Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp-VIS-plugs in foobar (Read 168439 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp-VIS-plugs in foobar

Reply #225
This is great. Thank you.

I also ran into the instant crash with Synthesia, so you might want to put a warning on the plugins compatibility page about that.

Reply #226
Do you guys know if there is a vis that displays random pictures given a specified path? Went to winamp site and couldn't find one there.

Reply #227
Sorry for the really out-of-date replying.  I forgot my HA password, waffled on requesting a change, and then, about five minutes ago, realized my Firefox profile in Linux still had it saved >_<

I also ran into the instant crash with Synthesia, so you might want to put a warning on the plugins compatibility page about that.

Warning added shortly after I saw your post; thanks for reminding me.

Do you guys know if there is a vis that displays random pictures given a specified path?

No, but somebody should make one.

Reply #228
Hi

I'm the author of the Mirage visual plug-in. I've just released version 1.01 which fixes the song title crash with foobar/vis bacon.

You can grab it here : http://www.visualprojects.net

I noticed that it is much slower (when framelimiter is off) with foobar than with winamp. Is there any latency between successive calls to Render() ?

Regards
Dylan

Reply #229
First of all, thanks for doing that.  It's really helpful.

For the speed issue with the frame limiter off, I don't know if it's latency or wasted CPU cycles, but I do know what's doing it.  Looks like the timer code hartwork added may need to be revised or dumped in favor of something saner.

Reply #230
Hi, sorry I haven't posted a version that isn't as slow yet, but I got distracted by other things and, more recently, a different bug in foo_vis_bacon that I think I have mostly fixed (WaitForSingleObject is bad).  However, after fixing that one, I noticed that the Climax visualization also crashes on title display and not just on visualization stop like I previously thought.  Could you give me some idea of what you had to change to make Mirage's title display work with foo_vis_bacon so I can get that issue ironed out?  One plugin crashing I was prepared to write off as an oddity, but two is a much stronger indication that something's wrong.

Reply #231
Hi

in fact the problem I had with song title is that I was relying on : HWND hwnd_winamp = FindWindow("Winamp v1.x",NULL);
Obviously if the plug-in is running without Winamp, there's a problem. The more correct way is to use the hwndParent member of the winampVisModule. But in the strict context of a _Winamp_ plugin, both methods are equivalent. Bottom line : whenever a plugin uses FindWindow (which by the way is advertised in the Winamp vis plugin SDK as a valid way of interfacing with the player, otherwise it should not be even mentioned in the plugin SDK), there is a potential crash if used with a wrapper (or at least missing functionnality and/or unexpected behaviour if the code has triple checks everywhere).

Regarding the speed problem, I noticed that opening the Preferences dialog of the Bacon coponent before running the vis plugin makes things a little better. Dont know why it would change anything though.

Also, regarging the windowing problem you mention in the tested plugins list, I didn't saw it because I currently use foobar 0.8.2 with its out-of-the-box Windows-like interface. I guess you are using the skin component, and that this component uses layered windows. If it is the case, I'm afraid the problem is neither Mirage nor foobar, but the GDI itself. Here is a quote that popped a few days ago on opengl.org's forum :
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: WS_EX_LAYERED and OpenGL together?
View: Complete Thread (3 articles)
Original Format
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win32.programmer.gdi
Date: 2002-06-05 10:18:55 PST

Hi, Craig.

Unfortunately, OpenGL (and DirectX) can not be used in a layered window.
The hardware performs all rendering and will not incorporate the
semitransparency effect displayed by a layered window. In fact, if you
create a layered window and you move it over an OpenGL application or
windowed DirectX application, you will see "flashing" of the layered
window, since the hardware will draw the 3D primitives directly on the
primary surface, drawing over the layered window and the layered window
will immediately redraw itself in a semitransparent state. Note, this will
only occur with hardware accelerated OpenGL and DirectX applications.

Thanks,
-Greg
Microsoft Developer Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply #232
Hmm, I could change the classname to match Winamp's and see if that makes any of the currently-broken plugins work.  It'd interfere with foo_winamp_spam as well as regular Winamp, though.  Also, though I also use the default interface, it turns out that I had transparency turned on and the slider moved all the way over to full opacity.  In addition to messing with Mirage, it slows Milkdrop and probably other things down by a factor of around five or so.  I probably shouldn't have put it up on the site without checking other plugins first; sorry about that.

