Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Burning .VCD files (Virtua Drive) (Read 6552 times) previous topic - next topic

Burning .VCD files (Virtua Drive)

Hello,

Long time back, I had bought the Half Life game.I saved the .vcd file (image) created by Virtua drive on my hard drive for faster access to the files. Now I want to burn this to a CD. Directly copying files and burning a new CD doesnt help because the Half Life CD is copy protected. The biggest problem is that my original CD has become corrupted. SO the only resource left is the .vcd image I have. The game works perfectly using the Virtua Drive software (unfortunately it is shareware) Not that I dont wanna buy it, but I dont want to waste hard disk space either.

Is there any software that can burn .vcd files ?

-experttech.
There are only 10 types of people on this earth - those who know binary and those who don't.

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Reply #1
hm... can you get clonecd to rip the cd?

Reply #2
hm... can you get clonecd to rip the cd?

Tried that too...No way, the CD seems to be too damaged. I never knew CDs could get damaged so soon (about a lil more than a year)  The sad part is that I didnt have a CD writer then and hence couldnt back it up anyway....
There are only 10 types of people on this earth - those who know binary and those who don't.

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Reply #3
I meant if you can rip the virtual cd?
inset it like when you play it and try to get clonecd to rip it if thats possible.
anyhow: I you sure it's damaged or are clonecd just reporting many errors? this could be part of the protection.

Reply #4
Tried that too...CloneCD ( even other cd burning s/w ) does not recognize the 'Virtual Drive' as a CDROM drive - thats the problem.

The game runs perfectly fine when i load the 'Virtual CD' - But when I copy the files to another folder and burn a new CD - it gives a copy-protection error (Please insert Half Life CD) :mad:

So I dont know how to get this thingy fixed.

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Reply #5
please anwer my question then: is the cd visually damaged or is it just because clonecd reports errors?

Reply #6
  you sure it's damaged or are clonecd just reporting many errors? this could be part of the protection

Im sure that its damaged:

- Its scratched (quite a lot)
- It doesnt play normally on my CDROM drive
- Ive tried all 'recovery' methods in vain

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Reply #7
ok......thinking.....

Reply #8
You may try FCD2ISO:
http://www.peregate.com/anvil/fcd2iso.html

I don't know if this may help, 'cause they may be some differencies between FCD & VCD Virtual CDROM images. Just remember to copy the image-file first, so it doesn't get lost ...

Reply #9
OT

In an ideal world you would get a replacement CD from your vendor.
You bought a licence to use the software, you did not pay for the physical CD on which the data was recorded.
Sadly we do not live in an ideal world...

Reply #10
Originally posted by experttech

Tried that too...No way, the CD seems to be too damaged. I never knew CDs could get damaged so soon (about a lil more than a year)  The sad part is that I didnt have a CD writer then and hence couldnt back it up anyway....

VCD's have very little in the way of error correction, which is why they can hold 800 megs on a 700 meg cd.

You can easily re-surface the disc though. Radially wetsand with 2500 grit emery paper then buff with felt. Works every time for me.

Clone cd will then image it for you NP.

Reply #11
Originally posted by Hanky
OT

In an ideal world you would get a replacement CD from your vendor.
You bought a licence to use the software, you did not pay for the physical CD on which the data was recorded.
Sadly we do not live in an ideal world...

Completely agree. What the 'license' thingy has done is more harm than good.

This problem wouldnt have come if I had downloaded an .iso from a P2P sharing network  - No wonder piracy rulez!

maciey, I'll try out the iso converter - lets hope it works.

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Reply #12
since you said you are using Virtual Drive with .vcd ending i am asumming that you are using the one from Farstone.

Which version are you using then, isn't there a function that convert it to .iso inside the program. Then you can trying mounting the .iso file with deamon tools and see if it works.

Or, you could back up the .vcd file ( just copy and paste it on to some where else ) and convert it to iso with WinISO.

Reply #13
As far as I know ISO will not be able to handle the copy protection.

Reply #14
it is still worth trying out. only take a few min.

Reply #15
Originally posted by iwod
Or, you could back up the .vcd file ( just copy and paste it on to some where else ) and convert it to iso with WinISO.

WinISO is Borkware! It ruined some PSX game .img I converted to .iso.