Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Using FAAC for encoding movie audio track (Read 4101 times) previous topic - next topic

Using FAAC for encoding movie audio track

Hi,

For capturing analogue TV shows (yes, old stuff isn't it?), I'm using mencoder and x264. Not sure about what to use for the audio track though.
With mencoder, I can only use FAAC and no other AAC encoder, at least without going through a hassle. Now I wonder, is that better or worse than lame at the same bitrate? Bitrate should be around 80 or 96, definitely not above 128 (if using AAC, for lame I'd go with 128 to be on the safe side).

I tried looking for information about this, but most sources are from 2005 and therefore not very up-to-date. How does FAAC (1.28) compare nowadays?

Reply #1
FAAC does not do well at all at 128Kbit/s last time I checked. You would be better off using LAME or an alternative AAC encoder such as Apple's AAC encoder.

Edit: I don't know mencoder, but Vorbis might be the best option by muxing Vorbis and H.264 into a MKV container.

Reply #2
I've encoded, with Handbrake (which uses faac aac encoder), numerous DVDs, with average bitrate of 112 kbit stereo. No problem as far as I can hear.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #3
ffmpeg with hi-quality fdk-aac integrated does the job too.

ffmpeg -i INFILENAME -c:a libfdk_aac -profile:a aac_low -flags +qscale -global_quality 3 -afterburner 1 -vn OUTPUT_AAC.m4a

Reply #4
Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations. I think I'll just use lame preset 96, my capture card does only mono anyway, and that should be enough for that task and is easy and unproblematic.