Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Album Art Downloader XUI (Read 2051631 times) previous topic - next topic
sPeziFisH and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1600
I see! thanks a lot for your replies.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1601
I'm using AAD to download art for singles.  I have quite a lot of files in the following format (or similar to it):

Artist Feat. Other Artist - Track (XYZ Mix)

On a lot of occassions, a much better match is found by AAD if I manually change the search in file browser to:

Artist - Track

But, this then means that, when I double-click the art, it downloads with a name which doesn't match the filename.  This means I then have to manually change the name of the art (becuase I want it to reflect the music file, except for the file extension).

Solution/Feature Request:  have a button in the file browser (called something like "Preserve naming & search again") which, when clicked, means that when the file search is manually amended in the file browser boxes, and art downloaded, the art is downloaded with the name that would have applied before the "Preserve naming & search again" button was pressed.

What do you think?

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1602
Hello, thanks for your suggestion. I'm afraid I'm not quite clear on the process you are describing, though.

I think where you refer to the "file browser", you actually mean the search window? The file browser lists all your albums and indicates whether they already have art or not, the search window finds art for a single album.

If you mean the search window, can you tell me where the artist and album information comes from - are you launching it using the command line from Foobar or some other application? Or from the AAD file browser? If you give me some more details I might be able to come up with a solution.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1603
Hi Alex,  yes you're correct, I should have referred to the search window.

The artist and album information comes from the AAD file browser.

Thanks for taking the time to consider this.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1604
OK, thanks for the clarification. The best I can suggest at the moment is that after the first search, you click on the filename of any of the results, and hit Ctrl+C to copy it. When you get results for the amended search, you can then click on the filename of the result you want to save, then hit Ctrl+V to paste the old name before clicking the save button. I appreciate it isn't ideal, but I think the functionality you suggest is likely to confuse more people than it helps, so I'd be reluctant to add it to the UI.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1605
Alex,  I tried what you suggested but it doesn't work.  AAD seems to remember the last search term and ignores the pasted (Ctrl+V) info.

I'd imagine AAD is used by relatively sophisticated users (the types who come onto HA) so I imagine they could cope quite well with such a feature.  Perhaps even "hide" it in an "advanced" panel which has to be activated by pressing F1 or something ...

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1606
Thanks for this wonderfull program!

How can i embed the downloaded the art in my MP3?
Is this something that 'Album Art Downloader XUI' could do?

Thanks

AFAIK, Album Art Downloader can't embed images in MP3s yet, but there are several other programs that can do this. One of the better ones out there for Windows is MP3Tag, which makes it fairly simple: you select the MP3 file, go to View > Extended Tags... (Alt+T), click "Add Cover..." and select the file(s) containing the artwork.

If you have a whole album of MP3s in a single folder, you can copy the artwork to the folder, and some players will recognize the artwork and display it while the songs in that folder are playing.

I got a large collection with good songs, all put togheter in one folder (all diferent artists and albums), but that makes it almost impossible to get the art attached to the songs

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1607
On a lot of occassions, a much better match is found by AAD if I manually change the search in file browser to:

Artist - Track

But, this then means that, when I double-click the art, it downloads with a name which doesn't match the filename. This means I then have to manually change the name of the art (becuase I want it to reflect the music file, except for the file extension).
I don't use AAD file browser but when I launch AAD from foobar and then change the parameters to make a different search, the results are always saved following the original pattern. You might want to try this route, if I understand your problem correctly.

HTH.

Alessandro

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1608
Exist any solutions to make fonts of this beautiful program sharp? Like in WinXP without ClearType or .NET Framework 3.5 doesn't allow this?

P.S. I love smooth fonts but if DPI > 300 :-)

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1609
I got a large collection with good songs, all put togheter in one folder (all diferent artists and albums), but that makes it almost impossible to get the art attached to the songs
Album Art Downloader was really designed for searching for art for an album, rather than for individual songs, which is why using it this way is difficult. What I would suggest, in your case, would be to have the art saved with a known scheme (something like "%album%.%extension%", for example). MP3Tag could then be used for embedding the art in tags, if that's what you want to do with it. g.p.m. did a guide on how to do this.

when I launch AAD from foobar and then change the parameters to make a different search, the results are always saved following the original pattern
This is because you are passing the location to save the results to as a parameter from foobar. So foobar constructs the parameter from the artist and album name, and passes that to AAD (rather than passing placeholders and getting AAD to put in the artist and album name). That won't work from the File Browser, as that will always use placeholders.

I still think the copy and paste solution is the best way to go here - AlphaWave, if you want me to try and give more details on the steps you did so I can work out what you're doing differently to me, send me a PM and we'll take this out of the thread.

Exist any solutions to make fonts of this beautiful program sharp? Like in WinXP without ClearType or .NET Framework 3.5 doesn't allow this?

