Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .ACT audio format (Read 12130 times) previous topic - next topic

.ACT audio format

Hi,

There is several mp3 flash players with recording functions, and several of them record in a unknown format with the extension .ACT. The only tool I saw which can convert this files to .WAV is in this url: http://www.geocities.com/sound_converter/ (I think there is more, but this seems to be the "standard" one)

As a linux user, I want to know if there is another tools for treating .ACT files in my O.S. And I want to know what kind of quality/compression can deliver this format, specifications, who developed it, etc.

Thanks in advance.

.ACT audio format

Reply #2
Stupid question, have you tried renaming to .mp3 or .wav? I had a player that simply renamed the extension to something else.

Kristian

.ACT audio format

Reply #3
Don´t know much about the format, but I have the cheap & popular "S1 MP3 Player" and also wondered what´s up with this ACT format. Quality is quite bad ( it´s 8kbps only!), but you can record much more time than using 32kbps IMA ADPCM.
I only know about the Sound Convert app that came with the player (Windows only i guess). This tool decodes ACT files to much bigger WAV files (foobar2000 says 128kbps PCM). The decoded WAV files are approximately 16 times the size of the original ACT (128kbps/8kbps=16).

It is kind of a useless format to me, unless you have a flash player with very little memory. I can record around 16 hours of audio encoded to 32kbps IMA ADPCM with a small 245MB player (256MB - system files=245MB).

Yesterday I had to use ACT because I didn´t want to delete a lot of important data I had on the player. I had free memory for only 13 minutes of 32kbps IMA ADPCM recordings, but for 8kbps ACT I had around 1 hour left.

.ACT audio format

Reply #4
Stupid question, have you tried renaming to .mp3 or .wav? I had a player that simply renamed the extension to something else.

Kristian
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=344109"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That´s not the kind of attitude one expects from a regular HA member.

In fact, renaming to mp3 or wav is completely useless.

.ACT audio format

Reply #5
Megaman, I think kritip was saying that his was a stupid question.

Clarification: I.e.: "have you tried renaming to .mp3 or .wav?" is a stupid question.
I'm on a horse.

.ACT audio format

Reply #6
@ Megaman -- Synthetic Soul was correct, i was mearly implying that my suggestion was a bit of a stupid one, not that Reztho was stupid

Only reason i suggested it was because it worked for me with an old cheap chinese flash player i had a while back, granted the file extension was different but i didn't think it hurt to mention it.

Kristian

.ACT audio format

Reply #7
@ Megaman -- Synthetic Soul was correct, i was mearly implying that my suggestion was a bit of a stupid one, not that Reztho was stupid

Only reason i suggested it was because it worked for me with an old cheap chinese flash player i had a while back, granted the file extension was different but i didn't think it hurt to mention it.

Kristian
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=344121"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, I misunderstood your post in a really "stupid" way  . Sometimes happens when posting in foreign language forums.

.ACT audio format

Reply #8
Thanks for the fast responses!

Yes, ACT is crap I know (because of the very low bitrate for sure), but I think it's very very rare than there is no software in Linux for treating those files. That format seems to be very common among cheap and non-really cheap mp3 flash players. And at least I don't want to refuse the possibility to record things in ACT (if I in need of, like Megaman did) because of the software.

I think I must try Wine with the Windows tools after all.

.ACT audio format

Reply #9
Greetings...

Does anyone know where an ACT to WAV convertor is on the web?

I tried to use Konvertor, and it didn't work...
Also, the JP's version is in chinese, and that programme didn't work either.

.ACT audio format

Reply #10
Can you upload some very small file anywhere? I want to look at it little bit closer.

.ACT audio format

Reply #11
Can you upload some very small file anywhere? I want to look at it little bit closer.

Contact me via email, and I'll send you a file...

What is looks like to me, when I drop it into a text editor is RIFF WAV format? I don't know.  At least that's what it says when I look at it.  I haven't tried fiddling with it, by changing it's .EXT.

John "Imagicka" Blackthorne
MSN: Imagicka @ hotmail    ICQ: 13682963
AOL: Imagicka  Yahoo: Imagicka23
GoogleTalk: Imagicka23 @ gmail

http://www.CajunNights.com
http://www.zephn.com/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi
http://www.enworld.org      http://rpol.net/

.ACT audio format

Reply #12
Rats. Now I have the same problem. I tried "Sound Convertor 2.0" it just doesn't work (complained of an unregistered OCX, tried downloading and registering the OCX and there's an error).

Any tips?

.ACT audio format

Reply #14
Thanks! I'll try 'em one-by-one and see if I can hit the jackpot

If I fail, well, there's always the souncard line-in...

.ACT audio format

Reply #15
anything work out for ya?

perhaps i can do some pruning

later