Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [albumlist panel] How to ignore 'The' when sorting by artist? (Read 5610 times) previous topic - next topic

[albumlist panel] How to ignore 'The' when sorting by artist?

Any way to do this?!

Thx in advance
-foobar2000 + Burrrn + EAC
-HD 80Gb using High QualityVBR MP3s

Reply #1
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way to do this.
But you create a metadata called artistext (or whatever) and tag the artists without the 'the' word.
Then you can use this metadata for sort and the artist metadata for display in the playlist.

Another easy way?... anybody?

Reply #2
reference wiki

Code: [Select]
$if($strcmp($left(%artist%,4),The ),$right(%artist%,$sub($len(%artist%),4))', 'The,%artist%)

Use the code above in place of "%artist%" in your albumlist view.  Note, though, that album list panel sorts by whatever is displayed, so if you want it to ignore "The" while sorting, then you also have to tolerate that the display will also be "Band, The" instead of "The Band".

edit: fixed code tag

Reply #3
Well instead of sorting by %artist% you can sort by something like:

$ifequal($left($tolower(%artist%),4),the ,
$right(%artist%,$sub($len(%artist%),4)),
%artist%)

It's messy but it works. There are also several other messy approaches that have been discussed before.

Reply #4
reference wiki

Code: [Select]
$if($strcmp($left(%artist%,4),The ),$right(%artist%,$sub($len(%artist%),4))', 'The,%artist%)

Use the code above in place of "%artist%" in your albumlist view.  Note, though, that album list panel sorts by whatever is displayed, so if you want it to ignore "The" while sorting, then you also have to tolerate that the display will also be "Band, The" instead of "The Band".

edit: fixed code tag

Thanks dude! Exactly what I wanted, I've never seen the Foobar2000:Tips & Tricks session 
-foobar2000 + Burrrn + EAC
-HD 80Gb using High QualityVBR MP3s