Sorry, anti-aliasing is built in to WPF, and can not be turned off. It does look better if you have ClearType turned on for Windows, but I agree it would have been nice to have the option to turn it off.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1610
Version 0.38
I've recently been working on trying to remove Album Art Downloader's dependency on GDI+. This will primarily be of interest to anyone getting the irritating "A generic error has occurred in GDI+" message, but using only the WPF image handling (rather than the previous mix of the two) is a generally neater system overall.

It is a fairly serious internal change, so I haven't pushed this out through online updates yet, but I'd appreciate it if anyone feeling adventurous would give it a try. Particularly if you've been receiving GDI+ error messages, but even if you haven't, any feedback on new errors would be very useful. Also, if you notice any changes to performance or memory usage, that would be good to know.

Download:
AlbumArtDownloaderXUI.exe (Installer. Recommended)
AlbumArtDownloaderXUI.zip (zip archive for those who don't like installers)
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (required, except for Windows 7)

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1611
Version 0.38

After unpacking and launching the initialization process went through. Than the window is shown and results are beeing shown. After all that this happen:

Code: [Select]
Album Art Downloader has encountered a fatal error, and has had to close.
If you wish to report this error, please include this information, which
has been written to the file: C:\Program Files\___mp3\foobar2000\albumart\errorlog.txt

App version: 0.38.0.0, running on Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (64 bit)

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: The aim of causing an exception. ---> System.NotSupportedException: No suitable display components to complete this operation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x88982F50): Exception to the HRESULT: 0x88982F50
   Stack trace --- End of inner exception ---
   in MS.Internal.HRESULT.Check (Int32 hr)
   in System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.SetupDecoderFromUriOrStream (Uri uri, Stream stream, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption, Guid & clsid, Boolean & isOriginalWritable, Stream & uriStream, UnmanagedMemoryStream & unmanagedMemoryStream, SafeFileHandle & safeFilehandle)
   in System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.CreateFromUriOrStream (baseUri Uri, Uri uri, Stream stream, BitmapCreateOptions createOptions, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption, RequestCachePolicy uriCachePolicy, Boolean insertInDecoderCache)
   in System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.Create (Stream bitmapStream, BitmapCreateOptions createOptions, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption)
   in AlbumArtDownloader.AlbumArt.get_ImageDecoder ()
   in AlbumArtDownloader.AlbumArt.get_Image ()
   in AlbumArtDownloader.AlbumArt. <> c__DisplayClass6. <RetrieveFullSizeImageWorker> b__5 ()
   Stack trace --- End of inner exception ---
   in System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast (Object target, Object [] arguments, SignatureStruct & sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
   in System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke (Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object [] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
   in System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl (Object [] args)
   in System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall (Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   in System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen (Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
   in System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl ()
   in System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode (Object userdata)
   in System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup (TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userdata)
   in System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   in System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke ()
   in System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue ()
   in System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook (IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean & handled)
   in MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean & handled)
   in MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation (Object o)
   in System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall (Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   in System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen (Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
   in System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl (DispatcherPriority priorities timespan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   in MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   in MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage (MSG & msg)
   in System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.TranslateAndDispatchMessage (MSG & msg)
   in System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl (DispatcherFrame frame)
   in System.Windows.Application.RunInternal (Window window)
   in AlbumArtDownloader.App.AlbumArtDownloader.IPriorInstance.Run ()
   in AlbumArtDownloader.InstanceMutex.RunAppAsServiceHost (IPriorInstance instance, String channelUri)
   in AlbumArtDownloader.App.Main (String [] args)

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1612
Thanks for the report. It appears that it is trying and failing to display a particular image file - can you tell me what you searched for on which source? Obviously it shouldn't crash even if it can't display the image, I'll fix that, but I'd like to take a look at the image in question too. If it turns out that WPF image handling can't decode images that GDI+ can, it might be worth reverting and keeping the old GDI+ system anyway.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1613
Thanks for the report. It appears that it is trying and failing to display a particular image file - can you tell me what you searched for on which source? Obviously it shouldn't crash even if it can't display the image, I'll fix that, but I'd like to take a look at the image in question too. If it turns out that WPF image handling can't decode images that GDI+ can, it might be worth reverting and keeping the old GDI+ system anyway.

Alex

Looks to me like it fails almost on anything. right now i've tried this:
artist: "ani difranco"
album: "canon"
sources: "all" (im using all sources included in zip file youve provided nothing more or less)

to me it looks like it could be a problem of some source only, because results starts to fill the window and than it crash

if i found more time ill try to pinpoint if its trouble of specific source

ps: my system if w7 sp1 64bit... not sure if 64bit could be the culprit

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1614
to me it looks like it could be a problem of some source only, because results starts to fill the window and than it crash

if i found more time ill try to pinpoint if its trouble of specific source

ps: my system if w7 sp1 64bit... not sure if 64bit could be the culprit

Thanks for that. Yes, it will be a problem with a specific image returned from a specific source. Shouldn't be anything to do with 64 bit, the error is basically just WPF saying it doesn't know how to open images of that format. What I need to do is figure out what the format it can't open is (which I'll do by pinpointing which image is triggering it), and whether that's a format that I don't want to live without.

