Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows 7 problem: Double click not working on Explorer (Read 6337 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows 7 problem: Double click not working on Explorer

I have not been able to find a solution for the following problem on the support forum.
A similar one is discussed on http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofive...php/t70558.html but the thread ended without a solution.

Problem (occurs with 0.9.6.9 and 1.0):
As expected, if one double clicks a file associated with fb2k on Windows Explorer, it plays it (or it is launched and then plays it).
However, with Windows 7, doing the same yields nothing (first time the cursor's rotating circle briefly appears; afterwards nothing at all may be noted).

Similarly, by right clicking a file and clicking either Play with foobar2000 or Enqueue in foobar2000 on the context menu, nothing happens.

Preferences > Shell integration > Set "Enqueue" as the default action being set or not just changes which action appears in bold on the context menu but fb2k still "ignores" the user action.

Reply #1
Maybe I should have added that the problem occurs exclusively with foobar2000. Any other application is launched by double clicking a file in an Explorer window.

Reply #2
I am using Windows 7, and I have no such problem with double-clicking files from Explorer. Are you running foobar2000 elevated?

Reply #3
I am using Windows 7, and I have no such problem with double-clicking files from Explorer. Are you running foobar2000 elevated?

How to?
I've just created a database using the Compatibility Administrator (as described here) but no success.
In fact, foobar2000 is the only program that doesn't react to double click or context menu.

Reply #4
I was asking because running elevated could impede the operation of the shell extension, which is installed to allow for opening more than 15 files at a time using the shell context menus or the sidebar. (or selecting the whole lot and pressing the enter key.)

Reply #5
You could create a log of the failure using Process Monitor (explorer and foobar2000 processes only) and provide it for analysis.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #6
You could create a log of the failure using Process Monitor (explorer and foobar2000 processes only) and provide it for analysis.

As suggested, I have uploaded a ProcessMonitor log file; it's available here.

During the period shown on the log I tried to open a file ("06 Hodie.ogg")
-  by double clicking it;
- by selecting it and right clicking "Play in foobar2000.

The full path of the file (which shows on the log) is:
"E:\MUSIC\~\_\Anoniem=Polyphonie Aquitaine du XIIe sie?cle (St. Martial de Limoges)~Ens. Organum;Pérès\06 Hodie.ogg".

Note that it's only foobar2000 that's not opening files associated to it on Windows 7.

Reply #7
Reading the log, the shell extension finally tried to launch "C:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" with the relevant command-line parameters to open the Ogg file, however it failed with STATUS_ELEVATION_REQUIRED error both times.
I don't what could cause that, foobar2000's manifest says it should be launched with the same elevation level as the invoker. Do you still have that Compatibility Database entry you've experiented with earlier active? It might be hiding the real problem now...
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #8
Installed 1.0 on another Win7 machine (nobody else complained about my problem...) - everything worked as it should; then, on the problem machine

- removed the compatibility database (it was an overkill!);
- uninstalled foobar2000 using Revo Uninstaller;
- manually removed "foobar2000" entries on the register (except file associations);
- reinstalled 1.0.

it's working normally - I somehow messed with something earlier.

Thank you very much, kode54 and Yirkha!