Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DacMagic 100 (Read 3349 times) previous topic - next topic

DacMagic 100

I'll keep this succinct.

I fell over, knocked over my right Polk Audio LSi9 and a CB-20 speaker, my entire PC, Ruined my external hard drive (8 years of my life), and my DAC does not work now.

It shows signs of life with it's blue lights, but only comes through the speakers very faintly even at near max volume on foobar2k and the amp itself. The PC recognizes the device. The power is fine, tried multiple USB ports. Nothing. What happened? I have no money so this is a kick to the skull. Thanks.

Re: DacMagic 100

Reply #1
I have a DacMagic 100. I don't see any sort "reset" in the manual. Sure the amp made it out of the accident unscathed?

Reply #2
Since so many things broke at once it is possible something other than the DAC is broken.  Try to find a friend who will let you plug it into their system.  You might be able to salvage the hard drive by removing from its enclosure and plugging it into a hard drive dock.  Again, its possible the PC is the cause of the problem.

Reply #3
Ruined my external hard drive (8 years of my life), and my DAC does not work now.

Once you fix the current problem, backup, backup, backup. All drives will go bad, the only question is when.

Reply #4
Ruined my external hard drive (8 years of my life), and my DAC does not work now.

Once you fix the current problem, backup, backup, backup. All drives will go bad, the only question is when.

It's also possible that the drive is recoverable. I've had external drives go bad and recovered them with PhotoRec included with the TestDisk program (it's command-line only but by reading the wiki provides the steps with screenshots).

For backup I now use Macrium Reflect since it offers a few features my previous backup tool Image for Windows didn't and has the benefit of being easier to use. I prefer image backups though there are any number of backup solutions.