Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Secure Clock" DRM technology (Read 4366 times) previous topic - next topic

"Secure Clock" DRM technology

Don't forget to pay your bills or all of your music will blow up...

Microsoft DRM

Reply #1
Yes..  Maybe Microsoft's clients (online retailers) will be interested, but I don't think the end-users would buy much music in these conditions.

That's a very personal opinion, but I think the pleasure of owning something is very important. If you know it will be taken from you anyday, will you still have freedom of mind while listening to your music? 

The answer is not easy, it seems.

Reply #2
I think I'll stick to my Audio CDs for a very long time, thank you very much

Reply #3
I would rather buy an actual CD then subscirbe to one of these services (especally a music service offered by M$)

Personally, I don't like the idea of being locked into one player and running the risk of loosing music in my collection just becasue my subscirption expired.

I would rather stick with a format like Vorbis, (to which I encode all of my CD rips.) and manage my music clollection the old fashioned way, minus the DRM.

Reply #4
DRMed music? Bahhhhhhhh, what a waste of GHz. 
Wasting precious CPU cycles into shitty rights management crap, which ends up slowing down the computer. Is that the way the computer industry is going?  .

Reply #5
The part that concerns me the most about DRM is that it would prevent me from playing music the way I use it, legally.  I can respect some of the copyright concerns, but many of the DRMs seem a little heavy handed for the real world.

For example, I have many CDs that are well over 10 years old.  IIRC iTunes, for example, only allows a maximum of two copies to different computers.  So given that I keep my music much longer than my PCs (I'm on my fourth in 10 years) I guess all of my music would expire in 5 years when I get PC #3 - or decide to transfer it to a media server, restore from backup, etc.

Another major problem with complex DRM schemes is that if customers begin downloading singles instead of albums, how can they really remember when/why each track expired, etc.?  With my CDs it is not a problem, they don't expire and I play them (or rather the ripped copies) whenever I want.  As in "oh, yeah, I have that song, let's listen to it.  WTF, it doesn't work?  Expired yesterday?"  And if I really liked the song but can't download it again (special mix/promotion, etc.), I'm SOL even though it is sitting on my hard drive?

And then there is the problem of format/OS obsolescence/changes and future support.  In 15 years will all the tracks I bought in 2004 still be supported?  Supported well?  Required to transcode to WMA21?  Can't switch to Linux? (oh wait, that's the idea isn't it...)

I don't have the answers but this doesn't get me too excited to buy some WMA downloads.
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #6
when i use kazaa, i refuse to even STEAL wma files.

what the shit makes them think i'm going to PAY for them?

(the fact that you can't access wma metadata from winamp ALONE is enough to kill the deal... and that's to say nothing of the inferior sound quality and drm)

Reply #7
IIRC iTunes, for example, only allows a maximum of two copies to different computers.  So given that I keep my music much longer than my PCs (I'm on my fourth in 10 years) I guess all of my music would expire in 5 years when I get PC #3 - or decide to transfer it to a media server, restore from backup, etc.

I think you misunderstood iTunes way of handling the songs.

You can use your downloaded songs on three authorized computers and if you get rid of one computer to get another you simply have to de-autorize it to put the authorization on another one.

You simply have to backup the music in case you need to restore on the same computer or on another one.

But for that to work in fact you must also keep the infos about your account on Apple's iTunes' server to be able to do an authorization.

Actual MS way is different if you have a non expiring song, AFAIK you have 2 files to backup, the music and the license key. (Can anyone confirm?) But it's WMA

Anyway DRM are always annoying because we need to rely on someone else and hope he doesn't vanish.

Reply #8
I think you misunderstood iTunes way of handling the songs.

You can use your downloaded songs on three authorized computers and if you get rid of one computer to get another you simply have to de-autorize it to put the authorization on another one.

You simply have to backup the music in case you need to restore on the same computer or on another one.

But for that to work in fact you must also keep the infos about your account on Apple's iTunes' server to be able to do an authorization.

Actual MS way is different if you have a non expiring song, AFAIK you have 2 files to backup, the music and the license key. (Can anyone confirm?) But it's WMA

Anyway DRM are always annoying because we need to rely on someone else and hope he doesn't vanish.

Thanks FrDakota - I did misunderstand iTunes.  Agree about the risk of the authorization holder disappearing or stopping support.
Was that a 1 or a 0?