Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Length: How is your (lossless/all) ratio? (Read 6740 times) previous topic - next topic

Length: How is your (lossless/all) ratio?

Hi,

because I lost trust in nero aac a bit, and because now I have >1TB hard disk space in my computer, I more and more use lossless codecs (to be honest: tak only) and avoid lossy codecs. Makes me more flexible whenever I need a lossy file for whatever hardware player, no transcoding then... No need to re-rip. Ripping takes the most time here, my dvd player only reaches 2-3x speed in safe mode, terrible. I think it's just a matter of time and my audio media library will be almost completely lossless.

Currently my lossless files make exactly 30.2% LENGTH of all my music. Are you going the same route?

BTW, fb2k has an entry in the properties page, no need for you to calculate...

Encoding: lossy (69.8%); lossless (30.2%)

Best regards
MS

Reply #1
My ratio is

lossless (90.6%); lossy (9.4%)

EDIT: Avg. bitrate for lossless only: 619 kbps
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #2
lossless (76.8%); lossy (23.2%)

TAK (76.5%); Vorbis (15.0%); MP3 (8.2%); Monkey's Audio (0.3%)

I'm also really interest to see another lossless library average bitrate. Mine is 731 kbps.

Reply #3
lossy (96.0%); lossless (4.0%)

MP3 (94.0%); TAK (4.0%); AAC (1.2%); DTS (0.3%); Musepack (0.3%); Vorbis (0.2%)

@buktore

my lossless average bitrate is 800 kbps. (TAK -pmax)

Reply #4
Seems a bit lossy overall with my collection. This is from my foobar library with only mp3, flac and ogg in it.

Encoding : lossy (93.6%); lossless (6.4%)

Codec : MP3 (93.4%); FLAC (6.4%); Vorbis (0.1%)

Avg. Bitrate : 240 kbps (ALL)
Avg. Bitrate : 905 kbps (FLAC)
Sennheiser HD595 - Logitech Z5500 - SB XFi Xtreme Audio
FLAC -8

Reply #5
My lossless files are purely for archival purpose; there is a lot of overlap between my lossy and lossless files. All the music I actually listen to is lossy, and the size is kept at under 8gb so I can fit it on my ipod nano.

The breakdown: FLAC (41.3%); AAC (31.3%); MP3 (27.3%); WMA (0.1%)

Lossless Avg. Bitrate: 909kbps (FLAC)
Lossy Avg. Bitrate: 155kbps
Dissent!

Reply #6
Probably a "useless" reply but mine is currently 0%Lossless and 100% Lossy.

I used to have a library which was approx 10% Lossless and 90% Lossy (in terms of number of files- even though both had roughly the same size). IIRC, the average bitrate was near 800 kbps (using Tak pmax). I had to get rid of it because i was running out of space.

Reply #7
Mine:
8675 items
Duration: 3wk 2d 13:21:50.890
Avg. Bitrate: 551 kbps
Codec: MP3 (39.1%); FLAC (21.3%); Monkey's Audio (18.4%); WavPack (13.2%); Musepack (6.7%); Vorbis (0.9%); WMA (0.4%)
Encoding: lossless (53.0%); lossy (46.9%); hybrid (0.2%)
last.fm/user/boces

Reply #8
9690 files (this includes a few hundred 'filler' 4 seconds tracks on albums like NiN's Broken)

Codec: FLAC (100%)
Total Time: 765 hours
Total Size: 284.89 GB
Total Bitrate: 887kbps

Reply #9
Here are my results for my modest 48Gb collection of music:
Lossy: 65.8%; Lossless: 34.2%

Broken down by codec:
FLAC: 34.2%; LAME Mp3: 65.4%; aoTuV Vorbis: 0.4%

Average bitrate for lossless: 725 kbps
Average bitrate for lossy: 194 kbps

Reply #10
I'm way too paranoid....
I don't like mixing formats...
So it's 97.5% lossless, 2.5% lossy

tell you what... i don't even like mixing FLAC -5 with FLAC -8
everything has to be just perfect... each music file has [ ReplainGain | Tags | Album Art 500px | DVD Backup ]

It would be nice to have a little device to play the FLACs nicely, showing up the tags, showing up the ripping log, and displaying the Front/Back. Oh wait... I can't get more paranoid than this, can I?

