Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FB on 32bit LUbuntu 18 vs Daphile (Read 1189 times) previous topic - next topic

FB on 32bit LUbuntu 18 vs Daphile

hi there,
I would like to know if anyone of the forum has some experience on foobar installed on 32 bit structure Lubuntu 18 on an old PC.
Could it be installed? Could it plays DSD file?
Do you have experienced comparison with Daphile?
Thanks a lot in advance

Re: FB on 32bit LUbuntu 18 vs Daphile

Reply #1
hi there,
I would like to know if anyone of the forum has some experience on foobar installed on 32 bit structure Lubuntu 18 on an old PC.
Could it be installed? Could it plays DSD file?
Do you have experienced comparison with Daphile?
Thanks a lot in advance

So I've run Foobar under WINE and had it at least decoding DSD; but this was on a virtualization server and had no audio...literally did it for 10 cores of transcoding.

I can install 32 but lubuntu on a VM tonight and see if I can get it to work. This ultimately depends on getting my XMos based DAC to at least work in HD bit-perfect for DoP.

I dont think native DSD on ASIO is possible.
SMSL SU-8 -> Little Bear P5 -> Sansui SE-8 - Denon PMA-770 -> Ohm Model L | High-Res Lover | DSD Enthusiast | Mad SACD-Scientist

Reply #2
Dewdude  thanks for replying.
I am using FB actually on a Sony Vaio with i3 processor 64 bit structure. It is connected to a SMSL 200M DAC, HK6100, B&W.
It works perfectly. I can play DSD520.
The idea is to dedicate a PC just as music player and the one I have available is really old.
I have installed Daphile on this old PC and the sound is great with my set.
I would like to use FB because it sounds great too and it is easy to use, friendly I mean.
I still could not give an evaluation or a ranking between Daphile and FB. The settings are really important and I did not have enough time to make experiment.

Reply #3
I think "quality" between players these days is overblown; so much of this stuff is based off the same codebase. There's probably zero difference in audio quality between the two.
SMSL SU-8 -> Little Bear P5 -> Sansui SE-8 - Denon PMA-770 -> Ohm Model L | High-Res Lover | DSD Enthusiast | Mad SACD-Scientist

Reply #4
It won't work. I can't get WINE to properly talk to the sound system in Linux.

Reply #5
thanks dewdude. I am working with Daphile and it works very well. I am sorry not to have the possibility to use FB on my old PC.
Probably I have to work a lot with Daphile in order to optimize the use. FB is really intuitive and easy to use. THe management of the tracks is really easy to do compared with Daphile. I agree with you that is very difficult to notice such a big difference in the sound.

Reply #6
The biggest problem is I don't do much on Linux desktop...let alone with WINE. I've always had audio issues with Linux desktop so I avoided it. The WINE layer is also adding difficulty.

Now I've heard there's a patch for ALSA that will add native DSD support. I've also read where there's WINEASIO out there. What I need to do is study how the compatibility layer in WINE for sound functions.

Reply #7
Experiment with PipeWire as a PulseAudio replacement. Many modern distributions are either moving there, or in the case of rolling distributions such as Arch, capable of moving there already or starting there if you are just installing.

In the case of Arch, you'll want to install pipewire, pipewire-alsa, pipewire-pulse, and optionally pipewire-jack. If you have already installed PulseAudio, you'll want to:

pacman -Rdd pulseaudio pulseaudio-bluetooth

Prior to installing PipeWire. And it is possible, with a little finesse, to shut down the existing sound server and start the new one, if you're switching without rebooting.

And realizing this is about a 2018 LTS of a distribution, your chances of pulling this off without extra repositories is probably pretty slim.