Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC - CRC mismatch between two copies of the same disc (Read 2005 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC - CRC mismatch between two copies of the same disc

Hello, I have a few doubles of some of CDs and while experimenting I came to notice a mismatch between two different copies of the same printing of a CD. I'm pretty certain that both are legit and not bootlegs as both the CD cases and the physical discs feature the correct copyright information and catalog number. In fact the one and only difference I could find was the small text around the inner rim circle part on the back. Interestingly while trying this with other different CDs duplicates I owned I had one pair which were 100% the same and a different pair where they were all the same except for the the last track for some odd reason, even stranger accurate rip didn't say anything about it not being verifiable despite this discrepancy between the two.

Anyway, as I said the one and only difference on the CDs in question was the small text on the back rim. My original copy has "DIDX-091846 1 IFPI328" while my second copy had "52372 (the same as the catalog number) 1N Y IFPIL250" There's also a 'sequel' CD to this one which I also have two of, both of which had "DIDX-095509 1 IFPI327" I'm not the original owner of any of these four so it's hard for me to discern any other possible variable, though my first copy of the CD in question did come with a little certificate slip thing from the original company, one of those fill in 4 CDs get one free sort of things. However when comparing the small back text with the few other CDs I own by the same company they feature numbers that coincide with the catalog number such as the 2nd copy I own does. Regardless with all this said I can't for the life of me think of why one would work but not the other, especially when the original disc I owned worked fine on my old laptop when I ripped it but now on my new computer where I ripped the 2nd copy first, my original copy is no longer viewed as accurate because the CRC don't match between the two I own.

Here are the logs.
http://pastebin.com/dGR6rWnD
http://pastebin.com/vRN2HJEr

Another strange thing I noticed was the rip from my original CD was somewhat larger than the rip I did for my 2nd copy, despite them featuring the same tags and such which is also a bit strange to me. And when I say that I mean just the audio files themselves since I'm aware that cue sometimes varies between discs and the log is always going to be a little bit different each time.
http://i.imgur.com/rXE3jMu.png

I'm assuming it's not really important but this is the CD in question http://vgmdb.net/album/18921 and this is the sequel CD I mentioned before http://vgmdb.net/album/14353 All 4 of which are the U.S. printing. I'm really hoping someone more knowledgeable with these then I can think of an explanation make some sense of this, because I'm completely stumped.

Re: EAC - CRC mismatch between two copies of the same disc

Reply #1
It's likely a different pressing with a different master disc.  If they were the same, the rim number on the disc would also be the same.  You could just have a different disc that was in fact made in a different factory or just a reissue among a number of other things.  Maybe you have a revision of something that was quietly changed for unknown reasons.

I have games with the same packaging for video game consoles but have different title screens and fixed glitches on one copy but the other one was slightly different (more glitches and different title screen) when booted and the RIM numbers were the only thing different about the disc, no clues on the package whatsoever.  A silent revision basically.

Both those discs are likely fine.

Reply #2
I see, thanks for letting me know, that's a bit of a relief even if it is still quite strange. Is there anyway I can get accurate rip to view it properly? the one I used first was actually the 2nd copy I had which is among the handful of duplicates I own that I was planning to eventually sell or give away, hence it be a pain if I ever needed to re-rip it as it would say it couldn't be verified.

Alternatively is there a way to outright reset EAC? I know that if I uninstall it and reinstall it it'll still retain some data such as accurate rip and Cuetools. I found a program that gets rid of the accurate rip data but nothing for Cuetools. I figure if I'm going to start fresh I may as well do it proper, however if that's not possible I suppose I'll just settle for restarting Accurate Rip. 

Reply #3
If it ripped fine (no sync errors), then it's fine.  The other thing is that accuraterip should've submitted your results if you used the right settings for EAC.

I use secure mode and don't worry about the accuraterip database as I figure my CDs will likely have a different offset or pressing compared to ones in the database.  I make sure the offset in the drive is correct using accuraterip (I know which CDs I have I can actually use for this) and after that pretty much ignore it.  Secure mode is not recommended if you care about your drive's lifespan and it caches audio data as it will shorten it's life considerably.

Reply #4
Is there anyway I can get accurate rip to view it properly?
The AccurateRip plugin is working properly. It is just limited to verifying against a single pressing.
You have a pressing that is not yet in the AccurateRip database. You can't fix EAC to say that it is.

The CUETools DB Plugin results say both rips are the same. Same CTDB TOCID, same status. The CUETools database stores all pressings of the same CD together and adjusts for the pressing offset when verifying the rip.

Edit: You could try CUETools or PerfectTUNES to verify the rip against a different pressing in AccurateRip.
korth

Reply #6
Unfortunately no. The different track lengths would change the TOCID. It would not be recognized as the same CD.
korth

Reply #7
The strange thing about it all is I remember ripping the other CD on my labtop and accurate rip accepted it, so does that mean it's only not accepting this one on this computer because I used the alternative CD in EAC first for this computer?