Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problem with foo_input_dts, calling kode54 (Read 4359 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem with foo_input_dts, calling kode54

Hi! I've been a foo_input_dts user for a long time, thanks for your work, kode54.

I recently updated the component from the old 0.3.3 version I was using to the latest version I got on your webpage, 0.5.3.

I use DTS files converted to SPDIF WAV and encapsulated in FLAC and ALAC files (to tag them). This has always worked great with 0.3.3 with foobar decoding them and reproducing them correctly as DTS.

Now, with 0.5.3 the audio comes out... garbled? Like it skips frames or something?

This is what I hear:
https://mega.nz/#!wK5nmJDC!PzAhzgpTBZ_JRjZBHNhdk1ekKiVgSbs_Jxt5cp4EFis

Here's a 30 seconds sample that plays just fine with 0.3.3 and like the above audio with 0.5.3:

https://mega.nz/#!VWQWHRDI!S9FiAdTFCoUMMBu0oalb6-iaSThAZKOffZL60CjkJJQ

I hope this can help. Thanks again.

Re: Problem with foo_input_dts, calling kode54

Reply #1
Regular *.dts files are played correctly, by the way. It's just when they're SPDIF WAVs compressed to FLAC or ALAC that the problem is there. And it wasn't there in 0.3.3.

Reply #2
I gave up on this component long ago. The source is there, but it's useless, as what really needs to be done is make yet another FFmpeg plugin with a custom build of FFmpeg, just for one format. The library I use was discontinued in favor of forcing people to use the entirety of FFmpeg just to do one job.

It would be entirely better if both AC3 and DTS were folded into the player core, and supported by its bundled copy of FFmpeg.

Reply #3
Hi! I've been a foo_input_dts user for a long time, thanks for your work, kode54.

I recently updated the component from the old 0.3.3 version I was using to the latest version I got on your webpage, 0.5.3.

I use DTS files converted to SPDIF WAV and encapsulated in FLAC and ALAC files (to tag them). This has always worked great with 0.3.3 with foobar decoding them and reproducing them correctly as DTS.

Now, with 0.5.3 the audio comes out... garbled? Like it skips frames or something?

This is what I hear:
https://mega.nz/#!wK5nmJDC!PzAhzgpTBZ_JRjZBHNhdk1ekKiVgSbs_Jxt5cp4EFis

Here's a 30 seconds sample that plays just fine with 0.3.3 and like the above audio with 0.5.3:

https://mega.nz/#!VWQWHRDI!S9FiAdTFCoUMMBu0oalb6-iaSThAZKOffZL60CjkJJQ

I hope this can help. Thanks again.

If you can (if your AVR decodes DTS, which most do) just stream it to the AVR raw, and let the AVR decode it.   Works for me.  Disable foo_dts and use a WASAPI plugin to let you do bitstreaming.  It definitely works for DTS wav encapulates as FLAC.

Reply #4
If you can (if your AVR decodes DTS, which most do) just stream it to the AVR raw, and let the AVR decode it.   Works for me.  Disable foo_dts and use a WASAPI plugin to let you do bitstreaming.  It definitely works for DTS wav encapulates as FLAC.
Luckily I had the older version installer and I can simply keep on using that.

kode54, do you have a repository of old versions of the plugin? I'd like to understand when the problem started. Thank you.

Reply #6
The problem started when I switched from one obsolete library to a slightly less obsolete library, which required an almost total rewrite of the DTS stream parsing, to accomodate DTS-HD MA and other extended stream formats that could now be decoded. As I said, this new library is also obsolete, the only DTS decoder currently being maintained by anyone recommends that users pull in the entirety of FFmpeg, possibly stripped down to just that codec.

So, let's understand the differences here.

Old library: Supports DTS "16 bit" decoded to floating point precision, at up to 48 kHz.

New library: Supports DTS 96/24, HD-MA, etc, decoded at 24 bit precision, converted to floating point for the player. Not offset correct, so possibly lossy.

Newer library: Requires the whole kitchen sink that is FFmpeg, may as well just ask Peter to add it to the player core himself, unless you want to reduce your maximum installable components list by another 2-3 DLL files that range in the 2-3MB size, just for yet another copy of FFmpeg that's pared down to just DTS support.

Reply #7
DTS may be a bit too patent-encumbered to be supported by the core.

PS: the component limit shouldn't be a problem with foobar2000 v1.4 anymore, it uses dynamic runtime linking and bundles the required MSVC 2017 dlls.

Reply #8
Oh boy, I am missing out on an alpha test cycle. Too bad I can't support that until it becomes at least a public beta test.

Reply #9
kode54, do you have a repository of old versions of the plugin? I'd like to understand when the problem started. Thank you.

https://gitlab.kode54.net/kode54/foo_input_dts
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am aware of the development repository. I meant a repository of already compiled plugins, I do not have a development environment to compile myself.

kode54, is 0.3.3 the last version before the switch to the new library?

Reply #10
Few old versions (between last old lib -0.3.3 and first new lib-0.4.0):
http://rgho.st/7Kc59qYTG

Reply #11
That is correct, 0.3.3 is the last version. For all intents and purposes, that version can be frozen in time, since that library is never changing, and will never be updated again.

Reply #12
That is correct, 0.3.3 is the last version. For all intents and purposes, that version can be frozen in time, since that library is never changing, and will never be updated again.
Ok, good. At least I know I have the latest one. I understand the need to decode DTS-HD and other formats, but those I convert anyway to FLAC. Thanks a lot for all the info and for all the awesome development you do for fb2k. :)

Reply #13
Just a clarification. The current version, 0.5.4, is still using the "new" library but not the newer, correct? So there's still no FFMPEG involved, right?

Reply #14
No FFmpeg involved. And I probably won't be involving FFmpeg, either. Do we really need the player, and two separate third party components all importing their own versions of FFmpeg?