of course, you could use the PRE_EMPHASIS tag, but I'm talking about visual feedback when the component is actually in circuit, during playback.
Is there some way doing that?

Thanks.

Reply #120
I don't know if there's a better place to put this, but I made a column script to display "Yes" if the PRE-EMPHASIS or PRE_EMPHASIS tag is present and valid. It will display "INVALID" if the tag is not valid. I made sure it works for all valid tags regardless of capitalization because the values "yes" or "on" are not case-sensitive for activating the de-emphasis plug-in. I found this functionality useful and thought others here might as well.

$if(%PRE-EMPHASIS%,$if($or($stricmp(%PRE-EMPHASIS%,1)$stricmp($upper(%PRE-EMPHASIS%),ON)$stricmp($upper(%PRE-EMPHASIS%),YES)),Yes,INVALID))$if(%PRE_EMPHASIS%,$if($or($stricmp(%PRE_EMPHASIS%,1)$stricmp($upper(%PRE_EMPHASIS%),ON)$stricmp($upper(%PRE_EMPHASIS%),YES)),Yes,INVALID))
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #121
Oh. What about taking them to the official repository?

There's already foo_dsp_deemph (by mudlord) there.
Does anyone here know why mudlord's foo_dsp_deemph component is not available on the Foorbar2000 components webpage anymore?
(I don't find it anywhere else anymore either.)
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask that, I just didn't know what the right place was.
Happy new year everybody.

EDIT: The mudlord component can still be found here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200628051501/http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_deemph

Reply #122
here is the latest version 2.0 of the component...

Reply #124
and here is the installation file, for those who aren't able to install the component manually...