Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TAK 1.0.3 - Beta release 1 (Read 29775 times) previous topic - next topic

TAK 1.0.3 - Beta release 1

Reply #25
the pipes work only in one-way direction, right ?

Reply #26

Anyway, i have a question regarding the sts option. Other than the loss of compression efficiency, is there any problem in using say -sts60 for all files? I ask because i want to have a single tak preset that i can use on all files... i'm willing to sacrifice the tiny amount of compression for this.

I will rework the relevant part of the pipe encoding section of my manual and post it here. Hopefully it will make some topics more clear. I myself have to think a bit more about it...

For now a short answer: Personally i would use -sts10 for such an all-in-one setting (single short songs and cd images of up to about 80 minutes). I should make this the default...

I encoded a 68 minutes song with sts3 and didn't even recognize any delay when seeking through the song over long distances.
IMO you can simply make 10 the default, and there's btw no need to promote the sts option in the documentation too loud.

The default is now 10 minutes and this setting is recommended for an audio duration of about 1 to 80 minutes.

And here is the updated section of my manual:

Adaptions for very short or long audio data

TAK has to reserve about 5 bytes for each seek point in the seek table, which facilitates fast seeking on playback. By default one seek point is created per 1 second of audio data. If the audio length is not known in advance (that's when you have to specify the -ihs switch), the seek table size can not be exactly calculated. Again some space has to be reserved which in the end may be too big or too small.

By default a seek table for 10 minutes is beeing created. Because it requires very little space and TAK can also compress it to cope with longer files,  the default setting is fine for audio files with a duration of about 1 to 80 minutes.

If you are dealing with very short files (less than 1 minute), you may use the set-seek-table-size option to set the seek table size to the minimum:
Code: [Select]
takc -e -ihs -sts3 - Outfile

reserves space for a seek table containing seek points for 3 minutes of audio data.

If you are dealing with very long files (more than about 80 minutes), you are advised to increase the seek table size. It should never be less than about 1/8 of the audio duration, otherwise seeking may get very slow.

Some example: For 300 minutes of audio data you should manually set the seek table size to 300 / 8 = 38 minutes:
Code: [Select]
takc -e -ihs -sts38 - Outfile

I hope this is better/more clear.

Thomas

Reply #27
Not to create work, but I wonder how much would be involved in the log file reporting encoding time as a factor of playback time.  %02 - whatever

I am not sure, what you mean. The log file already contains the encoding rate defined as a multiple of the realtime/audio duration. Add two zeros and you have it in percent...

the pipes work only in one-way direction, right ?

I am not sure if i understand you right, but currently it is not possible to simultaneously read (the data to compress) and write ( the compressed data) from/to a pipe.

Thomas

Reply #28
I think the question was more whether TAK could read from STDIN (encoding) but not write to STDOUT (decoding).
I'm on a horse.

Reply #29
I believe it can write to STDOUT already, or at least it seems that way when I transcode from TAK to MP3 in Foobar2000. It just transcodes directly between the two for me.

Reply #30
sorry, i meant exactly that, simultaneous use of both stdin and stdout, and it was kind of 'negative' question
(and foobar2000 here is another story)
thanks for the answer.

Reply #31
Thanks for all the encouraging words! They are very much appreciated.

I intend to release the final version on thursday or friday. If you have found any bugs in the beta, please tell me now.

So far it looks as if there will be only modification for the final release:

- Change the default seek table size for pipe encoding with the -ihs switch applied to 10 minutes.

Thanks for testing!

Thomas

Reply #32
I believe it can write to STDOUT already, or at least it seems that way when I transcode from TAK to MP3 in Foobar2000. It just transcodes directly between the two for me.
As Thomas has already indicated, takc does not decode to stdout, regardless...

Great work Thomas! 

Reply #33
Is "ihs" syntax could cause tak file have no bit identically in pipe encoding?
I think that syntax mean that encoder will generate a track durations data(samples) and not to care about the source file's track durations data. Than original wave file's track duration's data will not the same to that encoded tak file.

Reply #34
Is "ihs" syntax could cause tak file have no bit identically in pipe encoding?
No.  It is for seeking purposes.

Reply #35
im confused about how to get the files to play in foobar. i encoded some files to tak using "-e -ihs -pMax - %d" and that worked fine, but foobar wont play the files. i tried putting the tak_deco_lib.dll in the components folder, and when that didn't work i placed the DLL in the foobar folder and it still didn't work. what am i doing wrong?

Reply #36
im confused about how to get the files to play in foobar. i encoded some files to tak using "-e -ihs -pMax - %d" and that worked fine, but foobar wont play the files. i tried putting the tak_deco_lib.dll in the components folder, and when that didn't work i placed the DLL in the foobar folder and it still didn't work. what am i doing wrong?

You need to put the tak_deco_lib.dll in foobar folder, and put Foosion's TAK plugin in the components plugin. (the tak deco lib that comes with foosion's zip file is older than the one linked here).

Reply #37
ok, i got it working, thanks!

Reply #38
The only threshold right now to go over to TAK completely is the support, when can we expect Linux support ?

Reply #39
What's the default/recommended setting for the frame size limit?  Also, I'm wondering what the recommended command-line setting now when using wapet.exe?  Any switch that needs to be added for pipe-encoding or something?

Reply #40
What's the default/recommended setting for the frame size limit?

That's easy: Please don't touch it...

From the readme:

"There is only one situation where you are adviced to change the frame size limit: If you want to encode files generated by the high quality LossyWav- preprocessor, Tak's frame size has to match the preprocessors frame size (usually 512 samples)."

Thomas

Reply #41
That's easy: Please don't touch it...

From the readme:

"There is only one situation where you are adviced to change the frame size limit: If you want to encode files generated by the high quality LossyWav- preprocessor, Tak's frame size has to match the preprocessors frame size (usually 512 samples)."

Thomas

Yeah, I got that, it's just that in the example picture you included, it's set at 4096, whereas my default is at 8192.