Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 for mac (Read 107675 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foobar2000 for mac

Reply #25
Thanks for the effort! Always great to see something new about foobar.

> “foobar2000.app” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

I understand that spending money on Apple's certificate may be too bad, but then perhaps you could use a GPG key to sign the binaries, so that people who care could easily verify that it's legit. HTTPS is good, but HTTPS alone is not 100% bulletproof (people need to manually check if the certificate didn't change to some other issued by a Chinese CA or something). And since foobar2000 is quite popular, I am sure it will be targeted by internet hooligans.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #26
Tried to drag&drop about 145 gigabytes of music (which is mostly FLAC, and some WavPack and TAK), took about 3 minutes of "Indexing Media". A bit strange, as it's all on a fast SSD connected via Thunderbolt, and CPU usage was very low during the indexing.

Then I started playback, created new playlist, deleted the original playlist (ending up with 1 empty playlist) and clicked "next track" a few times. It seems like it still uses the removed playlist — subsequent tracks from the deleted playlist are playing. Is it as intended?

Reply #27
Damn, amazing!

Reply #28
Hello Peter!  I'm most impressed with your ability to get foobar on a mac.  I've kept my Windows install around so that I could use the replay gain function for files on my phone.  I might not have to do that anymore. :)

I'm playing around with install version 2.1.10 and I cannot access preferences at all. Its totally greyed out.  I'm not sure if this is intentional, but I felt it would be good to share.  I'm on an imac running High Sierra 10.13.4
foobar2000, FLAC, and qAAC -V90
It just works people!

Reply #29
Preferences are not implemented yet in the macOS version, to my knowledge.

Reply #30
thank you, but for the love of god, please implement EQ and black theme!

Reply #31
Any chance we could see support for importing themes?

Reply #32
Hi Peter, Thanks so much!
Since I moved to Mac some years ago Foobar was the piece of software I missed more than anything else!
Despite his presently essential look I'm so happy to click his icon again.
My small suggestion would be the possibility to choose the audio interface.
A dark theme I'm sure would be really appreciate.
Thanks again for your effort on the porting!

Reply #34
Hi! thank you so much, I've been waiting for this moment for over 3 years since I left windows behind.

I obviously understand this is just a raw version, but things I miss the most are:

1. support of previous/play-pause/next (F7/F8/F9 on the keyboard) buttons. mine still tries to launch iTunes when trying to use them.
2. last fm scrobble support (doesn't even recognise the player)
3. the bar with the whole library on the left hand side with a search bar.

any chance for any of those to be done?

thanks so much
Pav

Reply #35
I'm confused. Plug-ins don't work at all right now or am I missing something?
Not a complaint, sometimes I'm to simple for technology. :-D

Reply #36
Doesn't support plugins (yet?), and even if it did, everything would have to be specially ported to macOS.

Reply #37
Does macos support something similar to Wine for Linux? That would be lot easier, despite not being native.

Reply #38
Does macos support something similar to Wine for Linux? That would be lot easier, despite not being native.
Wine runs on macOS too. (The wine itself, not something similar to wine; and it is easy to install via homebrew).
I use foobar2000 on it, and it is mostly okay. Still a lot better than all the other players available.

Reply #39
Hi,

Thank you very much for making foobar2000 available for macOS.
I've tried this app a bit. While understanding its limited functions, some of these issues I think are essential to point out:
1. Quit and reopen the app and all the changes (which fields to display) are reset. These changes need to be maintained.
2. No shortcut key to (Play/Pause...). No options for shuffle and loop the whole playlist.
3. No capability to change artwork of a song. This is the only missing thing to make it a true tag-editor, which popular apps like VOX are lacking of.
4. No information about current song, have to scroll down the whole playlist to see which one is checked in "Playing".

I think the above points are essential, why other functions can be improved later.
I hope that you will update to make it a standard macOS music player app.
I'd really appreciate your hard work. Thank you very much.

Reply #40
Hello; re to Peter / Foobar2000 for Mac developers;

I registered to be able to post here and comment on Foobar2000 for Mac. Will give a few comments and suggestions.

When I came to the point I could switch to Mac due to financial constrains, I was shocked and annoyed to learn that there is no Foobar2000 for Mac. Additionally, most audio players are complete junk full of "features", actually preventing people from listening to music, same like on Windows machines. It turned out the only alternative is VLC; which is not that pleasant to use as an audio player. It is bulky and has weird usage logic. Than I found you published Foobar for Mac! :) Kudos! I use Foobar for mac essentially from the beginning for music play purposes. There are some issues with it however. If fixed, Foobar might as well become player of preference for Mac for millions of users.

1. Cmd+Backspace doesn't delete stuff from playlist; same for Fn+Backspace (del), only mouse right-click works - this is annoying
2. Foobar2000 **really** needs in program volume bar. Without it it is not possible to fine-tune volume levels
3. It would be fantastic if Foobar2000 would be integrated with Mac audio controls

You do this, and it would be bye bye all other players for tech savvy users.

Thank for making this software. Foobar is brilliant in its simplicity and effectiveness.

Reply #41
I've lurked these forums far too long, so this'll be my inaugural post. I love and have been using foobar for ages.

@Peter so, I was able to isolate one bug.. upon initially pointing foobar 2.1.13(1) to my master folder (includes flacs, mp3s, imgs, zips, 7z, wavs, logs, cues, etc.), it faults upon trying to handle ZIP archives. to make sure, I confined away all zips from said folder, and foobar was happy to file away the rest of the folder's contents.

I'm a developer, bit of a hacker myself, so I knew to use Xcode/Instruments in this instance. hope this helps some :) sorry for not submitting a formal report. please understand: reasons ;)

Reply #42
The ZIP (and also RAR) issue is already fixed, and will hopefully be solved by a fresh binary upload soonish?

Reply #43
There's a fixed version out.

Reply #44
why even bother releasing this? is peter going to continue developing this or...

Reply #45
I do my computing exclusively on Macs and while I use iTunes to archive my music (in ALAC), I still use foobar2000 through wine for some of its plug-ins (eg ABX, ReplayGain, Waveform Seekbar to monitor loudness, etc)

I remembered having Wine Bottler.app (GUI wrapper for wine?) already installed on my machine, and with it the installation was pretty easy.

I don’t use Windows’ fb2k through wine on macOS to play music simply just because I have been too used to iTunes, and my many Apple devices can be used as remote controllers for iTunes seamlessly.

I do my playback with iTunes, conversion is handled by either XLD or FFmpeg, and most tagging is done on fb2k.

Reply #46
Hopefully we'll see a Linux version some day... with plugin support. :-)

Reply #47

Reply #48
@Peter any plans on open sourcing it?

Reply #49
New version up: 2.1.18

New UI design
Work-in-progress. Preferences are currently in the main window. If this concept turns out to be annoying much, they will be moved to a separate window.

Old Mac OS support
foobar2000 now officially runs on everything from OSX Mavericks up.
Note that I do not intend to support Mavericks indefinitely, but an old version of foobar2000 will be kept available for those who stick with old Mac OS.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.