Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HA and Daylight Savings Time (Read 3355 times) previous topic - next topic

HA and Daylight Savings Time

Until recently, the timing of the most recent posts on the HA portal indicated that my local time (US Eastern Standard Time) was 3 hours ahead of the official HA time; so, given Dibrom's idiomatic US English, I naturally assumed that the HA nerve center was located on the West Coast.

But developments early in April have thrown this all into doubt and confusion.  Ever since Massachusetts went on Daylight Savings Time (and of course the west coast did so at the same time),  I have been FOUR hours ahead of Hydrogen Audio time!

A person unfamiliar with this forum might think that HA simply forgot to change the time.  But the people here are far too technically and scientifically sophisticated for that to be the case; so, as I see it, there are only a few possible explanations.

1) Dibrom moved to Alaska early this month, and he didn't tell us.  Alternatively, he may be cruising on a yacht several hundred miles off the coast.

2) HA has made a bold philosophical decision, analogous to that of the hardy individualists of Arizona and half of Indiana, to spit in the eye of Daylight Savings Time and carry on as if nothing had happened.

3) The site has been hacked by vicious and irresponsible persons (possibly agents of the CIA, maybe Saddam's cronies, maybe aliens -- how would I know?) who are dedicated to impeding the progress of audio compression techniques.

I don't know which of the above is true.  But for my part, I am afraid -- very afraid.

Reply #1
My Controls -> Board Settings -> Is daylight savings time in effect? <check>

Touché! 

(I still enjoyed your post very much! Plus, it reminded me to activate the same feature.  )

Edit: This same thing happened to me last year!

Reply #2
3) is the right answer.

Reply #3
SometimesWarrior,  thanks for the tip.  I should have guessed that it would turn out to be my fault, but I thought the other options were a lot more interesting.

Just in case rjamorim is correct, though, I'm going to keep wearing my tinfoil hat so that those aliens can't read my thoughts.  And I'd recommend that the rest of you do the same.  Better safe than sorry.

Reply #4
3) is the right answer.

But who exactly? CIA, cronies or aliens?

Reply #5
Now I know why I'm thankful living just 1 degree north of the equator

Reply #6
My Controls -> Board Settings -> Is daylight savings time in effect? <check>

The checkbox didn't show up in Mozilla here. I had to fire up IE which I hadn't used for ages.
--
Ge Someone
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.