Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playback stops and "Preferences: Output" pops up when screen (Read 945 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback stops and "Preferences: Output" pops up when screen

Description:

With screen gone to sleep (due to PC inactivity or any other reason), and foobar2k still playing music:
When you wake it up (move the mouse or use the keyboard), about 2-4 seconds after that the picture is visible, foobar2k stops playing and opens the "Preferences: Output" window, with the "Device" drop down list open. All my primary output device is still present on that list (no changes there at all).

Just clicking cancel in preferences (no changes) and then play restarts playback (from the beginning of the track).

If just turning off the screen with its power switch, and later turning it on again, this issue does not occur.

System info:

Windows XP SP3 (32bit)
foobar2000 1.1.11

The screen is connected via DVI.
A TV is also connected via HDMI, but is off all the time during this.

I've had this setup for over a year without this problem.

Recently I'va updated the GPU drivers (AMD/ATI Radeon 4850), which added a HDMI sound device. I it's probably related to that.
Anyone know of a solution/workaround?

Playback stops and "Preferences: Output" pops up when screen

Reply #1
Disabling "AMD High Definition Audio Device" in device manager solved the issue.

I guess it wasn't foobar2k related, but could be useful information for others in the same situation.