Oh the filenames also follow a rule: words like "with, without, for, and, the, on, as, a" are not capitalized - always. (Within tags too)

Reply #11
I'm way too paranoid....

everything has to be just perfect... each music file has [ ReplainGain | Tags | Album Art 500px | DVD Backup ]

Which source do you use for your artwork? Itunes? Cover Paradies? Amazon??

Reply #12
The classical music lovers like me may have an advantage when it's about lossless compression ratios I think  One more reason why Deutsche Grammophons decision to offer mp3@cbr 320 was wrong.

Lossless files (tak only) from my classical folder:
Codec profile: TAK 5 max (56.5%); TAK 2 (29.2%); TAK normal (12.9%); TAK insane max (0.7%); TAK extra max (0.7%)
Size: 38.6GB (41 528 507 352 bytes)
Duration: 6d 19:49:47.030 (26009608037 samples)
Average bitrate: 563 kbps

My codec distribution: MP3 (57.1%); TAK (30.2%); AAC (9.9%); Vorbis (2.2%); Musepack (0.4%); MP2 (0.2%)

BTW I was expecting more "64 kb is enough" (or lame -V2) people

Reply #13
Which source do you use for your artwork? Itunes? Cover Paradies? Amazon??

I hunt them down in sites like freecovers.net, they usually come with almost 1000px, then I edit them and manipulate/correct glitches if there are any... what I don't find there, I find in google/images (a good source too)... and a few I would find in amazon.com, coz sometimes they have good scans (most of the time they don't)... a last resource would be fan sites with visual discographies... but this has proven a harder work than encoding files... perfection is a hassle.

I am thinking about scanning originals in PNG (lossless) format too...

The classical music lovers like me may have an advantage when it's about lossless compression ratios I think  One more reason why Deutsche Grammophons decision to offer mp3@cbr 320 was wrong.

I think they decided it because of MP3 popularity and because that's what "common knowledge people" know. I think it's unfortunate not one single DVD-Player is able to handle any lossless format (not even WAV) up to these days...

Reply #14
I think they decided it because of MP3 popularity and because that's what "common knowledge people" know. I think it's unfortunate not one single DVD-Player is able to handle any lossless format (not even WAV) up to these days...
well, not "none" but few.

Reply #15
well, not "none" but few.

I know... ZIOVA and ZENSONIC...
that's not a player, that's the startrek spaceship... too many features...
just kidding... ZIOVA is great... I suppose the version with DVD tray actually plays DVD-Video...
The cost is around USD 299. Here that would be like $ 1.000.00 after currency conversion.
With importing taxes that could up to $ 2.000.00

Reply #16
I'm just a touch past half-lossless. 56.8% FLAC, 43.2% lossy. I'm actually a bit surprised about that.

Reply #17
79.2% flac playtime today.

Reply #18
I have my lossless and lossy files in separate folders (one as an archive, the other is my iTunes library), but in terms of average bitrate- lossless = 978kbps, lossy = 128kbps.  I recently started my archive from scratch so I only have about 1500 songs at the moment, though I'm sure the numbers will change soon.
Archive- FLAC (-v 8)
Portable- QuickTime AAC (True VBR/-q 77)

Reply #19
100% Lossless (FLAC) and 100% Lossy (MP3).  For every FLAC file I have a -V4 MP3 on a portable hard drive for quick and easy transport or transfer to my portable MP3 player.

Reply #20
100% Lossless (FLAC) and 100% Lossless (MP3).  For every FLAC file I have a -V4 MP3 on a portable hard drive for quick and easy transport or transfer to my portable MP3 player.

I also have transcoded all my files to -V5 MP3 with embedded images for my mp3 player (netjukebox cache).
Eventually I will also get a 100% Lossless / 100% lossy collection.

Reply #21
Encoding : lossless (72.9%); lossy (27.1%)

Average bitrate is 750kbps for all of it.