Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Secure Ripper Test (part 2 concise results) (Read 143948 times) previous topic - next topic

Secure Ripper Test (part 2 concise results)

Reply #25
spoon what kind of SECURE settings for the secure mode would you recommend?  like minimum re reads 10 max 16? pass on 8?

thanks!

Reply #26
Depends on your drive, for a good drive which implements c2 I would use 1 minimum ultra pass, finishing on 1 clean pass.

A poor drive without C2 then have a relatively high number of ultra passes (min 6, finish after 3, max 10 or 16).

Drives in the middle adjust accordingly.

Reply #27
Well I gotta give this program some props. There are a few CD's in my collection that never ripped quite right in EAC. They would hang and never rip... no matter how long I left it, even in burst mode. All of a sudden I give this thing a shot and BAM! perfect rips. Keep up the good work. Can't wait for the final release. I'll be one of the guys switching from EAC.

Reply #28
I'm also interested in this especially if and when it supports Accuraterip with ripping to a single file instead of tracks.

Reply #29
why not rip to individual files?

Reply #31
why not rip to individual files?
...for creating "perfect" archives of CDs

Regardless of HTOA or anything else, this can be accomplished just as completely through the ripping of individual files.

EDIT: (Provided your hardware and software allows for the extraction of HTOA.)

Reply #32
Maybe I've over looked this some where but is there a proposed release date on this ripper yet? Or is it still too early to say when? And by release I mean NON-alpha versions. Something considered stable.

Reply #33
Full release should be end of this year, betas when the suite is complete (so the CD Ripper could be finished but it still be in an alpha). No one has reported a single crash with R12 yet, so it seems very stable despite being an alpha.

Reply #34
Ya,

The program seems to be pretty rock solid from what I've seen. I personally haven't had any crashes with it so far either. I just can't wait to use external encoders with it. You do plan on doing that right?

Reply #35
There is the CLI encoder for it, that will work with any external compressor.

Reply #36
let me see if I understand this right. I've got a pretty good C2 capable drive

Pass 1 reads the cd checks for C2 errors

Then Ultra Secure mode makes additional passes to flag any errors that were missed.

Now the "end after clean passes" i'm a little confused about. Does the ripper end the ultra-secure ripping after "x" number of passes where no new errors are found?

If so, I like progress of the ripper so far

I will say myself though, it's not perfectly stable, the cd ripper gives stange errors with my usb cd-rom and if i change from the default controls to aspi, it just locks up completely

One more thing i'd like to know is how many re-reads would be recommended...i see you tested using 48, but the default is now 34. Most likely though, I'll start at a higher number and just adjust until the ripping speed of my more scracthed cds becomes optimal

Reply #37
>Does the ripper end the ultra-secure ripping after "x" number of
> passes where no new errors are found?

Yes as long as it satisfies the minimum value set.

Which Windows version are you using?

There is an issue with high number of re-reads (if no c2 is used) that is if you did 1000, there is a very high chance of 10 matching even though those that match are errors (on one of the obscure drives I tested this was a real problem, it needed a relatively low 34 value to detect errors as errors).

Reply #38
Well the issue I'm having doesn't really have to do with the ripping stage, it's the program in general

it's a Lite-On LTR-24102B in a USB enclosure, my interal LG drive works fine

using scsi pass through, it'll give me an error about not being able to read the cd when i rip in burst mode. When I try to detect the cache for secure mode, it finds the cache, but when it tries to test the size of the cash it keeps saying there's no cd in the drive.

Now if i switch to Nero ASPI, it rips in burst mode fine, but once again, when I try to detect the cache (I know this drive caches for a fact) it sees the cache but the program completely locks up upon detecing the cache size.

Reply #39
It is almost certainly poorly written drivers / chipset of usb enclosure.

Reply #40
It is a pretty cheap enclosure, I'll just have to install it back into my old desktop and try it from there.

Reply #41
anyone have a plextor 708a and are getting c2 error reports with dbbpoweramps detector?

mine is not getting any and i would like to make sure its just my drive...

don't know whether to hope it is or isn'  t!

Reply #42
There will be a new version of CD Ripper soon that uses readcd12 0xBE rather than Read CD MSF (this is still used if a drive has a negative offset correction so that is can read into the lead in, 0xBE cannot read negative into the lead in), this thread has proven some drives have problems returning C2 error pointers (athlough a px708a is not one of them). We are diagnosing the missing c2 from your plextor on dbpoweramps forum.

Reply #43
If anyone else has a Plextor px708a - does the C2 detect work on your system (options >> secure settings >> detect c2 pointers)?

Reply #44
what are the differences between how dbpoweramp and eac call for the c2 erros? or between cdspeed as well

Reply #45
There is an issue with high number of re-reads (if no c2 is used) that is if you did 1000, there is a very high chance of 10 matching even though those that match are errors (on one of the obscure drives I tested this was a real problem, it needed a relatively low 34 value to detect errors as errors).

This problem only occurs without C2? So in the case that all my drives support C2, I could use any number of re-reads, even over 1000 if I so desire (even though I won't go that high), and not risk it incorrectly reading errors?

Reply #47
If anyone else has a Plextor px708a - does the C2 detect work on your system (options >> secure settings >> detect c2 pointers)?

C2 detection worked OK with my PX708A.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #48
Found the problem, only the first 5 tracks were being used for C2 detection (in the detection routine only, not ripper). Next alpha will fix.

Reply #49
In the first hour of use dBpowerAmp Music Converter has crashed on me twice. Once opening the Options window and the other whilst trying to figure how to change the Artist name for a various Artist CD (never did figure that out  ).
If it helps:
Faulting application cdgrab.exe, version 12.0.0.2, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.1830, fault address 0x00020dce.

This is a fairly fresh XPPro 64 installation. AMD64 3800+ 1 GB RAM.
daefeatures.co.uk