Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Issue streaming FLAC files over home network (Read 2602 times) previous topic - next topic

Issue streaming FLAC files over home network

Hi - I wonder if you can help me!

I have a small but frustrating problem streaming FLAC files (ripped from CD in Media Monkey as FLAC compression level 6) over my home network. I'm streaming them as SMB shares from a Synology NAS 218+ via the latest Sky Broadband router over Powerline Ethernet cables to an Oppo 203 blu-ray player, and occasionally a Denon 4200 receiver.

For some reason, the track name/time display on the player randomly falls out of sync with the music that's playing. The display may indicate that track 17 has started while track 16 is still playing, for example. Sometimes it's off by a few seconds, sometimes by half a song! Sometimes the display is ahead of the music, sometimes behind.

I've tried every combination of equipment to try and fix it. I've tried streaming over wi-fi (even worse!). I've tried streaming from a Windows 10 laptop (same thing). I've tried streaming from an older Sky router (same thing). And as I say I stream to both Oppo 203 and Denon 4200 and the issue is the same across both devices.

I'm at a loss to understand what's causing it and what I can do to correct/avoid it. Is it a problem with the FLAC decoding process? Could it be the software I used to do the ripping (Media Monkey)? Could it be the compression level I'm using? (level 6) My wife streams MP3s (with different software) and doesn't seem to have the same problems...

I'd be hugely grateful for any help! Thanks :)

Re: Issue streaming FLAC files over home network

Reply #1
Probably an issue with Oppo 203 blu-ray player, Denon 4200 receiver or NAS.

Since you are using latest routers and Ethernet cables bandwidth issue is unlikely. Since FLAC is open source you can be sure that all the applications use the same library, the official one. Compression level will not effect decoding process.

Check and see if the FLACs stream alright to your phone/laptop/other hardware using an app that supports SMB shares. VLC comes to mind.

Reply #2
I’ve sometimes seen problems when using powerline adapters, like flakey connections or sudden performance dips. Try not to use a microwave oven on the same circuit, and maybe just try another wall socket.  Sometimes this helps.

But this is of course a pure assumption—your powerlines might be fine, this would have to be measured.

Reply #3
SMB
Just to make sure, SMB is file sharing, you need this share to put the audio on the NAS.
However, streaming audio players like the Denon often use DLNA  to get both the meta information and the audio itself.
Are both Oppo and Denon using SMB or is it DLNA (older DLNA implementations can be a bit buggy)
If so, does the DLNA server (218) do any conversion?

When using MediaMonkey on a PC, can you play the audio with the correct meta data on a PC?
If so the problem is probably not the FLAC but the DLNA.

TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #4
SMB
Just to make sure, SMB is file sharing, you need this share to put the audio on the NAS.
However, streaming audio players like the Denon often use DLNA  to get both the meta information and the audio itself.
Are both Oppo and Denon using SMB or is it DLNA (older DLNA implementations can be a bit buggy)
If so, does the DLNA server (218) do any conversion?

When using MediaMonkey on a PC, can you play the audio with the correct meta data on a PC?
If so the problem is probably not the FLAC but the DLNA.

This is a very good question.  The Oppo is definitely SMB sharing. I choose that option specifically from the Network menu because I prefer gapless playback. But the Oppo is easily the worst of the two players when it comes to this audio/display mismatch.

The Denon receuver I'm not so sure about. I haven't chisen anything specific to my knowledge but it does playback gapless so maybe there is something going on internally...?

Everything plays perfectly on my laptop and also when streaming through Synology's DS Audio app on my phone and tablet

Reply #5
I just ripped a test album using dbpoweramp. Compression level 5.

Using DLNA on the Oppo 203, the player's display remained perfectly aligned with the music, but obviously there was a gap between tracks.

Using SMB shares the Oppo display once again started to lag behind. First a second, then another second, so it was a good 6 seconds behind before I turned it off.

So its definitely something to do with DMB shares.

I'm not sure how my Denon receiver is able to perform better, and gaplessly...

Reply #6
<i>but obviously there was a gap between tracks.</i>
Yep, gapless can be implemented using DLNA but it is not part of the DLNA standard.

Wonder if this has anything to do with SMB.
The 203 simply read the FLAC from the share, meta data included.
For some reason it is slow or fails to update the meta data displayed

Maybe this one? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2676801-official-oppo-udp-203-owner-s-thread.html

TheWellTemperedComputer.com