Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bypass audio CD protections with a felt tip pen or a Post-It (Read 9345 times) previous topic - next topic

Bypass audio CD protections with a felt tip pen or a Post-It

Reply #1
Years of research and development destroyed by a marker. That is too funny. Good tip, though!

Reply #2
I checked it out with Babelfish German to English(hilarious "translation," but good enough to figure out).  Looks very simple, just cover the data track portion (outer portion of the disk) with a post-it note, or make some of it unreadable using a felt tip marker.  The article stated it won't fool "Mediacloq" but works with just about everything else.

Reply #3
Hmm read about this yesterday!  But isn't this method a new angle on the old? In the old one you use pieces of paper to block the data portion of the CD. Although using the felt marker method is better cause you won't have the paper flying off in your CD drive. But is this really necessary? A certain CD duplicator software lets your read the first session of a CD, so then the resulting copy is copyable. Which CD program I will let you guys find out don't want to get into trouble but it got something to do with a famous "Dolly" !

Cheers
AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Reply #4
Originally posted by fewtch
I checked it out with Babelfish German to English(hilarious "translation," but good enough to figure out).  Looks very simple, just cover the data track portion (outer portion of the disk) with a post-it note, or make some of it unreadable using a felt tip marker. 

No no no! Blame Babelfish for this one. They say *NOT* to use the Post-It things, because they might get loose and damage the drive. They say, a good alternative to the post-it method is the "Stabilo OHPen Non-Permanent medium" pen.

Reply #5
Oh OK, thanks for the correction.  Not that I'd ever buy a copy protected CD (probably newer music I'm not interested in), but if it ever comes up it's good to be prepared...

Reply #6
I imagine you could also use a small piece of black electrical tape. Wouldn't come off and it wouldn't be as devistating if you screwed up (peel it off and start over).

Reply #7
So sad for these poor audio protection companies, they are already losing money...

TTR Technologies Reports First-quarter Loss

Reply #8
This one is rather old. But I would only do this as last resort. Painting your CDs shouldn't be too good. Better you have the right equipment to remove the protection. But the best option would be not to buy copy protected...not CDs....whatchacallit

Reply #9
I tried the tape method last night on my copy-protected Milk Inc. - Walk On Water CD-maxi.  I stuck a small piece of thin masking tape over the second session of the disc, and it seemed to help... at least to an extent.

My Lite-On LTD-163D drive now reads the disc much quicker and reports it as having one session with 9 tracks -- which is basically missing only the protection found in the second session. However, my drive still cannot play back or rip any of the tracks.

My iRiver SlimX, on the other hand, is now able to play back the copy-protected CD with the exception of track 1, which it just will NOT read, for some strange reason. The tape method didn't completely remove the protection as well as I had hoped for, but it's better than before, at least.

Reply #10
Originally posted by AgentMil
Hmm read about this yesterday!  But isn't this method a new angle on the old? !

yup...

this is very familiar with the oldschool DJ method
of moving or set point labels on a record..

thus.. maybe there is a background..

Reply #11
Hello!

Recently I bought Dj Networx vol. 13 (from Sony Music) which was copy protected with key2audio and both of my drives (cdrw & dvd) couldn't rip it. After I used a black permanent marker pen to cover the data track at the outer end of the cd (as instructed) it it ripped without errors at the hands of EAC. The data track doesn't need to be covered completely, just be careful that you don't cover the audio part. I wish the industry wouldn't do this kind of foul play...

Markus
Team musepack (MPC) & REX

Reply #12
Just to be sure- you mean the very OUTER edge of the cd- shiny edge- not  the inner section? Sorry for such a dumb question- just want to be sure even I understand- thanks- cadabra3 :confused:

Reply #13
It refers to the outer section, not the very outer edge. 

On the disk (if protected with key2audio) you'll see two tracks, a large inner track and smaller outer track.  Marker goes across the smaller outer track on top of the data.  If unsure, use a pen with washable ink, or thin electrical tape.

BTW, I haven't heard of many key2audio protected CD's in the USA.  RIAA is still using Europe as the major test market for this crap.

Reply #14
Today's news from Sony (on german http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/lab-26.05.02-001/):

The visible line between the audio and the data track in Key2Audio, where people applied the "marker-trick", will be made invisible in an upcoming version of that copy protection. It will look like a normal CD, not leaving any clue on where to draw the line with the marker.

Reply #15
I would like to know if the boundry is only no longer visible (meaning, they just filled up the gap with dummy data), or they moved the data track closer to the audio part (which would make it harder). Either way, I think it is still overcomeable. Just work your way in from the outside. If you use a non permanent marker or the tape method, the risk is minimal. If you cover too much, you won't be able to rip the last track properly. The other tracks should rip fine. I hope having a Plextor drive will save me the voodoo though.

Reply #16
Thanks fewtch and everyone else- I finally understand- and now, they are going to change it. Reason I asked, was a friend in England has been having more and more trouble ripping discs and asked me about it (better to ask someone who has knowledge). I referred him to HydrogenAudio for future information. Still, I figure anything in Europe now, will be here in the U.S. soon enough. Thanks again- (trying to catch up) -cadabra3

Reply #17
i ripped a copy of the 'spider-man' film soundtrack last nite.  no idea what copy protection it's got but i just fired up eac and hit the mp3 button and away it went!

no markers, no stickers or anything...

all this copy protection lark is a complete waste of time as far as i can see.
Dan

Reply #18
Originally posted by danbee
i ripped a copy of the 'spider-man' film soundtrack last nite.  no idea what copy protection it's got but i just fired up eac and hit the mp3 button and away it went!

no markers, no stickers or anything...

all this copy protection lark is a complete waste of time as far as i can see.

Ummm yeah, for CD's that aren't copy protected, I suppose it would be!

Reply #19
Newbie guide to defeating CD copy-prevention. Courtesy of yours truly. Link here

Reply #20
This information is for educational purposes only, and it is NOT the intention of the author that you act on this information.

LOL!!