Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TAK 2.3.1 Beta 1 (Read 107614 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: TAK 2.3.1 Beta 1

Reply #25
Unicode support is not needed if your converting software uses ASCII compatible temporary filenames, and your player software handles file paths outside of the TAK decoder library.

Unicode was already reported to be a major issue to fix, since the whole library and encoder are made with Delphi, which apparently never got past the ANSI stage, so never supported Unicode API?

Reply #26
FreePascal Lazarus is said to be (somewhat) compatible to Delphi and is supporting Unicode. Maybe this could be an option for the future?
Unfortunately my experience with Pascal ended with Turbo Pascal 6/7 and its clone Virtual Pascal for OS/2 many years ago ...

Reply #27
Unicode support is not needed if your converting software uses ASCII compatible temporary filenames, and your player software handles file paths outside of the TAK decoder library.
While fb2k solves issue with lack of Unicode support for file name, it cant help if folder name contains Unicode characters. (well, actually it can, but only with using option "Convert to temporary location" in Advanced preferences which i not enabled by default)

Reply #28
Unicode was already reported to be a major issue to fix, since the whole library and encoder are made with Delphi, which apparently never got past the ANSI stage, so never supported Unicode API?

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,101386.msg838399.html#msg838399
Quote from: TBeck
Because my old Delphi 6 from 2001 provides very little (none for the GUI) unicode support and TAK uses some libraries i have written long ago which too don't support unicode.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,101386.msg886066.html#msg886066
While i intended to port TAK to C, this looks unrealistic at the moment. Therefore the next version still has to be written in Delphi. Since my Delphi 6 ist lacking a lot required for the planned features, i finally bought an upgrade to Delphi XE 7 (There was a time limited offer for users of very old versions).
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,101386.msg952703.html#msg952703
Delphi XE 7 has built in unicode support. But unfortunately now (3 years later) it does not seem to be a good option for future TAK development. Embarcadero just wrote me, that they will no longer provide upgrade options for older versions. You have to subscribe to a permanent and costly update. For my purposes that's a killer... Last time i looked for a free version, it did not support 64 bit.

Therefore the planned step-wise switch to Lazarus. I wanted to start this as soon as possible to avoid the feeling of wasting time on an inadequate (because too costly) development tool. This obviously changed priorities.

Reply #29
As already noted above, there is FreePascal + Lazarus, supporting both Unicode and 64bit. Switching shoudn't be hard for a project of TAKs size (for example TotalCommander, which is a full blown file manager orders of magnitude more complex did such a switch for its 64bit version while still keeping the source compatible with Delphi for 32bit).

Reply #30
TAK uses a royal shedload of inline assembly.

Reply #31
SSE/MMX? Would be better to use something like Xbyak from a C++ file for ASM optimizations.

Reply #32
Huge speed boost