Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME and ipod shuffle (Read 12640 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME and ipod shuffle

Reply #25
I can however use -V 4 --vbr-new in lame v 3.97b2 executable with easy cd-da extractor (telling it to send to external encoder) and it tags the songs for me.  Would I be better off just using the command line?

Absolutely - using the command line option will ensure you're getting exactly what you want.

LAME and ipod shuffle

Reply #26
Thanks  for all the advice!
I'm not sure which -V setting I'm going to use yet..but I'll be sure to use lame 3.97b2 executable.
Thanks for all your help

One last question.
In Easy CD-DA Extractor I told it to use external encoder.  I pointed it to where I had extracted my lame encoder executable file and it had this string:
--tt <Title> --ta <Artist> --tl <Album> --ty <Year> --tc <Comment> --tn <Number> --tg <Genre> <Source> <Destination>.mp3

I didn't see any command lines for encoding the actual mp3 so I made some changes:
-V 3 --vbr-new --tt <Title> --ta <Artist> --tl <Album> --ty <Year> --tc <Comment> --tn <Number> --tg <Genre> <Source> <Destination>.mp3

Does this look ok?

BTW after some careful listening I think I'm going to use -V 3 quality setting.

One last question:

I was reading the recommended lame settings pinned at the top of this mp3 forum, and it says to recommend using vbr new method, but states that this new vbr setting can produce artifacts which aren't present in the old vbr method.  But still recommends the new vbr method.  Well if the old vbr doesnt have these artifacts, why not use the old method isntead?

Also what is the difference between new vbr, old vbr default vbr?  if someone could explain the differences between these I'd aprpeciate it.

Kevin

LAME and ipod shuffle

Reply #27
Because the new VBR method is twice as fast, and so far provides higher quality or lower bitrates with the same quality in more cases than it does lower quality.

LAME and ipod shuffle

Reply #28
Well I have one small issue I need to correct before I'm all set in ripping CDs using lame 3.97b2.

I notice when I use the executable, easy cd-da extractor rips the wav first and then sends it to the encoder, which wouldn't be so bad...but as it's encoding it starts to rip the next track to wav which drives me nuts.  I'm afraid I'm going to get glitches or something.

I thought I remember there being a way to use lame executable in order to rip the cd and encode on the fly (the way that some cd rippers use the lame_enc.dll to do this).

I tried looking in the html files in the lame zip file, but I'm not finding any such command..so it makes me wonder, does one exist?

Thanks,
I apologize for all the newbie questions..I just want to get things done right..so please ahve patience with me.

LAME and ipod shuffle

Reply #29
AstralStorm wrote:
>With -q 0, the best I can get is about 1x encoding speed and the files are
>really slightly higher quality (-V 6, ABXed)

I cannot find the thread documenting this remarkable achievement. Got the link ready?

LAME and ipod shuffle

Reply #30
KevinB52379: I'm not familiar with that program, but you can use Exact Audio Copy, which will, by default, encode after ripping is done if you use an external compressor.