Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I don't need Flac for Windows these days, right? (Read 5477 times) previous topic - next topic

I don't need Flac for Windows these days, right?

I seem to remember having to install flac-1.2.1b on older XP machines, before anything would work with FLAC files.

I'm on a Windows 7 machine today, and I suspect the OS has native support for FLAC, but I could be wrong. Foobar2000 clearly works with FLAC. FLAC frontend v2.1 works fine. MP3Tag is likely to work once I get it installed.

The old FLAC for Windows is no longer needed, right?

I forgot to mention that Windows 7 doesn't seem to recognize the FLAC file extension—it does not "hide" the extension the way it does for other, known file types. This does not appear to effect the operation of the programs mentioned, above.

Re: I don't need Flac for Windows these days, right?

Reply #1
I surely don't know!
But I use f2k since Win95 and *never* installed anything you mentioned. I guess, I started listening to some FLACs within WIN7 or maybe WIN2000. I had a lot of Codecs installed in very old Windows-Systems, but nowadays (aka since 10 years) I have not touched Codec-Packages and f2k plays *every* format out of the box....

EDIT: reading my post, I get the impression, I don't know or don't remember anything correctly....

Reply #2
To the best of my knowledge, MS added native support for FLAC in Win 10 (2015).
Won't be surprised that if you install Foobar, it installs FLAC as well.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #3
I seem to remember having to install flac-1.2.1b on older XP machines, before anything would work with FLAC files.
IIRC that's wrong: you'll have standalone FLAC encoder, but it won't add FLAC support into system or other programs.

Reply #4
IIRC that's wrong: you'll have standalone FLAC encoder, but it won't add FLAC support into system or other programs.

If the FLAC extension doesn't seem to be recognized in Windows Explorer, still appears as a suffix at the end of file names, am I missing something?

Thank you.

Reply #6
If the FLAC extension doesn't seem to be recognized in Windows Explorer, still appears as a suffix at the end of file names, am I missing something?
I don't think so. You can also install Media Foundation FLAC Codec but it looks a bit outdated.

Reply #7
I've never had FLAC for Windows, having used Foobar2000 only since I had Windows 7.

Windows 10 will actually recognise and play FLAC files in Windows Media Player, should you choose to use that particular programme.

Reply #8
::

For pre Win 10 integration of FLAC tags into Explorer you could use "Windows 7 FLAC Property Handler". You may find it here (post #25 and/or #26).

Greetings, ...

::

Reply #9
the old "Flac for Windows"
What's this?

Windows: FLAC for Windows (command-line tools only, the file flac-X.Y.Z-win.zip contains both 32 and 64 bit binaries).

https://xiph.org/flac/download.html

I thought this was a FLAC codec, but it is not.