Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar-like video player? (Read 8899 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar-like video player?

Hey, everybody. I've been consistently frustrated in finding an intelligently-minimalist, modular video player with a good (or at the very least, existent) community. The closest I've come is the Fusion player (http://fusionmedia.org/), which I'm reasonably happy with, but I'm wondering what else is out there. I gave the 1337 player a shot, but my video card doesn't like DirectX 9 (neither do I, for that matter). What are people using that doesn't have the bloat typical of video players?

Reply #1
you should try M-Player Classic! It's pretty compact and very useful.
I love the moderators.

Reply #2
The right link to download M Player Classic is this
MPC: --quality 10 --xlevel (v. 1.15s) (archive/transcoding)
MP3:  LAME 3.96.1 --preset standard (daily listening/portable)

Reply #5
what about bsplayer? IMO best ever player

Reply #6
for me "mplayer2.exe" is the best one out there
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

Reply #7
M Player Classic looks like a good bet. Thanks! 

Reply #8
I only use ZoomPlayer.
It's feature rich without being bloated.

www.inmatrix.com

Reply #9
The problem/difference to fb2k is, that most of these players use DirectShow, so they should be equally fast/good looking etc. A mediaplayer which would use its own PlugIn system (with decoders from the ffmpeg project) would probably kick ass.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #10
The problem/difference to fb2k is, that most of these players use DirectShow, so they should be equally fast/good looking etc. A mediaplayer which would use its own PlugIn system (with decoders from the ffmpeg project) would probably kick ass.

I agree... but ATM, I haven't found a player like that. So I use MPC/ZoomPlayer for the time being.
Hard work might not kill you, but why take any chances?

Reply #11
Hmm, doesn't Zoom Player import msdxm.ocx? (aka the Media Player 6.x control)

Reply #12

I agree... but ATM, I haven't found a player like that. So I use MPC/ZoomPlayer for the time being.

The few players, which don't rely on DirectShow (for decoding), are ports of Linux players like VLC or MPlayer. They all use code from ffmpeg to some extend so speed/quality should not vary much.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #13
I haven't really tested many because zoomplayer has always worked so well for me. It's updated quite regularly as well.
Watch out where the huskies go,
Don't you eat that yellow snow

Reply #14
zoomplayer works for me.  I don't need anything fancy, though the aspect ratio tweaks are nice for the odd fucked divx or when I want to go to the trouble of changing my sony 27" into pseudo-16/9 mode.

Honestly most of the time I just use wmp 6.2.  Does what its supposed to do just fine.

Reply #15
The few players, which don't rely on DirectShow (for decoding), are ports of Linux players like VLC or MPlayer. They all use code from ffmpeg to some extend so speed/quality should not vary much.

Ahh, I had forgotten about VLC... I think I'll give it a second look and see if it suits my needs. Thanks for reminding me!
Hard work might not kill you, but why take any chances?

Reply #16
i only can say, that the best player under windows - i've ever seen, was the VLC (www.videolan.org) port for windows.

under linux there are three really good players, the mplayer (www.mplayerhq.hu), xine (xine.sf.net) and again the VLC (www.videolan.org)

that's all

mfg z421

Reply #17
The version of Media Player Classic linked to in one of the first posts is very old, new versions can be downloaded from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/
It's an excellent player, but I wouldn't compare it to Foobar2000, it hardly has any features to organize your collection or customize the player in any way. But if you just need something to play (video) files, then mplayerc is great.
It comes with a lot of filters built-in btw. I don't see the problem with DirectShow though, except perhaps for the inconvenience of having to install filters for the formats you want to decode (but that would be true for a custom plugin system too).

Reply #18
you must try pot player. pretty awesome

Reply #19
I've used KMPlayer and PotPlayer for years, I used to love them.

KMPlayer sold and it's full of ads. PotPlayer doesn't exit the Korean cage, some autoupdates reset everything back to Korean language and I don't want to use a software that doesn't even update properly. I mainly use and test for business as well, I like to use what I give to customers.

I've never liked VLC, it's too heavy for my use maybe. SPlayer is ok.

MPC-HC is the best one.