Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Unrecoverable playback error - Unsupported stream format (Read 20415 times) previous topic - next topic

Unrecoverable playback error - Unsupported stream format

Hi all,

I have an MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING 1150 motherboard with a Realtek ALC1150 sound chip. From this I go optical to a Marantz PM6005 amp. Output setings in screenshot below.
This works perfectly fine and plays all my music if I use Direct Sound but with the latest WASAPI driver installed (3.2.2), I cannot play 88200Hhz files. Same goes for any file with 6 channels output.

I get:

Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 88200 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels

and...

Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 24-bit / 6 channels

Swapping from event to push, changing size of buffer or output format bitness doesn't make any difference.
Can this be helped in anyway and if not is it that my Marantz cannot play these formats or would a better soundcard help?
Many thanks!

Reply #1
Try 32 bit.

Reply #3
You can use 2 DSPs in foobar2000 DSP Manager: "Resample" and "Downmix to stereo".

Or you can use DirectSound Output and Windows should do it itself.

Reply #4
You can use 2 DSPs in foobar2000 DSP Manager: "Resample" and "Downmix to stereo".

Or you can use DirectSound Output and Windows should do it itself.

Fair enough, but I wanted to understand weather its the on-board sound that cannot play that format or is it the Marantz?
Does WASAPI completely bypass the on-board sound and feeds the native stream to the Marantz?

Tried an earlier version of WASAPI which had the "Attempt to play unsupported formats" option, but even with that on it tries to play for a split second then same errors pop up again.

Reply #5
Optical? S/PDIF?

S/PDIF only supports sample rates of 32 , 44.1 and 48 kHz for uncompressed PCM audio streams

Reply #6
Optical

Reply #7
S/PDIF only supports sample rates of 32 , 44.1 and 48 kHz for uncompressed PCM audio streams

Are you sure? (BTW, both coax cable and optical are S/PDIF)

Reply #8
I'm quite confident

S/PDIF C Channel Information

Code: [Select]
Byte 3: Sample rate

27 26 25 24 Sample frequency Fs
-------------------------------------------
0  0  0  0 44.1kHz
0  0  1  0 48kHz
0  0  1  1 32kHz or sample rate converter

Reply #9
I'm quite confident

S/PDIF C Channel Information

While that is technically correct, it doesn't reflect how things work in the real world.  I have personally run 16/96 and 24/96 over S/PDIF without issue and I have seen reports of up to 24/192 working as well.  While the spec says only those three rates are supported, pretty much everything recovers the clock from the data stream itself so non-spec rates work if the receiving equipment supports them. 

As to the OP's original issue:  I can confirm that the ALC1150 does not support 88.2 KHz, you will need to use a resampler or DirectSound.  Uncompressed multi-channel will also not work over S/PDIF

Reply #10
OK so I'll just get a new sound card. Can anyone recommend anything decent enough to do the job?

Many thanks

Reply #11
I can confirm that the ALC1150 does not support 88.2 KHz, you will need to use a resampler or DirectSound.

According to this it does:

Primary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate
Secondary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate

Reply #12
While that is technically correct, it doesn't reflect how things work in the real world.

You're right, but the consequences are only sample rates of 32, 44.1 and 48 kHz are mandatory for audio devices. Support of higher samples rates depends entirley on the manufactor of the audio device.

Reply #13
According to this it does:

Primary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate
Secondary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate

OK, I did a couple more tests on my ALC1150 on my Asus X99-A.  Default Windows 8.1 "High Definition Audio Device" driver. 

In foobar with a native 88.2k file, no DSPs, WASAPI output:

- Selecting either speakers or headphone output gives: "Unsupported stream format: 88200 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels"
- Selecting S/PDIF does play, but this computer is not near a any of my receivers that can play 88.2k so I don't know if it is for sure working. 

On this particular PC I never used the SPDIF output so I assumed that it supported the same formats as the analog outputs.  It seems that is not correct.

Reply #14
You're right, but the consequences are only sample rates of 32, 44.1 and 48 kHz are mandatory for audio devices. Support of higher samples rates depends entirley on the manufactor of the audio device.

I won't claim to have tested an exhaustive set of SPDIF devices, but I haven't seen one in quite a while that doesn't support at least 96k.  I originally tested 96k over SPDIF on a Marantz 6200, which is pushing 15 years old now.

Reply #15

I won't claim to have tested an exhaustive set of SPDIF devices, but I haven't seen one in quite a while that doesn't support at least 96k.  I originally tested 96k over SPDIF on a Marantz 6200, which is pushing 15 years old now.

I don't think it's the upper limit per se, it's 88.2k specifically that is the problem, as I've had the same error message on my Foobar/WASAPI system. If you changed the files to 44.1k, 48k or 96k using Audacity, WASAPI should (in my experience) play without problems. At least, that's what I have done and the error messages went away.

I believe HDTracks sells some or maybe all of its files in 88.2k and not every setup will play it without resampling.

Reply #16
It almost pains me to think that I have to get a new Sound Card and it would have to be quite an expensive one just so it can report to Windows it can play 88200.
It won't do anything else because the DAC in the Marantz will do the conversion via the optical out.

I wonder if there is a way to change a setting (registry/driver) to force the Realtek to report 88200 as a sample rate it can be capable of playing (wherever Windows is looking for that info).

Reply #17
It almost pains me to think that I have to get a new Sound Card and it would have to be quite an expensive one just so it can report to Windows it can play 88200.
Is there  a specific reason you cannot just output 16bit/44.1khz audio? Does it have to be "bit-perfect" so that the Marantz will decode DTS data in the stream? If no, just add a resampler and be happy with your soundcard.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.