Doing that search, the results I get are 7digital: 10, Amazon: 3 (for each domain), ArkivMusik: 10, Buy.com: 2, Discogs: 3, GoogleImage: 10, Kalahari: 1, LastFM Artist: 10, LastFM Cover: 1, maniadb: 1, Take 2: 10, Yes24: 4. Nothing else returns any results, and I don't get the crash.

Actually, just had an idea - do you have the Local Files source checked? Could it be finding files already on your hard disk?

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1615
Actually, just had an idea - do you have the Local Files source checked? Could it be finding files already on your hard disk?

Yes I do use this also...

but...

testing:
im trying to check one source after another and extending actual search
ok now i know that this is produced by GoogleImage source
i also know that the crash occur AFTER "Automatically download full size images" is checked
ok this is "for sure" triggered when "google image" returns some kind of "404" when asked for full size image

hope this will help

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1616
hope this will help
That's great, it does help, thanks! Google is returning an HTML error page as the image contents, and WPF is trying to construct an image out of that data. So it isn't an odd image format that WPF doesn't support, just a bug with the way it deals with servers returning non-image data from an image url. I'll fix that.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1617
Version 0.38.1
This version fixes the bug reported by cartman(2vd) where it would crash if given invalid image data when retrieving the full sized image.

Download:
AlbumArtDownloaderXUI.exe (Installer. Recommended)
AlbumArtDownloaderXUI.zip (zip archive for those who don't like installers)
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (required, except for Windows 7)

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1619
working perfectly. thx

sadly not for me...

i get a graphics error, but this may not have to do with the new version...
i got the following .net-packages installed: 1.1, 2.0SP2, 3.0SP2, 3.5SP1
it did work with the v37.1

and this is how it looks like, after starting it...

another thing i noticed in v37.1 is, that the discogs-results were not displayed in the results window.
it does count in the search-window how much AAD finds, but they are not displayed.
i did not set any min-max-rates, and results of others like google or juno work fine.

hope, someone can give advice, this tool rocks!!!

fg, dls

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1620
sadly not for me...
[...]
another thing i noticed in v37.1 is, that the discogs-results were not displayed in the results window.
it does count in the search-window how much AAD finds, but they are not displayed.

Wow, that's weird. From that screenshot, it looks like a graphics driver issue to me, and I'd usually recommend ensuring your graphics driver is up to date. I have no explanation as to why it might have worked in 37.1 and not 38.1, though.

If the source shows a count of results, but they are not visible, then it must be filtering them in some way. If you haven't got minimum or maximum size filters set, then maybe you have a cover types filter set? Check that the "Unknown" is ticked in the "Filter by cover types" box, as discogs always uses Unknown as the cover type.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1621
thx for your fast reply!

for me it also seems like a graphic/driver-issue.
but i can play around with any app on my pc for hours with no graphics-error like this.
i also assumed foobar (running with dui) could be the bad player on my pc.

so i tried with foobar running with cui this morning and it works atm.
as soon as i start foobar with dui again, the graphics issues return!
so i'm gonna tell in the foobar-section!

the problem with the discogs-results were selfmade!
i filter only for front-covers, but discogs displays any image as "unknown"... so this was my fault!

another question i came across is the desired path&filename-saving...
under "options" in the main window is displayed "images will be saved to:" in my case "C:\...\Folder%preset%.%extension%"
underneath is the advice: "This Path was set automatically ... The Location ... can be set in the options for that window"

now i want to store the files as "front.jpg" instead of "folder.jpg" but where to find this option, am i stupid or just blind?

fg, dls

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1622
now i want to store the files as "front.jpg" instead of "folder.jpg"

That's weird with the foobar dui showing graphical corruption too. I've no idea what's going on there.

To change where the results are stored when starting from the File Browser or the Foobar Browser, click the Options link in that browser window and modify the "Path to find images" box. If you want it to be literally "front.jpg" you can put that in, but you could also have "%type%.%extension%" if you want it to fill in the cover type automatically. Remember you can click on the cover type in the result to change it, if it's wrong, before saving.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1623
Images will be saved:
\folder%preset%.%extension% -> folder.jpeg (version 0.38.1)
\folder%preset%.%extension% -> folder.jpg (version 0.37.1:)

I have not found how to fix it.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1624
Well spotted! It seems that WIC and GDI+ have differing opinions on what the default extension for jpeg images should be. I'll put in a special-case workaround to use .jpg for jpeg files anyway, to keep consistency. Until then, if it's important, you could temporarily change ".%extension%" to ".jpg", as there are really very few images that aren't jpegs.

Alex