Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: custom year column (Read 3912 times) previous topic - next topic

custom year column

I am using the latest foobar, 0.9.6.1, and I would like the gui, in the Library Viewer Selection tab, to have a column for the year.

So, I added a Custom Column named Year, with the pattern %Year%.  But the only thing that displays is ?.

But I know that my FLAC files all have Year Vorbis tags inside them, because I see them when I open them with mp3tag2.42.

Furthermore, I did the same technique to create a Custom Column for the discnumber and it works.  (Well, if there actually is a Vorbis discnumber tag present then it displays the number correctly, but if that tag is absent--which it is if the album is just a single disk--then foobar annoying displays a ? instead of blank.  Anyone know how to get foobar to display a blank if the tag is absent?)

I assume that this stuff is not case sensistive, because I also tried %year% too, no dice.

custom year column

Reply #1
Maybe it's mapped to predefined Date column, try enabling it, even without any custom ones.
Or try %date%.
Or $meta(YEAR) for direct access.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

custom year column

Reply #2
Use [%discnumber%], the square brackets will make it do what you want. Note that you can also do things like [Disc: %discnumber%] and you'll only get 'Disc: ' when %discnumber% is present (though you prob wouldn't want that in a column).

Also, if you have the entire date in %date% you can get the year with $year(%date%).

custom year column

Reply #3
Maybe it's mapped to predefined Date column, try enabling it, even without any custom ones.
Or try %date%.
Or $meta(YEAR) for direct access.

Yirka: thanks a lot, using %date% instead of %year% did the trick!

$meta(YEAR) totally failed, however...

Use [%discnumber%], the square brackets will make it do what you want. Note that you can also do things like [Disc: %discnumber%] and you'll only get 'Disc: ' when %discnumber% is present (though you prob wouldn't want that in a column).

Also, if you have the entire date in %date% you can get the year with $year(%date%).

Tom: yup, the [] do exactly what I want, thanks a lot.

custom year column

Reply #4
Several dates are stored in the tags.  There are issues with ALL of them.

For most titles, the date of the recordings is the date of the release of the CD.

However, the release dates for Greatest Hits of Artist XYZ is not the release date of the CD.  I have seen almost every compilation CD come with date of CD release, not date of recording for the track dates.  This gets seen when an artist (or someone else) compiles a list of greatest hits of their 1990s work and releases the CD in 2005.  I am not claiming that all such compilations have junk dates on them, yet with over 25 such in my collection, I have yet to see one that will report correct recording date when the tags are updated from internet.

Also note that the tags store Last Played, Date Added, and Date Modified tags as well, so you MUST get REALLY specific on what you want.