Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 and Replaygain confusion. (Read 3384 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 and Replaygain confusion.

First: Sorry for my poor English.
I have completed ripping around 500 CD's to MP3 VBR V1.
It sounds fine, I have new MP3 player (Emgeton E5 Cult 1G)
I have this big problem: I applied replaygain to whole files by MP3 Gain. I selected to apply max no-clip gain for maximizing loudness for MP3 player, and remove clipping.  Simultaneously I want to play at the same loudness on PC. Those information written by MP3 gain are visible only in Foobar 2000, but not in Winamp, which is my default player. What happened? Winamp cannot play these files at the same loudness. I found that Winamp has function like Foobar, calculate replay gain. I must scan all my files separately in both players. Besides, Winamp cannot do batch calculating of replaygain, I have to save to each album tags separately. Please, tell me, what I do wrong. Why I must scan all files three times for correct playback in all players? Thank you.

Reply #2
I haven't used winamp in years, so I'm not sure what exactly is going on with tagging there.  However, foobar defaults to writing replaygain tags in apev2 format.  Winamp may be looking for replaygain info from id3v2 tags.  I recently experienced a similar problem because I use the rockbox firmware on my ipod, and rockbox only reads replaygain from mp3's via id3v2 tags.  I had to force foobar (in "advanced" settings) to write id3v2 tags by default for mp3s and then use the "rewrite tags" option in tagging for all my mp3s in order to get rockbox working with replaygain :/

Reply #3
I think foobar has defaulted to ID3v2 for a while now.

Reply #4
I think foobar has defaulted to ID3v2 for a while now.

Well, I don't know about you, but when I started using v0.9 I can tell you that what I installed defaulted to "APE + ID3v1" for MP3 tag writing.  I understand why defaulting to APE would be beneficial, but considering how low its compatibility is, it sure gave me a headache for a bit.

Also, if you look at the post you linked to you will noticed:

# Supports ID3v2 and APE tags
# Can display ID3v2/APE tag specific data in titles (%a ~ %e)

Which would be why Winamp with said plug-in could read foobar generated replaygain tags.

Reply #5
Foobar2000 writes the ReplayGain tags into the format that's already present. If it's ID3v2, they're written there, otherwise APEv2 will be the one to hold them. The default Winamp MPEG plug-in doesn't support APEv2 (most other applications don't do so as well), since it's still very uncommon for MP3, hence it's advisable to convert these tags to ID3v2. In foobar2000 you just have to right-click the files, choose "Tagging" in the menu and go for "MP3 Tag Types...". Uncheck everything except ID3v2 there, this will make foobar2000 convert the whole metadata. Of course you can also leave ID3v1 checked, though every application and hardware device I'm aware of also supports ID3v2.3 in the ISO 8859-1 format these days. Note that foobar2000 writes ID3v2.4 UTF-8 by default, make sure its compatibility mode is enabled to write the more widely supported ID3v2.3 UTF-16 instead.

Reply #6
The MAD plugin works very well. These APEv.2 tag wrote MP3 Gain to my files. Now I have all raplaigained twice, both APEv.2 and ID3v2 adittionaly writen by winamp. I hope this is the end solution.
Thank you all  .