Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 Playback is broken (Read 1537 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: MP3 Playback is broken

Reply #1
Try this on a copy of the file.

First, right click the file in a playlist>Utililities>Fix VBR MP3 Header. If that doesn't work, try right click>Utilities>Rebuild MP3 stream.

Reply #2
Try this on a copy of the file.

First, right click the file in a playlist>Utililities>Fix VBR MP3 Header.
Doesn't help (CBR 32 kbps)
If that doesn't work, try right click>Utilities>Rebuild MP3 stream.
Thank you, marc2003. As workaround rebuilding stream solves problem, but i think it's foobar bug. As i already said firefox, chrome play the file without any problem. MPC-HC too.

Reply #3
The problem seems to be the header, it's reporting a different duration from the actual duration. If you've got Perry's Raw ID3 Tag Viewer it will report a malformed tag entry...

Reply #4
You have 2 incorrectly appended files. Tag data was not removed from the source files before they were concatenated. Remove the APE tag to fix the stream. MP3GuessEnc can be used to pinpoint corruption to a specific offset.

First frame found at 126
sync error at 5764724(51%), frame number 55169
Resync : skipped 150 bytes.

http://i.imgur.com/eGwNhVg.png

I'm surprised that the player doesn't resync past junk data, as is common in mp3 players. It does resync when I replace the tag with some other data though, so foobar might have special handling for unexpected tags.

Reply #5
The problem seems to be the header, it's reporting a different duration from the actual duration. If you've got Perry's Raw ID3 Tag Viewer it will report a malformed tag entry...
Nothing special reported, just "Malformed tag detected!" for both original and "fixed" streams (see tag_view.png)
Digging with hex editor make me sence now.
diff1.png and diff2.png present only difference between 2 files.
diff1 contains legit header/tag or something foobar can handle without trouble.
diff2 contains much interesting info. Fixed stream contains all the same blocks except APE tag. Same tag i can find in the end of the both files, see tag_end_block.png
Seems, foobar use it as the end of the stream. I suppose, original stream has been produced after erroneous merging of 2 mp3 streams.

Reply #6
You have 2 incorrectly appended files. Tag data was not removed from the source files before they were concatenated. Remove the APE tag to fix the stream.
Aye aye, sir.

Reply #7
The LAME/Xing header, which reports the delay and padding, also reports the total length of the track. foobar2000 trusts this information in the tag, and will stop playback at the point it detects as the end of the track, regardless of if there is more MP3 data past that point.

Without this information, gapless encoding would not be possible for the MP3 format. Concatenating files together already voids this information anyway, so I guess if you can live with that, fine.