Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hardware/Software considerations when ripping (Read 1355 times) previous topic - next topic

Hardware/Software considerations when ripping

Subsequent to my emigration from Windows world to Zorintopia;
Included in my baggage is a Windows Media player (12) – ripped .flac Folder.
It is a modest collection of roughly 140GB of .flac files.
WMP(12) had the most irritating habit of, when moving from one install to another, dumping Track 1 of albums to a large “unknown” folder.
The same happened when transferred to Linux (Zorin OS 17 – Ubuntu 22.04)
Exaile will be my music library/player
I must now engage in the arduous endevour to re-rip said;
Ripping software will be “Asunder”.
Rather than play “name that tune” with over 120 Track 1s in said “unkown” folder, it is hoped that an original rip will default to some order (will also be using MusicBrainz, Picard to lend a hand)
.flac rips compression will be 0 (zero): .flac is also preferred, regarding meta tagging.
The hardware (should this be relevant):
Lenovo P-520, Xeon W-2125, 16GB DDR4 (soon to be 64GB), 2@ M.2 nvme slots (2 Samsung 256GB nvme on-hand), 1 “Thunderbolt” port on mobo, 2 500GB Samsung 850EVO SSDs (or, 1 1TB Samsung 870QVO SSD), USB 3.2 (Gen 1) BD Optical Drive… Asus SE PCIe sound card (in 4x slot), via TOSLINK to Oehlbach D16064 DAC (I know, I know…), then Kenwood Basic C1 preamp to Kenwood Basic M1 (yes, the one with the extra SigmaDrive terminals, not simple DLD M1A), then, Tannoy 6P on my desk, as “near-field”… unfortunately, communal living in an apartment block denies me the freedom of “concert-level”(on my old EV SH-1502s :-( [snif]
To the Point:
2x 256GB nvme in RAID (0 or 1?) or, 2x 500GB SSDs? (RAID not mandatory… just a thought)
FWIW, the system boots from sda- 2TB SSD…
the dedicated drive(s) for the .flac collection will be set to “automount”, keeping it available for the player/library.
I only have the vaguest notion of what “Thunderbolt” is about.
(both 500GB SSDs in RAID configuration?)
(I will maintain a backup copy of the .flac collection, should a RAID 0 fail)
ALSO, some of my CDs are SACD (Doobie Brothers, “What were once vices…” CD from Japan)
I am interested to ripping, via Handbrake, the “Led Zeppelin Celebration Day” DVD audio tracks… as well as “Led Zeppelin – Kennedy Center Honors”, on Blue Ray.
After 66 years of sex,drugs and Rock ‘n Roll.. my hearing is no longer as sharp as it once was (nor are my teeth), but, what the hell… wenn schon, denn schon.
There’s gonna be a whole lotta rippin’ goin’ on… I do not produce/edit music… jus’ like good tunage.
Interested in useful pointers.

Re: Hardware/Software considerations when ripping

Reply #1
Exaile will be my music library/player

Why not use Foobar2000? ; because in my opinion there is simply not a Linux equivalent that matches that, at least to my knowledge.

Ripping software will be “Asunder”.

I know that's Linux software, but the last I knew one could use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) if setup with a older version of Wine (I think v4 series or older works (which is easy enough to do with PlayOnLinux) as v5 or newer does not) that can still see ones CD/DVD burners.

but I guess it depends on how picky one is with ripping CD's as I am more of the mindset as long as there is no obvious read errors, chances are it's close enough to a EAC etc rip as I can't imagine there would be any noticeable difference as long as there is no obvious read errors. so Asunder might be good enough in this regard. I was just toying with Asunder a moment ago (on my Linux Mint PC) and it does seem decent enough as it's default rips CD's faster, but there is a option to make it a bit more picky as the first rip went quickly and the second one after a certain point slowed down quite a bit in the ripping process etc.

.flac rips compression will be 0 (zero)

Why have compression 0? ; I would use the default of 5 or just max it out at 8 for the storage space savings. I can't imagine there is much, if any, reason to use 0 compression over default of 5 or maximum of 8 as you are just wasting hard drive space and if you got a large collection that will begin to waste quite a bit of space and there is no sound quality loss as FLAC is a lossless format.

even toying with Asunder a moment ago... it default to FLAC '5' and I see, at least based on my Linux Mint 21.x series (which is Ubuntu 22.04 LTS based), it's using FLAC v1.3.3 from Aug 4th 2019.
For music I suggest (using Foobar2000)... MP3 (LAME) @ V5 (130kbps). NOTE: using on AGPTEK-U3 as of Mar 18th 2021. I use 'fatsort' (on Linux) so MP3's are listed in proper order on AGPTEK-U3.

Reply #2
Correction:
Asus Xonar SE
"Wine": will not be using Microsoft products/services.
Compression 0 = speed: Regarding "space": I have specific reasons to have the .flac file collection on a dedicated drive... that space is mine to "waste".
Tried Foobar previously, did not care for it... overly complicated to arrange the display in a way that I prefer.
WMP was far more "intuitive", for this user.
thanks anyway..

Reply #3
If you can't get on with non-Windows alternatives, you'll just have to carry on using Windows.  There are several things I run back to Windows for, EAC being one of them.

As for Foobar2000, a little persistence pays off.  Better, surely, than just accepting a player with a fixed user interface?  And if you don't want to design your own UI, there are plenty of ready-rolled ones for you to try.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #4
zorintopia search brings up this thread so presumably you mean zorin os, aka some derivative of ubuntu. Fine.

You don't like wine. Fine.

You used windows media player. So you're not discerning except when you want to be. Fine.

If I were you I'd use a ripper that can use the accuraterip database (maybe whipper https://github.com/whipper-team/whipper maybe something else, there are many no doubt). That would be the discerning POV, but if you're happy with any old ripper then fine.

I use cmus for playback because it has a tui meaning it can work over ssh which is awesome. But you likely won't care about that, use rhythmbox for all i care that's probably what zorin os comes with and it isn't great but you know, it's fine.

Reply #6
Wasn't there a speed test of FLAC at the different compression settings on here somewhere? And I think the conclusion was, it doesn't really matter anymore. Thanks to Moore's law I guess.

Reply #7
Several in this thread: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123025.msg1029768.html#msg1029768
I am using a CPU benchmarked at slightly below 10 000 points (near the cheap end of this graph: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_value_available.html#xy_scatter_graph ), and yet -8pr7 encodes at 50x realtime. So if your ripping application starts encoding while ripping, that will hardly slow you down. Especially not if you can eject the CD and load the next without it aborting.

Decoding speed? Have a look: http://www.audiograaf.nl/losslesstest/revision%206/Average%20of%20CDDA%20sources.pdf