I should be posting a version that doesn't crash Mirage when visualization is turned off later today, but I have to finish testing my changes to make sure they don't break other things and I'm almost out of bandwidth for the month (free hosting :/  ).

EDIT:  foo_vis_bacon minus0.29 has been posted and the list has been updated.  I have two megabytes of bandwidth left, so if you don't get it by the end of the day, you'll have to wait until August.

Reply #233
An alternative to Winamp-Vis... ?

I don't know if anyone's heard of G-Force,  I found it last week.  It's what I've been after for a while, namely a decent player-independent visualization program. It looks really cool (especially for me when using my old TV as a second monitor), and is very customizable, as you can set variables and save presets via keyboard shortcuts and scripts. It's shareware, with an infrequent text display suggesting you buy the full version. Doesn't seem to take up too much resources, and simply visualizes the line-out.

Sorry if everyone already know about this, but I was really impressed.  Maybe if you're into the more 3D visualizations you migh think it sucks, but I definitely don't.
G-Force Homepage

Does anyone know of other good player-independent programs like this?

Reply #234
Hi

I've never used visualizations for winamp.  I was wondering if anyone could suggest to me their favorite visualization plugins that I could use for this great plugin.

Thanks

Reply #235
Thanks for continuing your work, bleh.

Reply #236
Hmm, I could change the classname to match Winamp's and see if that makes any of the currently-broken plugins work.  It'd interfere with foo_winamp_spam as well as regular Winamp, though.

I think it would be a bad idea. Keep it simple and clean. If there are compatibility issues for a plugin outside Winamp, IMO it is still the plugin author's responsibility to correct it if possible. On the other hand, the author could also throw compatibility away and develop for Winamp only. You just can't handle every corner case on your own.

I should be posting a version that doesn't crash Mirage when visualization is turned off later today, but I have to finish testing my changes to make sure they don't break other things and I'm almost out of bandwidth for the month (free hosting :/  ).

EDIT:  foo_vis_bacon minus0.29 has been posted and the list has been updated. [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=228832"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great work on the stability side. I didn't get a single crash with this release (even with kill vis on flush enabled). Foobar w/ foo_vis_bacon is now my development platform

Reply #237
I've never used visualizations for winamp. I was wondering if anyone could suggest to me their favorite visualization plugins that I could use for this great plugin.

Milkdrop is pretty much the benchmark.  Mirage is showing a lot of promise and will probably as good once it's had more time to mature.  G-Force is another good one.
I think it would be a bad idea. Keep it simple and clean. If there are compatibility issues for a plugin outside Winamp, IMO it is still the plugin author's responsibility to correct it if possible.

I knew it would be a bad idea when I brought it up, but I thought it might help with some plugins.  It didn't, so it's not happening.
Foobar w/ foo_vis_bacon is now my development platform

Um, wow.

Reply #238
hi where can i download foo_vis_bacon.dll ?
do i need others files?

Reply #239
Right now, you can't download it anywhere because I exceeded my traffic limit for the month and I don't want my site to get booted from an otherwise decent free host.  After August 1st, it'll be available again at http://potatoriffic.f2g.net/bacon/

Reply #240
You can use this temporary mirror: click

I'm not sure how long this file will be available from here!
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #241
thanks !

Reply #242
but i need this file msvcr71.dll to run bacon!!

Reply #243
but i need this file msvcr71.dll to run bacon!!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr71]http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr71[/url]

Or search for it on your system, its probably there somewhere

Reply #244
Once you get it, it goes in the same directory as foobar2000.exe.

Reply #245
Or C:\windows\system32? doesn't that work too? and then each application which would like to use this dll would find it when it looks for the dll.

edit - According to MS (next post) this is not a good idea! Though some program installed before might have placed the dll here, so maybe you won't need a copy of that in foobar's folder - like in my case.
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #246
That would work as well, but Microsoft recommends against it as it's not technically a system library.

Reply #247
This thread has been silent for quite a while, is this component still in development? I sure hope so .

-Thor

Reply #248
It isn't really being developed anymore because I'm not sure what to do with it next.  There are still some Winamp plugins that have severe issues, but I ran out of ideas for things that might fix them over a month ago without any success.  If I have some major revelation that allows me to fix everything, I might go back to working on it, but it's pretty much stalled at this point.

Unless there's some feature you really want that would be sane to implement...

Reply #249
And what about foo_vis_ham for sonique plugins?
Did you make any progress?