Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SoX Help [moved from General Audio (TOS #6)] (Read 3410 times) previous topic - next topic

SoX Help [moved from General Audio (TOS #6)]

Hi, so I have some vinyl rips which are 24/192 and 24/96 and I want to get rid of them and preserve an "ok" version if i ever want to play with audio edition. I'm guessing 24 bit but which sample rate? I've been using SoX command line batch processing but honestly I don't even know if I'm using it correctly.

First off, I check if they have been normalized before with Audacity or iZotope (do the effect, if the waveform does not amplify then it is Normalized already) and then convert them to play on my mobile device and delete the converted files and preserve the original files, but since they are taking way too much space I want to keep a "Master" for further edit or transcode to other lossy formats.

What I'm asking is what parameters should I use in the command line? I've been reading that 24/48 is optimal. If that's the case, what effects should I use? I want to use "--norm" if it's not normalized (since they will be the final masters to me) and "stat -v" to amp max volume without clipping (or at least that's what I understood, correct me if I'm wrong), I also seen the rate effect which I will obviously will use but I'm wondering about bandpass, is 95 enough? I don't know, why the -b option exists then? I want to preserve most good data with no echo or whatever. Oh and I want to use the .bat file and not the foobar pluggin which don't have the options I want to use. So which settings should I use? What sample rate you recommend?

Thank you.

Re: SoX Help.

Reply #1
If already normalized, 44.1kHz and truncated to 16 bits is more than adequate.  Lots of luck trying to demonstrate otherwise with a proper ABX test.

Yes, this would be for the master.  Paranoia that the content needs more in order not to suffer audible problems arising from successive edits is just that.

People are welcome to prove me wrong with any content found on vinyl.

Re: SoX Help [moved from General Audio (TOS #6)]

Reply #2
First off, I check if they have been normalized before with Audacity or iZotope (do the effect, if the waveform does not amplify then it is Normalized already)...

...I want to use "--norm" if it's not normalized (since they will be the final masters to me) and "stat -v"..
Resampling can change the peaks so you may want to normalize again after resampling.    But there's really no reason to do it twice, so you can just normalize once after resampling.

stat  doesn't change anything.  It just reports information to you.

I also seen the rate effect which I will obviously will use but I'm wondering about bandpass, is 95 enough? I don't know, why the -b option exists then?
I don't know why you'd want to bandpass at all.   You might want to use a high-pass rumble & warp filter to remove any subsonic garbage. 

Reply #3
Resampling can change the peaks so you may want to normalize again after resampling.    But there's really no reason to do it twice, so you can just normalize once after resampling.
Just do it before discarding the last 8 useless significant bits when reducing the depth to 16-bit.

Reply #4
First off, I check if they have been normalized before with Audacity or iZotope (do the effect, if the waveform does not amplify then it is Normalized already)...

...I want to use "--norm" if it's not normalized (since they will be the final masters to me) and "stat -v"..

stat  doesn't change anything.  It just reports information to you.

I also seen the rate effect which I will obviously will use but I'm wondering about bandpass, is 95 enough? I don't know, why the -b option exists then?
I don't know why you'd want to bandpass at all.   You might want to use a high-pass rumble & warp filter to remove any subsonic garbage. 

well I asked because the default settings are b -95 for VHQ so that's why I want to know which are the correct settings to use for what I want.